most useful fooger...

Everything Phatty.
jgirv

most useful fooger...

Post by jgirv » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:06 pm

...noticed how many of you have listed MoogerFoogers in your signatures...

which one(s) do you find most complement the LP? Obviously the Voyager can take advantage of the most CV inputs/outputs... are some of the Foogers wasted with the Phatty?

I have a Stage II LP, so would some of the features of certain foogers be redundant?

..any opinions appreciated.... Santa may bring some Moog gear!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:07 am

Eventually, I want to get the MF-101 and 104z. The MF-102 ring mod is absolutely brilliant with the LP, and even more so when hooked in conjunction with the MF-103 phaser. It's inexplicable, in fact. The CP-251 is an absolute must have.

Off topic, but kinda on topic, I want to eventually remove the speakers that are in my Farfisa Matador-R combo organ, put 1/4" jacks on the old speaker wires, have an on/off switch on each jack, and be able to plug 'Foogers into the jacks. That way, I can use an MF-103 on one output to get a Leslie effect, while running the sound through an MF-101, without the two 'Foogers actually interacting with one another. The Farfisa has a twin speaker monophonic setup, and I can add resistors to the switches and jacks to avoid overpowering the 'Foogers. The output is only 5 watts per side.

In other words, 'Foogers are your friends. Actually, I've played around with the MuRF, and while an interesting effect, not really my cup of tea right now. But it may be something for you to consider. It's all a matter of personal opinion, but definitely take a look at the Ring Mod, Low Pass Filter, and CP-251. You'll find that redundancy can have interesting effects, for example, two LFO's.:mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:46 am

I don't think that you will find yourself regretting buying any fooger, or that ANY is a waste, unless you really have a problem trying to justify to yourself why you should pay 700 bucks for a delay pedal.

But having a Voltage controlled delay is so nice and its extremely warm, and is the longest analog delay on the market. Some have 2. Some people have 2 sets of all Foogers.

Basically, I don't think Moog is finished with the LP yet. They will probably build an expansion box for it allowing for all kinds of interfacing with the Foogers various options. And theres always a Midi to CV converter, so Im sure that you can still have almost as many functions for modular patching through a Midi Interface such as that.

I don't own a LP but Ive played one. But you can tell from my signature what I do own and let me put it to you like this, there isn't much redundancy.

One simply can't have too many oscillators, despite what you might think.
One simply can't have enough attenuators, multiples, or Noise sources.
One simply can't have enough LFO's.
One simply cannot have enough Filters, even if they are all of the same type.
I don't think anyone would complain if they had several lag processors either.

Look, the 102 and the 103 both have LFO's as well as the cp251.
The 101 and the 107 both have Envelope Followers. I don't think that you can have enough envelope generators or even sequencers.

It may seem like a particular effect is redundant, but when you are running your filters in a series, and one LFO is controlling the cutoff of one and the sample and hold rate of the second one, you still want an LFO for vibrato. You still want an envelope generator to control the mix amount, you need 2 sequencers just for data arrays, and 2 for the bassline and the melody. Then you have 2 Freqboxes acting as extra Oscillators for sample and hold and tracking. Why do you think people had these huge modular synths?

Basically the more you have, the more you can do and I can't think of anything that would be redundant about that.

Its just like drummers who have a million drums, a million cymbals, 2 hi hats and 3 snares and 5 rides, 4 congas and a partridge in a pear tree. It just depends on how complicated that you want to make it.

Now that ive said all of that, how much usefulness would you get out of a buttload of Foogers with the LP? A lot but not as much as youll get when they eventually make an expansion box and I surely believe that they will because they are aware that the lack of CV outputs really limits the LP.

So give it some time, and perhaps you might tell us which Foogers you were really looking at and we might can give you an Idea that better matches your situation.

It is nice being in the active market for some new gear, especially Moog gear!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:35 am

The analog delay is probably the best Moogerfooger to complement my Little Phatty. It adds so much thickness to the sound although it isn't the best delay for high registers. I also like to patch the delay out through the phaser and combine the signals on the mixer, especially when I use both ouputs of the phaser for stereo it creates a warm and spacious delay which covers both frequency spectrum and stereo field.

You can't go wrong with any of the Foogers though, if you don't need the effect in a particular track you can always use its control voltage capabilities to spice up the sonic palette of your Little Phatty.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:01 am

...thanks for all the great and detailed replies...lots to think about...I agree that each MF would provide a useful modulation source...and yes, having multiples of LFO's, Filters, etc. is musicaly exciting.

I am mostly interested at this point in either the Freqbox or the CP box...

Since the LP has CV INs only, just considering if the lack of CV OUT's affects the use of the CP especially. I have a EP pedal, and would pick up another for sure. (I have also used a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal, but the EP's response curve is so much better; another topic, that is!)

thanks everybody.

And Voltor, we don't hate you!!! (and THAT's another post!)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:17 am

jgirv wrote:...thanks for all the great and detailed replies...lots to think about...I agree that each MF would provide a useful modulation source...and yes, having multiples of LFO's, Filters, etc. is musicaly exciting.

I am mostly interested at this point in either the Freqbox or the CP box...

