Anyone have problems with loose pitch/mod wheels?

Everything Phatty.
llamastorm

Anyone have problems with loose pitch/mod wheels?

Post by llamastorm » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I just emailed support about this, but has anyone had a problem with their pitch/mod wheels becoming loose? My pitch wheel is starting to get some side to side play in it and is creaking some.

I was pondering whether it's possible to fix this myself instead of having to ship a huge synth back to Asheboro for just a loose wheel ... even though it should still be under warranty.

Zorn

Post by Zorn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:49 am

Mine as well...
After an year of playing the pitch wheel is squeaky and unstable to the touch, but it's still working good though...
I opened my Phatty and I noticed that this is caused by the potentiometer itself becoming loose...
I will keep it until it works, but now that we're at it, what kind of potentiometer do I need to replace the old one?
I imagine that i should re-calibrate after replacing it...
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:31 pm

Haven't done so yet, but since you've opened yours, did you just remove all of the screws on the bottom to do that?

There are the end cap screws on both sides, the tiny screws around the outside on the bottom, and then the ones on the bottom that look like they are just under the keyboard (I don't want the keyboard to fall off or anything)

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Zorn, thinking about this again -- are you saying that something in you pot is coming loose, or it's something that is attaching the pot to something else?

Replacing the pot seems like it would be a problem, yes.

And I so love my pitch bend :)

Zorn

Post by Zorn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:44 am

In my case I couldn't do anything... everything was tight. It's the pot itself that is loose... Replacing it it's the only solution...
Anyway, if you want to take a look you only have to remove the side panel and the screws below the "metal box" where the wheels are placed.

Amos, can you give us suggestion to find a better and stronger potentiometer?

Thanks!

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:11 am

Bump.

Does anyone at Moog have any info on this and have they seen it before? I still haven't heard back anything from support or the general contact address yet :(

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi, I've been away at a funeral... and I will be extremely busy tomorrow, doing the final testing on the new LP operating system. I'll look into the potentiometer situation as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience!

-Amos

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:40 pm

Sorry to hear that, thanks.

Zorn's just one data point, it might not be the pot -- I can presumably crack mine open and take a look if it's useful.

PHC

Post by PHC » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 am

Any progress on the issue?

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:54 pm

I haven't heard anything either.

Still haven't opened mine up because I wasn't told whether that would be a useful thing to do or not, but any info would be appreciated.

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Bump.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:00 am

Hi, I'm looking into this. It might be a little complicated to replace the pots as the wheels attach directly to them... I have asked for replacement part information but don't have anything yet. I'll keep you posted! This is definitely an issue I'd like to see addressed, for the long term support of LP players.

Cheers,

Amos

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks for looking into this.

I've decided to sell mine (gulp) not at all because of this (I just dig polyphony), so you can ignore my individual case.

I may still pick up a few moogerfoogers in the short term as I like to support a good local NC company :)

Zorn

Post by Zorn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:24 pm

I was wondering if there's an hardware revision for the latest models like Stege II?
If the answer is yes, can it be adjusted for Stage I or Tribute?

My modwheel still works fine but it's even more loose...

Please help, I'm worried for my beloved Little Phatty since I'm not going to sell it for the rest of my life.
Thanks.

Gianni.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:14 am

Yes, there is a recent hardware revision, with an extra metal bracket to relieve tension on the pot shaft. I don't think it is possible to add this bracket to the original LP mod wheel assembly because the plastic frame around the wheels is modified as well. However, I will request some extra left-hand controller assemblies (this is the entire panel containing both wheels) and we can sell this assembly as a spare part. It would be easy to replace the old assembly with a new one. Contact techsupport (at) moogmusic dot com if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Amos