DSI Mopho

Everything Phatty.
toryjames

DSI Mopho

Post by toryjames » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:49 pm

I would rather have a tabletop Little Phatty, I am certain it would have more visual appeal and grace.
It looks like the E-mu XL-7 Command Station, Dave Smith needs to hire an artist to do design work (not an electrical engineer who dabbles in graphic design).
...having said that, I will probably end up buying one. Haha... though I will have to scrape the face clean with sandpaper and steel wool.
Actually he could have stuck with the look of the prototype:
I know, when have I designed a synthesizer? (Never.) Yes, everyone's a critic.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:25 am

As you point out, Moog didn't do a tabletop Little Phatty
Or a reasonably priced poly analog, for that matter
But thank god, they do have the Moog Guitar, the Voyager OS and several Little Phatty editions
As for the Mopho, well, I kinda like this design, I think it's fun
I would buy that (if I hadn't just ordered a Prophet08) (there, I said it)
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

cwinkels

Post by cwinkels » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am

The graphic design aspect doesn't bother me nearly as much as the relatively small size (and number) of knobs and buttons. A proper Pro One style interface (both with and without keyboards, thanks!) would be ideal - and I know I'd pay for it.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:48 pm

Quite true, even the Virus Snow has more knobs than that
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:05 pm

It looks like something Digitech would make...though I like the red button labeled "push me" :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Roetsj

Post by Roetsj » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:55 pm

I like it,clean looking,simple and hopefully sounding good
Keeping it analog

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:02 am

I like the idea of synths being a bit more eye catching these days. I think it's a good marketing move... you always know when someone in a band is using a Nord.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:32 pm

peterkadar wrote:I like the idea of synths being a bit more eye catching these days. I think it's a good marketing move... you always know when someone in a band is using a Nord.
Stupid red so-and-so...Chuck Norris needs to roundhouse kick all those red Nords so they all turn blue. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:00 pm

It's ironic that some of us will complain about the look of the MoPho, but not about the name of the Little Phatty. [C'mon Moog, you can do so much better than name a kick-ass synth after a 1940s cartoon character... Just sayin'...]
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:27 pm

I had a chance the other weekend to try the MoFo, it’s not a bad little synth. Actually it’s one voice Prophet 08 with a few added features ( Sub osc and “feedback”) and as you would expect sounds just as warms and punchy as the 08 . Programming it from the front panel would be a chore at best, but there is software to program from a computer or you can MIDI it to a Prophet 08 and use it’s knobs to adjust the MoFo.

:) I don’t mind the name of the LP at all :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:36 pm

I must admit, the name Little Phatty made me question if I wanted one or not. It wasn't pretentious enough for a Moog I thought. :lol: Then I played it in the music store, and realized no other name would suit such a beast. All doubts were cast aside. This MoFo however, looks like a DOD guitar effect. :lol:

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:03 am

ewwwwwww
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39 am

I'd like a Mopho. With all my extra cash I have laying around. LOL!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Right off the bat, I give high marks to DSI for daring dressing the squarest of all project metal boxes into something bold, although looking a bit toyish. That was the right thing to do. Conservative by nature, I contemplated doing a make-over of the external shell, new paint job, stickers, whatever. Lots of work. Since then, the looks of the yellow box have grown on me, and I am happy with it.

But this is all cosmetics. What's important is the sound. The Mopho really delivers on that one.

Most people will complain about the small numbers of knob, making programming sounds difficult. For one thing, the way assigning the knobs works, it's not all that bad, but of course not as good as a full knob job. Luckily, my BCR2000 comes in handy :)

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:11 pm

I finally bought a Mopho this past week. I am happy with it (it is certainly worth $400) but I must say the sound and physical design of the Little Phatty IS worth 3X the price of the Mopho. Though the signal path is analog there is a whole lot of digital control processing going on in that little yellow box that becomes apparent once you start editing the sounds. Again I am happy with it, but I would never trade my LP for 3 Mophos.