Since the LP has CV INs only, just considering if the lack of CV OUT's affects the use of the CP especially. I have a EP pedal, and would pick up another for sure. (I have also used a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal, but the EP's response curve is so much better; another topic, that is!)

thanks everybody.

And Voltor, we don't hate you!!! (and THAT's another post!)
It's good to know I'm not despised as much as people like to make it seem. I'll be staying away from that one particular thread, though. :wink:

One can never have enough EP-2's, which is why I built my potentiometer bank. I need to build more pot banks though. The Phatty works very well with the 251, though the 251 can't do as much with the LP as it can with the Voyager. They make a great pair, though. The MF-107 is also a great thing to have. I'll pick one up when I have more room. Everything's a bit crowded right now, in case you haven't seen my YouTube vid. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:19 am

Excellent posts guys.

I think the RingMod & Delay are best suited to complement the LP with the Filter coming in close 3rd.

But since I have no sequencer yet (c'mon Moog, make us a sequencer!), the MuRF offers welcome animation.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:37 am

As others have said, the CP 251 will allow you to do some really nice modulation things with the LP. The MF102 is also a useful choice, while the MF103 is a great Phase Shifter and offers lots of sonic possibilities you may want to consider a MuRF, each offers several filtered “pattern” effects that can either be step sequenced like on the filtering or more complex smooth phase shifter like, you have to spend some time working with it. The reversed pattern alone is worth it :) . It is cool though that the 103 has a stun and kill setting on it though :) .

At some point look at the MF104, it’s a very warm, organic sounding analog delay, placing the MF102,105 or even 103 in the loop gives you even more flexibility. As I’ve posted before though the 104 is not for everyone. If you want clear pristine delays you’ll want something digital, if you want warmth with say a little grunge, get the 104 :) .

To go along with the Foogers alos look into something like the Lexicon MX200, it will give you several reverbs and digital delays along with a few other bread and butter effects.

smut

Post by smut » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:09 am

I'm thinking about to modd the LP with CV-jack out's if it is possible.
That would be the most interesting way to use the moogerfoogers.

has anyone else the same idea?

Extraborg

Post by Extraborg » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:56 pm

How funny! This is just the question I was pondering this morning, so thanks Smut for asking it. I, too, would like a Moogerfooger and was wondering about which would be the best one. I already have an analog delay, so I think a second would be overkill. I'm tempted by the phaser and the Freq box.

I'm not really sure what the point is of the CP 251, especially since the LP now has sample and hold and noise as modulation sources. What, exactly, can you do with the CP251?

smut

Post by smut » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:34 pm

hi Extraborg,

first of all, thx that I'm not a alone with this idea.

I got my LP last week, so I couldn't check the cp-251 till now. But I also have a yoyager and vx-351, so that's the background of my comment. I would be glad to use the 251 and further foogers with both devices via CV.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Think hard about the MP-201. It opens up a lot of options via CV and MIDI.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Maskin,
You know Ive found that My delay doesn't exactly work perfectly with bass notes but shines in the highs, until I get in the extreme upper register (like the last octave of so on the rhodes) which it doesn't do that well.

Extraborg,
Well the cp-251 really affords the owner a host of modules from the Modular Synth days. Multiples, Attenuators, Mixers are like utility modules that took up space in a rack but are really essential but not necessarily as wonderful as having Oscs and multiple filters.

Basically if you have any 1 MoogerFooger, it in itself will perform at least 2 different CV functions.
If you add the Cp251 to those Functions, then you can multiply, combine, attenuate (lessen), randomize any of those functions.

At first I didn't see the point of the CP251 when I first got my RIng Mod several years ago. But it is an invaluable resource.

Here is an example of a few things that you can do with the Cp251:

With the Ring Mod and the Phaser, you can combine the LFO's with the mixer of the 251 to simulate arpeggios when routed back into LP or Freq Box.

A Cp251 will also allow you to make the Ring Mod and the Freq track your Vintage Moog stuff as extra Oscillators.

A Cp251, if you have a host of Moog stuff essentially will serve as an extra modulation Bus, which you can't have too many of, and will serve an owner of voltage controlled hear very well.

And also consider that just because the LP has Sample and hold and a noise source, I stand by the fact that you can't have too many of any 1 modular function. THere simply is no redundancy.
If you are using the noise source on your LP to have a good filter sound in your solos, then you might can use an external noise source in conjunction with an external filter like the Murf or the Phaser to create ambient type slow wind noises.

You are only limited with your imagination provided that you have lots of patch cords.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:26 pm

IMO the MF-102 is the best start out fooger, as it gives you something ro run your LP through, and rivals the CP-251 in terms of the modulation options it can provide.

From a more aural viewpoint though, my favorite mate for the LP is easily the 104z, as analog delay+LP is just heaven. You can TASTE the awesome w/ that matchup. :)

special mention: If you have a CV-MIDI converter, the MF-107 can give you a 3rd osc for the LP or a killer fx box. Modulation options similar to the 102 (albeit much much higher in hz) are here too. Definitely consider it!
www.ctrlshft.com

T7

Post by T7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:27 pm

MF-105 MuRF, FTW