LP and Dave Smith Mopho

Everything Phatty.
voodoochilimoog

LP and Dave Smith Mopho

Post by voodoochilimoog » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:45 am

Hey everyone. Does anyone have any complaints/commendations about the Dave Smith Mopho being used alongside their LP? The Mopho sounds good and it's dirt cheap, just wondering if anyone has both and likes how they compliment each other.

lovedroid

Post by lovedroid » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:48 pm

Well, this is not exact answer to you question, but I can tell you that the Phatty and the Evolver make magic together! :)
And since the Evo and the Mopho have quite a lot in common I can't imagine that LP+Mopho wold be a much worse combo...
New Modern Angels
Electropop! - LPTE, MEK, uQ, SQ80, P6...
myspace - twitter - facebook

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:52 am

What I can say is that LP bass/leads + Prophet 08 pad/fx does wonders, which would make me think that the poly would be more useful in combination with the LP than the mono (given that the Prophet 08 can also work in the classic two-oscs mono mode)
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Cool thing on the P8 is when you are in Mono mode you can place it in single or stacked with all 16 osc's on one key. You can also chose to setune them. The P8 and Lp are a nice combination. Of course the LP/P8 and Voyager and just about anything is a ncie combination :)

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:28 pm

I'm rolling w/ a DSI Evolver (basically the Mopho w/ digital oscs and effects), Moog LP SE2, and a Future Retro XS, and I'm glad to report it's a dream come true. DSI's chip-filter sound is very different from the moog ladder sound so it really allows for a great pairing between the two units.

If you are considering a purchase of the Mopho though, I'd highly suggesting dropping the extra cash for the Evolver , it's got all the features of the Mopho (sans 100% analog signal path, but the converters are TOP notch in the Evo) plus 2 digital wavetable oscs, 3 delays, distortion, bitcrushing.
www.ctrlshft.com

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:54 am

I've got the LPTE, a P'08se, and a Voyager RME. They're all pretty awesome. I think the Mopho is great, and the sub oscs are probably really cool, as is the audio input.

To my mind, both the Moogs are different enough from each other, and from the DSI stuff, that they aren't really competing. I think they're all great. The Evolver is something I'd like to get my hands on... you might want to check that out... the mono keyboard version is easy to get around on, and has a lot of cool stuff under the hood.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm

I like the little bugger. Great sound. Initially, I bought it to augment the capabilities of my Yamaha general midi keyboard, but i hooked it up with pretty much everything, including the LP.

I thought about it as a couple of extras OSc's, that could help build up the patches of the original MiniMoog. Not doing all that great on this in particular, but the Mopho works well with the LP in a two outputs mode going into a mixer.

Edit : (DSI sequencer text removed) got my facts wrong about the DSI sequencer and MIDI. It must have been through software I got a sequence into the LP.

otto

Post by otto » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:18 am

CTRLSHFT wrote: If you are considering a purchase of the Mopho though, I'd highly suggesting dropping the extra cash for the Evolver , it's got all the features of the Mopho (sans 100% analog signal path, but the converters are TOP notch in the Evo) plus 2 digital wavetable oscs, 3 delays, distortion, bitcrushing.
This is simply not true. I've owned a desktop evolver, MEK, mopho and currently own a P'08.

There is actually a big enough difference in the overall sound of the mopho that if it is the mopho you like I would get the mopho. The addition of the sub-octave generators also add a lot of bass potential to the synth. It has an all analog path and is much more capable of vintage sounding analog bass.

The analog side of the evolver is somewhat muted and well, very vanilla sounding to me. Of course I love the evolver concept and sounds but think about it as a simple analog synth is missing the point. You can build your structure on the analog voices and get to really interesting crazy places with the digital voices and effects. However, an evolver doesn't sound like a mopho and if your after another basic analog synth whith a different character to the LP I would get the mopho. If your after somethign completely different, interesting and potentially crazy, get the evolver. The P'08 is a great synth which I love. However with the sub-octave generators the mopho is a better bass machine.

Celluloide

Post by Celluloide » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:31 pm

Well I've just posted this for someone who wants to hear the difference between DSI & Moog. This is a short demo using DSI Evolver only. The drum sound is from sampled DR-55 sound. The lead & PWM bass are from DSI Evolver.

http://vvs.x-y.net/files/uv1b.mp3

I think this is quite distinct from Moog ladder filter.
I tried so similar lead sound with Moog LP stage II, but personaly I feel Moog LP's one is thicker than DSI Evolver's.
Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Clavia Nordlead 2X, http://moogsynth.tistory.com/

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:48 pm

Celluloide wrote:Well I've just posted this for someone who wants to hear the difference between DSI & Moog. This is a short demo using DSI Evolver only. The drum sound is from sampled DR-55 sound. The lead & PWM bass are from DSI Evolver.

I tried so similar lead sound with Moog LP stage II, but personaly I feel Moog LP's one is thicker than DSI Evolver's.
Cool demo! That patch almost makes the Evolver sound like a Polymoog. Almost. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 pm

otto wrote:The addition of the sub-octave generators also add a lot of bass potential to the synth. It has an all analog path and is much more capable of vintage sounding analog bass.
+1 on the great bass sounds from the Mopho. Very fat...

I'm having a ball with my Mopho spittin' out bass lines controlled by my MFB Step64 (tempo controlled by drum machine) and noodling lead lines w/my Voyager OS. Analog hog heaven...

Celluloide

Post by Celluloide » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Celluloide wrote:Well I've just posted this for someone who wants to hear the difference between DSI & Moog. This is a short demo using DSI Evolver only. The drum sound is from sampled DR-55 sound. The lead & PWM bass are from DSI Evolver.

Cool demo! That patch almost makes the Evolver sound like a Polymoog. Almost. :?
Thanks for the comment :) Wow. It sounds like a Polymoog? I never thought of Polymoog.

Celluloide

Post by Celluloide » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:34 pm

lovedroid wrote:Well, this is not exact answer to you question, but I can tell you that the Phatty and the Evolver make magic together! :)
And since the Evo and the Mopho have quite a lot in common I can't imagine that LP+Mopho wold be a much worse combo...
Is that you Christian from NMA? In a picture, I saw you playing DSI MEK(or PEK?) and Moog LP on stage. Which one do you prefer in synth bass usage between DSI Evolver and Moog LP?

Admiral Acid

Re: LP and Dave Smith Mopho

Post by Admiral Acid » Mon May 24, 2010 8:25 am

I bought a Mopho last weekend and wrote this piece of wrongness on it:

I have to say I love it. :) The whole tune (other than the drums) is the Mopho, using mostly custom patches made via the Mac patch editor.

http://www.wix.com/marksalisbury/Admira ... %253D%253D

Gord Newman

Re: LP and Dave Smith Mopho

Post by Gord Newman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:05 pm

I have found the Mopho to be a very nice companion for the Little Phatty.
I find the Little Phatty perfect for nice, buzzy sawtooth wave goodness. For the ole' Prophet-type oscillator sync sounds, the Mopho kicks butt. Sometimes I just like to stack them up: sawtooth on the LP and square wave on the Mopho.

Cheers,
Gord
Playing classic rock using: LP Stage 1, Roland VK 8, Korg SV 1-73, DSI Mopho, Roland XV 5080 and Neo Ventilator.