When ? --> LP OS 1.04 & 2.00 for Tribute Edition

Everything Phatty.
theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:27 pm

Assar wrote:Thanks, theglyph. I guess you are working for Moog.

Just because you are a small company you should take care of the customers you already have. First time buyers are likely to become second time buyers - if they are satisfied. And the LP is a 'my-first-moog-product'.
Assar, reality became very scary when Dr. Moog passed into another world!

We were scared!! :cry: Cyril Lance came in and took Bob's design, the LP, and made it a reality! He's an amazing engineer who's working his butt off with Amos and others to create an amazing CV device that Bob would be very proud of (mutipedal)!! He's a great guy and he's doing an amazing job but he's under alot of stress and he knows that TE owners need to be taken care of!!

I know that you are unhappy with the LPTE and i'm so sorry! There is no reason for you or anyone to be unhappy with a piece of gear that you spent good money on to have a good time (aka jam:))!

Most TE owners don't notice or aren't bothered by the noise but you are so please contact Amos or Moog ect. and we will try to help you.

Assar

Post by Assar » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Ok, theglyph, keep up the good work (and skip the bad). Business life can be hard. But you have good products and enthusiastic customers, a little like Apple. You also have a very strong trademark. Be careful with that!

As a customer I want good value for my money and a product that works as it's supposed to.
As a Moog lover I want you guys to continue producing synths.

It's not easy when these two things don't work together.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Amos

clarification

Post by Amos » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Just to clarify:

the "replacement boards" I am talking about are LP Stage II boards.
As I said before, there was no possible way to make a second revision of Tribute boards because we ordered the quantity we needed for the intentionally-limited Tribute Edition, and it was done.

Our earliest opportunity to re-design and improve the hardware was with the Stage Edition; we made these improvements exactly as soon as we could.

The reason I didn't suggest that Tribute customers should consider buying replacement circuit boards any sooner, is that it is my absolute last option in the face of all this criticism. I simply don't know what else to suggest. The Tribute was our first attempt at a new monosynth since the Voyager, and it's not perfect. We improved it for the next edition. End of story. If you want improved hardware, it exists, in the form of the LP Stage and its circuit boards. If you want those circuit boards in the body of your Tribute Edition, we can do that. I can work with our customers overseas to find the nearest qualified Moog technician, or I can provide instructions for the technically-adept who want to fit the boards themselves. It's not difficult if you are careful.

Now, of course the Stage boards have amber LEDs and not blue. If the reason you are unhappy with your LP relates to the sound, then perhaps you will not mind to have perfect sound with different-colored LEDs. Nobody can hear what color the LEDs are.

The only way to get Stage boards with blue LEDs is for somebody like me to replace all 100+ LEDs by hand. I am willing to do even this, provided I am paid fairly for the time and materials it will take to do the job. This is completely fair to ask. I will investigate what it would cost to contract a technician to replace all the LEDs on a batch of boards, so that this will not be a problem... but I cannot promise anything; I would need approval from Moog for such a scheme. If this can be done in the first place, I will find out what it would cost for a set of Stage boards, modified with blue LEDs. If I can get some number of people who will commit to purchase these boards at the given price (once it is known), then perhaps I can talk the Moog management into making this possible.

I think any reasonable person will see that I am doing everything possible to help. I'm sorry that the situation has caused so many hard feelings.

haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:25 am

I can provide instructions for the technically-adept who want to fit the boards themselves. It's not difficult if you are careful.

If the reason you are unhappy with your LP relates to the sound, then perhaps you will not mind to have perfect sound with different-colored LEDs.
yes it will be great if i can change the board myself,
and i d'ont mind the led color, just want the sound to be ok...

how can i order the stage II board ?
and for how much ?

Xenollop

Post by Xenollop » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:15 pm

I'd love the replacement as well, although I'd definitely prefer the Tribute Light Scheme....Or else I might as well just sell it and get a stage. I'd love it either way though.
Little Phatty Tribute #525, MF-102, MF-105, APC40, LPD8, Ibanez SR3000E Bass

Voltor07

Re: clarification

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:55 am

Amos wrote:Just to clarify:

As I said before, there was no possible way to make a second revision of Tribute boards because we ordered the quantity we needed for the intentionally-limited Tribute Edition, and it was done.

Our earliest opportunity to re-design and improve the hardware was with the Stage Edition; we made these improvements exactly as soon as we could.

The reason I didn't suggest that Tribute customers should consider buying replacement circuit boards any sooner, is that it is my absolute last option in the face of all this criticism. I simply don't know what else to suggest. The Tribute was our first attempt at a new monosynth since the Voyager, and it's not perfect. We improved it for the next edition. End of story. If you want improved hardware, it exists, in the form of the LP Stage and its circuit boards. If you want those circuit boards in the body of your Tribute Edition, we can do that. I can work with our customers overseas to find the nearest qualified Moog technician, or I can provide instructions for the technically-adept who want to fit the boards themselves. It's not difficult if you are careful.

Now, of course the Stage boards have amber LEDs and not blue. If the reason you are unhappy with your LP relates to the sound, then perhaps you will not mind to have perfect sound with different-colored LEDs. Nobody can hear what color the LEDs are.

