Tribute Upgrade

Everything Phatty.
Xenollop

Tribute Upgrade

Post by Xenollop » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:57 am

Hello,

I know it's been circulating here and there on the forum, but as I haven't heard much talk about it lately I thought I'd ask:

When is a hardware upgrade going to be available for the LP TE, if at all?

I'm interested especially after playing with the SE's presets in Guitar Center recently...it seems to fit my style of music better than the TE's capabilities, but I couldn't possibly part with my TE. I consider a $1400 instrument worthy of any reasonably priced upgrades, it's like putting a better stereo in a car.

cheers!
Little Phatty Tribute #525, MF-102, MF-105, APC40, LPD8, Ibanez SR3000E Bass

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:52 am

If Im not mistaken, I think Amos said that "Someone is working on it right now."

If I was to get a LP, Id certianly have to go with the tribute edition, I don't care if it had the upgrades or not.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:25 am

EricK wrote:If Im not mistaken, I think Amos said that "Someone is working on it right now."

If I was to get a LP, Id certianly have to go with the tribute edition, I don't care if it had the upgrades or not.
O RLY? Interesting. What are your reasons, Eric? Is it the wood side panels? The dirty filter? The pink and blue lights? I'm curious. IMHO, the Stage II is a far superior instrument, with all the hardware upgrades and such. Even my own Amos Gaynes Signature Edition can't stand up to a Stage II. :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Roetsj

Post by Roetsj » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:39 am

Just contact Amos,he will know.
A TE is special,I know,I own one.

One of only 1200 made.....
Keeping it analog

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:33 am

THe Wood side panels are a must. I like the giant signature on the back. I appreciate the Tribute Edition concept for what it is.

Any synth can probably be made better. They will probably include a USB port on the Voyager. My partner suggested installing a bluetooth inside it. There is always something that can be better.

If they could have the tribute edition with the features of the Stage II that would be something.

After consideration, I think Id really have to seriously consider a rack based Phatty as an inexpensive means to duophony.

Call me obsessive but that Bob Moog signature is plenty of features for me lolol.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Xenollop

Post by Xenollop » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:26 pm

There's something about the ambient look of the TE that's incredibly appealing (for me at least)...Frankly, I don't find the ketchup and mustard light scheme of the Stage all that appealing.

I use my phatty primarily for Sound Design for video/film projects and it's incredibly useful, not to mention dark ambient tracks. The idea of having a few more options for sound sculpting is incredibly enticing.
It might be a too much of wishful thinking/assumption but I'm really hoping the upgrade is $200 or less.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:58 pm

Xenollop wrote:There's something about the ambient look of the TE that's incredibly appealing (for me at least)...Frankly, I don't find the ketchup and mustard light scheme of the Stage all that appealing.

I use my phatty primarily for Sound Design for video/film projects and it's incredibly useful, not to mention dark ambient tracks. The idea of having a few more options for sound sculpting is incredibly enticing.
It might be a too much of wishful thinking/assumption but I'm really hoping the upgrade is $200 or less.
Interesting...of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of which light scheme works better. I myself chose what I feel is the best of both light combinations. I also prefer the wood panels, and will eventually get my buddy to make some...once I get the rest of my act together. (5 DIY projects in various stages of completion).

As for the upgrades, I'd be surprised if they were less than $250, and may even be closer to $300, depending on what upgrades you're interested in. My Stage II side panel was $100 by itself. Just my $700 billion. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Xenollop

Post by Xenollop » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:45 pm

Hmm, that's a good point. I guess my optimism is a little idealistic.
I'm not bothered too much by USB input, I care more about stuff like Arp, Midi Clock, the noise fix and second mod destinations that come with the Stage 2. But in reality...I can wait.
Hell, I'd almost rather put the money toward a MachineDrum if it's going to be closer to $500.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:12 am

Xenollop wrote:Hmm, that's a good point. I guess my optimism is a little idealistic.
I'm not bothered too much by USB input, I care more about stuff like Arp, Midi Clock, the noise fix and second mod destinations that come with the Stage 2. But in reality...I can wait.
Hell, I'd almost rather put the money toward a MachineDrum if it's going to be closer to $500.
It has been said that the only way for a noise fix is to switch out the circuit boards and replace them with Stage II boards. It has also been said by Amos that he would be willing to switch out the Stage II lights with Tribute lights on said replacement board...for a cost. The boards he would sell at cost. $260 dollars or so. I don't know if the standard customization charge would apply if you wanted the Tribute lights. If so, that would be $85 an hour for a couple hours. And there's also the cost of 100+ lights. At a dollar each.

