newbian needs help! computer-to-lp query

Everything Phatty.
batdown

newbian needs help! computer-to-lp query

Post by batdown » Sat May 03, 2008 8:20 pm

hi everyone -

I'm a relatively new synthesist and I'm slowly learning my way around my LP. What I do need help with, though, is getting my computer to talk to my LP. I'm not the most computer-literate person. My question is this: I download the .syx file (right?) and it's sitting on my desktop (I'm using mac osx tiger). How do I get this patch file to my LP? I tried reading the manual but unfortunately I think I'm too dense/inexperienced to understand. Can someone help me out with some step-by-step, mac-specific, idiot-proof instructions on how to get the patch files from the comp to the synth?

I recently reset all of my presets because I just started a heavy house band with some friends, and I'll mostly be talkboxing with the LP and wanted to start fresh (it's always exciting to take a fresh crack at shaping new sounds, no?)

anyway thanks in advance for the help - I feel totally lost here.

elliot

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Sat May 03, 2008 8:58 pm

you need to purchase some sort of USB to MIDI device such as:

Midisport UNO 1x1 for like $40

batdown

Post by batdown » Sat May 03, 2008 9:08 pm

I have said device. now what?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun May 04, 2008 9:25 am

batdown wrote:I have said device. now what?
Elliot,

Since you're a Mac user, grab a copy of SysEx Librarian from www.snoize.com.

Connect the MIDI IN and OUT between the MIDI interface and the LP (OUT -> IN, and vise versa).

Install SysEx Librarian, then double-click on the LP .syx file. This should launch SysEx Librarian. In the Destination drop-down menu at the top of the SysEx window, make sure you see your MIDI interface. If not, select it, and then select your .syx file and click on the PLAY button at the top of the window. This will transfer the .syx file to your LP. Note: if the .syx file is a bank file, it will replace the entire patch bank on your LP. If the .syx file is just a single patch file, it will load the LP with just one patch.

Now, if you don't see your MIDI interface in the SysEx drop down, that means you'll need to configure it using the Mac's Audio/MIDI Setup utility, which is another matter (not hard, just a couple of additional steps). Let me know if you need to do this.

Good luck!

Greg

BTW - Check the README file in the OS 1.03c upgrade for more info on .syx transfers.