The only way to get Stage boards with blue LEDs is for somebody like me to replace all 100+ LEDs by hand. I am willing to do even this, provided I am paid fairly for the time and materials it will take to do the job. This is completely fair to ask. I will investigate what it would cost to contract a technician to replace all the LEDs on a batch of boards, so that this will not be a problem... but I cannot promise anything; I would need approval from Moog for such a scheme. If this can be done in the first place, I will find out what it would cost for a set of Stage boards, modified with blue LEDs. If I can get some number of people who will commit to purchase these boards at the given price (once it is known), then perhaps I can talk the Moog management into making this possible.

I think any reasonable person will see that I am doing everything possible to help. I'm sorry that the situation has caused so many hard feelings.
Something tells me that a Little Phatty Select Series will be the next Moog product after the Multipedal...I sure would be interested in a blue LED board...and black rear panel, of course! But I am happy with the performance of Stage I #1326...perhaps I could just buy the blue LED's? :mrgreen: After all, as long as I have the USB function, I may as well go all out on mods. At least, until the Select Series comes to be. :lol:
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, Lowrey Teenie Genie.

dlearyus

boards n chip n tings

Post by dlearyus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:35 am

for those of us that dont have or dont care about the noise problem is there still a memory upgrade possible to enable OS v2.0? without replacing the whole board?

cheers :)
LPTE #585

Rudelius

Re: clarification

Post by Rudelius » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Amos wrote:Just to clarify:

This seems a bit worrying. It might mean that spare parts for the TE will
be hard to come by in the future. If some of the main boards are broken,
it might render the TE useless, unless re-stuffing it completely with the
Stage or Stage II boards. At least already some of the blue leds on my
TE have faded somewhat, although I think it's not too problematic. It will
be when more important things get broken that are only used in the TE.

BTW, I hope there still will be updates for the TE, for one, I can't run
software version 1.03c and above, because of tuning problems (high
pitched whine on several notes of the keyboard). A fixed tuning table (if
that is what it is), as on the versions below 1.03c might help I think.
Luckily it still sounds great :-)

haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:31 am

already some of the blue leds on my
TE have faded somewhat,
yes mine do that too... some are indigo and some are now cyan...

djghostdogg

Post by djghostdogg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:27 pm

word on the street is that the Multi-pedal ships in 3 weeks. so , I'm sure the LPTE new OS will be started as soon as they ship the Multi-pedal.

no worries people.
LP TE - MF-101 - MF-102 - MF-104z - MF-103 - CP-251

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi, guys!

I have a nice little update for you.

The Multipedal is starting to ship now, and the LP Tribute OS 2.00 port is officially back on the Engineering calendar for this upcoming quarter.
So, we're on it; just as I have always promised.

Also, for anyone who is concerned about availability of spare parts for the Tribute Edition: don't worry! We have a decent-sized stock of Tribute parts reserved for our service department, including wood side panels, circuit boards, knobs, LEDS, and all the bits and pieces you might need.

Additionally, I have submitted a request for a quote on what it would cost to have one of our vendors replace all the amber LEDs with blue LEDs on a batch of Stage II circuit boards... once I have this cost, I will be able to determine a price for Stage II boards for your Tribute, for anyone that is interested in this option. Stay tuned for more info.

Always trying to provide the best support in the industry,

Amos

Rudelius

Post by Rudelius » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:43 pm

Amos wrote:Hi, guys!

I have a nice little update for you.

The Multipedal is starting to ship now, and the LP Tribute OS 2.00 port is officially back on the Engineering calendar for this upcoming quarter.
So, we're on it; just as I have always promised.

Also, for anyone who is concerned about availability of spare parts for the Tribute Edition: don't worry! We have a decent-sized stock of Tribute parts reserved for our service department, including wood side panels, circuit boards, knobs, LEDS, and all the bits and pieces you might need.

Additionally, I have submitted a request for a quote on what it would cost to have one of our vendors replace all the amber LEDs with blue LEDs on a batch of Stage II circuit boards... once I have this cost, I will be able to determine a price for Stage II boards for your Tribute, for anyone that is interested in this option. Stay tuned for more info.

Always trying to provide the best support in the industry,

Amos

That is very good news! I hope that the new update will clear the tuning
issue, and that I can finally use S&H, and use the filter pole setting for
each patch, to name a few of the nice 1.03c features.

rg

Post by rg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:30 pm

If we replace our TE circuit board with the Stage board with blue LEDs will we lose RAC on the ADSR section?

Thanks
Rob

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:33 pm

rg wrote:If we replace our TE circuit board with the Stage board with blue LEDs will we lose RAC on the ADSR section?
Yes. You can't have everything, I'm afraid.

It is worth pointing out, however, that you only lose RAC on the Attack, Decay and Release; there is still RAC on both envelope Sustain phases.

This makes total sense, as the attack, decay and release phases are not things that you are tweaking "directly" - that is to say, these control voltages are not a direct translation of your knob movement, the way say a filter cutoff sweep is a direct translation of your knob movement into a cutoff CV. With envelope attack, decay, and release, your knob movement is changing a time constant in the envelope generator, and the envelope-CV itself is smoothly generated by an analog circuit. The only phase of the envelope where your knob movement is directly translated into a CV level is the Sustain phase, which is why the LP Stage still has RAC on the Sustains. So, there's no loss in smoothness.

Cheers,

Amos

haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:29 am

he LP Tribute OS 2.00 port is officially back on the Engineering calendar for this upcoming quarter.
This is a good news !