Well, my LP is going out of town...

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

Well, my LP is going out of town...

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:16 pm

And I miss it already! :cry: Anyways, when it comes home, it will be even cooler than before. I guess I'll just be playing with my 'Foogers until then. A great big THANK YOU to Amos for all his great support, and the rest of Moog, as well as everyone on the forums. I will post another thread when it comes back, as well as a link to the YouTube video I will make in honor of my LP coming back home...whenever that may be. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Links to pictures are on page 3. It even has a new place in my room!
Last edited by Voltor07 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:03 pm

So I got AWESOME news from Amos! There was a loose ribbon cable! That means NO REPAIRS!! YAY!! :mrgreen: So everything is great, and I should have my LP back by Wednesday or Thursday of next week, depending on when it gets shipped from the factory. I'm so excited! :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dave500

Good News

Post by dave500 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:21 pm

Congrats :D
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks dave500! :mrgreen: Amos will start the modifications on Monday, so it may be later than I anticipated, but I'm still thinking Friday-ish for a return delivery date.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:34 pm

A loose ribbon cable....meaning that you could have plugged it back in yourself?

You know one thing though that I think that was a part of Bob's vision that to some degrees was lost? I think that since he was building theremins, and even to a degree with the voyager, when you order a product, it comes with schems and specs and instructions on how to modify things...and we were encouraged to learn electrical engineering.

ALl the old manuals tell us how to make a V-trig to S-trig plug' tell us how to rewire the 1120 foot pedal to do this or that. The theremin comes with a manual about "hot-rodding the theremin" and they even included extra power supplies and a red tuning tool.

When you buy the vx-351, you have to install the piece so that it will route the voltages to the acessory port on the back.

I think ultimately Bob wanted you to see the gizzards of his creations. To not only be happy with the way they looked and sounded, I think perhaps his real pride was actually trying to get people to learn the instrument...inside and out.

I wish Amos or someone who knew him could chime in on this.

HOpe you get your axe back soon!

Respectfully,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:07 am

EricK wrote:A loose ribbon cable....meaning that you could have plugged it back in yourself?
Yes...go ahead...call me stupid. I'm not. Those ribbon cables are very small. The sockets they fit in are just as small. I had the cables seated as tightly as I could possibly get them.

Apparently, there was one that was being extremely stubborn, that, after half an hour of seating, unseating, powering the LP on and off, plugging and unplugging, etc etc, the stupid thing STILL wouldn't work right, and I sure wasn't going to try to troubleshoot a SURFACE MOUNT board that I had no chance of fixing myself anyways!

Also, I am working on a color changing light circuit for the pitch and mod wheels, the schematics for which were kindly provided to me by Kevin Lightner. If Bob REALLY had envisioned a plan for expansion of the LP, do you think the boards would be surface mount? :roll: I REALLY hate surface mount! :evil: But the pitch and mod wheel lights are hot glued. So I CAN modify that!

And yes, thank you for sharing my enthusiasm for getting my Amos Gaynes Signature Edition! Which is exactly what it will be when I take delivery of it! :mrgreen:

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:54 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
EricK wrote:A loose ribbon cable....meaning that you could have plugged it back in yourself?
I did walk him through checking the ribbon cables, and before he sent the unit in he'd already re-insterted them which fixed 99% of the problems the unit initially had after its accident. The cables really are small and tricky; there were like 2 pins not connected out of 50 pins.
I used a special tool I have to tighten down the cables after insertion, so I had a bit of an advantage in getting it all straightened out.

Plus now that it's in the shop, we get to pimp it out custom-style... :cool:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:54 pm

[/quote]

Plus now that it's in the shop, we get to pimp it out custom-style... :cool:[/quote]

Yay! :mrgreen:

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:35 pm

naw im not calling you stupid V, lol. You just don't understand! You are talking to someone who was really nervous installing his chip to get the vx-351 to work. Man I didn't even want to breathe on the electronics lol. I felt cool though at least being elbows deep under the hood of something that I had no business whatsoever working on. Im not mechanically inclined. I probably get screwed bigtime at the auto shops lol.

Amos..are you trying to make me envious? Can i send my voyager in for a customized filter overdrive? :D

No, seriously though, Do you think that I was accurate in saying that Dr. Moog wanted us to really try to learn engineering so that we could all better understnad the science?

Respectfully,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:44 pm

Hmmm...perhaps in the old days, when hole-through was king on the circuit boards. Now, I'm not so sure. I was rather impressed by the design of the LP insides when I had it apart. I installed the Stage II side panel myself, and was impressed on how simple it was to do that. No soldering involved!

There are some clues in the LP that suggest you are correct on your Bob's Mindset Theory, as it shall be referred to from now on. :lol: For example, there are jumper pins on the circuit boards that ar not in use and look as if they were meant to be future expansion ports for something.

Also, the +/-5 and 15V pins are easily accessed for someone who can make use of them. So there may be some truth to what you say. Only Bob knows for sure. I'm sure he wanted his customers to at least be familiar with electronics. Like me. Which is not the same as being an engineer. Which I'm not.:)

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:42 am

Voltor07,

Can you please tell us what mods Amos will be doing to your LP?

Thanks

Dean

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:08 pm

slabwax wrote:Voltor07,

Can you please tell us what mods Amos will be doing to your LP?

Thanks

Dean
Cool! Someone is interested in my Blue Light modification! I am getting all the amber button LED's replaced with blue ones. This will mean that the final product will be a three-color front panel. Just the buttons, though. The little square lights stay, as do the knob lights. Also, Amos has agreed to sign the back panel, making the final product a Little Phatty Amos Gaynes Signature Edition! The only one of it's kind, I believe. And DO NOT waste your time looking for it on E-Bay, because it will NEVER be there. I was originally thinking green lights, but I figured I'd make it easy for Amos and go with blue ones, since those were already on hand. :mrgreen:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:34 pm

OMG OMG OMG! It's getting modded TODAY!! So excited! It makes me want to dance like an idiot! :lol: I can't wait to see the three colors together in their awesomeness! So happy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Ok. So I've E-mailed Amos...still no response about when the LP gets back to me, or any answer to the questions I had for him. I'm so stoked about getting it back though! Amos said in an e-mail to me "It looks rockin'!" yesterday, so I'm super excited to get it back! :mrgreen:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Ok. So I've E-mailed Amos...
And he E-mailed me back...WITH PICTURES!! And it looks nothing short of ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! OMG! I'm so excited! <insert happy dance here>