Total cost, figuring all these factors, would be roughly $530. Steep, yes. But with the Stage lights, it would be roughly $260. Plus whatever shipping, labor, etc.

dlearyus

minimum upgrade requirements

Post by dlearyus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:35 pm

was wondering if only ram required for LPTE 2.0 ? I dont have a noise problem fortunately (not that i notice anyway) so im assuming all i need it more ram? if you could please give me the chip number required i have someone who can do surface mount replacements or perhaps provide a kit for such? ie chip and caps (if required). i think since release of OS is imminent it would be prudent to be ready ;)

Cheers ;)

DL

LPTE #585

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi gang,

Here's the latest news, so read carefully. :)

Operating System v2.00 for the LP Tribute Edition is almost ready. This OS update brings the arpeggiator, tap tempo, and midi sync LFO features to the LP Tribute Edition. This OS update requires a physical memory upgrade to your LP Tribute Edition, as the new 2.0 code is too big to fit on the TE's original memory chip.

We are offering a special factory upgrade deal; if you can send your LPTE to the Moog factory, we will not only upgrade the memory and install OS 2.00, we will also replace the CV sample-and-hold chips in your LP which are the source of the "high frequency intermodulation" noise that some folks have reported in the LP TE noise thread. This results in a cleaner and clearer sound and better signal-to-noise ratio. We'll do all these upgrades, as well as fully test, calibrate and tune your LP Tribute Edition, for the edit: corrected but still decent price of $145 USD.

If you are outside the USA, we can make the chips available at an extremely low price, and work with you to find a qualified technician in your region who can do the upgrades.

Also in the works:
For people who have a Tribute Edition and aren't getting the memory upgraded, for whatever reason, we are also going to release a new OS v1.04 for Tribute Edition only; This OS is basically the same as the current OS 1.03Tc, with the addition of a new "Auto" mode for the EGR Matrix. This new mode addresses the problem with scanning noise in the LPTE filter, caused by scanning the panel buttons in the Envelope section. This noise typically manifests itself as a fixed high-pitch noise that is most audible when playing low bass sounds. The current LPTE operating system has an "EGR MATRIX: ON/OFF" parameter which, when OFF, eliminates this noise, but it also prevents you from using the panel buttons in the Envelope section. Not a good compromise. The new "Auto" mode will allow you to use these panel buttons while still eliminating the scanning noise. This new EGR Matrix "Auto" mode is also included in the v2.00 OS for the Tribute Edition (described above).

Stage Edition circuit boards with blue LEDs - Voltor07 mentioned this; the idea is that one could swap out the Tribute Edition circuit boards for a new set of Stage II boards, with the Tribute Edition lighting colour scheme. Unfortunately, I don't have any new information about this... I was waiting for a price quote from one of our PCB vendors, and I have not heard back about it. I'll shake that tree again today and see if anything falls out. :)

OK, I think that's everything.... cheers, all!

-Amos
Last edited by Amos on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:30 pm

Amos wrote:Hi gang,

We are offering a special factory upgrade deal; if you can send your LPTE to the Moog factory, we will not only upgrade the memory and install OS 2.00, we will also replace the CV sample-and-hold chips...

Stage Edition circuit boards with blue LEDs - Voltor07 mentioned this; the idea is that one could swap out the Tribute Edition circuit boards for a new set of Stage II boards, with the Tribute Edition lighting colour scheme. Unfortunately, I don't have any new information about this... I was waiting for a price quote from one of our PCB vendors, and I have not heard back about it. I'll shake that tree again today and see if anything falls out. :)

OK, I think that's everything.... cheers, all!

-Amos
Amos! Good to see you again! Everything's wonderful, then! :mrgreen: So now (maybe) the Tribute owners will be happy? What a great deal that upgrade is! I don't reckon too many people will want the circuit boards changed if they can have the noise fix and upgraded memory, but I'll leave that for the Tribute owners to decide, and keep my mouth shut about it. :mrgreen:

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Amos! Good to see you again! Everything's wonderful, then! :mrgreen: So now (maybe) the Tribute owners will be happy? What a great deal that upgrade is! I don't reckon too many people will want the circuit boards changed if they can have the noise fix and upgraded memory, but I'll leave that for the Tribute owners to decide, and keep my mouth shut about it.

Cheers m8 you have to be BY FAR to most prolific poster in the history of this forum. So nice to see ALL our posts/questions answered so quickly. Keep up the good work, i would be sending a resume to Moog if i were you.

;)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:49 pm

dlearyus wrote:Amos! Good to see you again! Everything's wonderful, then! :mrgreen: So now (maybe) the Tribute owners will be happy? What a great deal that upgrade is! I don't reckon too many people will want the circuit boards changed if they can have the noise fix and upgraded memory, but I'll leave that for the Tribute owners to decide, and keep my mouth shut about it.

Cheers m8 you have to be BY FAR to most prolific poster in the history of this forum. So nice to see ALL our posts/questions answered so quickly. Keep up the good work, i would be sending a resume to Moog if i were you.

;)
ROTFLOL! I can hardly tell if you're being serious, sarcastic, or both... :? Thanks, I guess... :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I guess I should leave this site for a while and see how much I'm missed (or not) after a month. :wink:

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 pm

i was being friendly/funny/we love ya voltor...you bring a nice refreshing enthusiasm to the forum

cheers m8 ;)

i WAS serious about the resume tho....every company needs energy like that ;)