v2.0 - LPTE/SE - OS soon?

Everything Phatty.
haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:28 pm

I agree with you on some parts Amos,
it's just a different point of view
but
i bought a TE over the SE (available at the same time) to be sure to have a "premium" unit witch means for most of users a "better" synth, the one with all the features, the more upgradable, etc. , and no the "beta test" synth. (i know i'm a bit excessive... )
I will work personally with you to try to make the necessary arrangements.
i will ! i thank you for that. i'll install it a soon as possible
If you see the Tribute Edition only for its value to you as a tool,
you might prefer to sell it and get a Stage Edition instead.
no, i still like it :-)

best

rg

Noise fix

Post by rg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:37 pm

Will us Tribute guys still be getting the auto off mod matrix fix for the noise problem? Other than that I dont have a problem with my LP... I bought it for the features that were listed... It's goofy to buy something in anticipation of possible future features... thats why I haven't gotten the Iphone yet :P

Rob G

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:22 pm

Exact same question I wanted to ask!
About the EGR Matrix digitalish noise bug?
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

eweise

Post by eweise » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm not sure I understand the position of the TE owners. Synthesizers are subject to the same obsolescence as other technology driven products. If you bought the first iphone, do you think it would be better than an iphone 5 years from now? Even if they called it a Tribute to Steve Jobs edition, how could it possibly be more valuable than later models?
If you thought Moog has some sort of obligation to keep up the value of your synth by only releasing inferior products to the TE, then you really need to learn more about business and investing.

Technology will always be better next year.

Assar

Post by Assar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:53 pm

eweise wrote:I'm not sure I understand the position of the TE owners.
There is no "position of the TE owners". We all have different views on this matter.
Mine, for instance, is that
1) it is most generous of Moog to supply us with free OS upgrades. That makes it more likely for me to buy a Moog next time.
2) it is not ok to not fix the noise bug. That makes it less likely for me to buy a Moog next time.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:13 pm

like the TE and the SE were at the same time available in France.
and the SE was announce as the "lite" version, i prefered the TE over the SE for that reason.

i was wrong : the TE is now a lite version of the SE.

but i'm glad that moog is making upgrades

woodenturn

Post by woodenturn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:00 pm

Technology will always be better next year.[/quote]

Not sure I agree with that, think there are many examples to be found where it is not the case.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 pm

I do agree with Assar
It's great to have OS updates adding functionalities and if some of them aren't available for the TE, too bad, but I made my choice of the TE and I'll stick to that

On the other hand I expect it to work properly and I'd be very disappointed if the noise issue wasn't resolved in the next update, or WORSE if it was to be resolved by a hardware upgrade

Steril707

Post by Steril707 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:33 pm

Well, i guess it just feels weird the way this upgrade goes.

I mean, i can understand that technology improves, but it's strange to see that the Synth you bought is updated again and again over time, and at the end of the line, you bought something that's inferior to the the more newish designs.

Given that the Phatty is not even two years old, having two revisions already is difficult to ignore. I couldn't care less about the USB port of the LP II, or the extra mod route of the Stage Ed., that's really something i didn't buy the LP for. But if i will be left in the rain when it comes to some other "software" features that owners of newer LPs get, i guess i might be too much reminded of the endless upgrading procedures that modern PCs bring with them (Memory, Graphics cards etc).

In 1986 you bought an Amiga, and were able to use it with almost every game and application coming out up to 1992, where progs started to need enhanced memory. That's four years where i didn't buy any stuff, and my computer was up to the task and ran all of the available software.
Two years ago when i bought my last computer, two months later my 500 Euro graphics adapter wasn't able to display the hardest settings of some games anymore, one year later it's getting kind of trash already and almost doesn't run any high end games anymore.
At the end of the line, i am into consoles for my gaming needs, and use my "shitty 2 years old computer" for daily stuff like internet etc...
I have learned my lesson finally.

Now, this metapher might be hard, but i start feeling a little bit like that with the LP now.
I am so bored of modern electronics upgrade weirdness.

I thought buying a Moog is different in that way, representing some kind of steadiness in this weird world of throw away VST plug ins, that don't run anymore in next years Operating System or PC. But if Moog starts telling me that i cannot install a part of the newest OS Upgrade in my "yesterdays synth" that i bought a year ago it's hard to avoid getting the same feeling that i have on those other electronic appliances, that i am so tired with, and might just buy some old stuff of eBay like i did before. I know that if there will ever be a LP OS 3.0 the Tribute will not be a target "platform" for it anymore.

I am NOT against upgrading technology over the years, but i think it's important to use some common sense how to handle that with your product.

For me my Moog LP is not comparable to an iPhone like someone did a few posts earlier.

And by all costs, i think Moog as a company should try to avoid giving its customers that "modern consumer appliance" feeling.

I love my Little Phatty and don't regret buying one, even if i knew about the LP II i would have bought the Tribute Edition, and am very thankful and looking forward to the upcoming LP OS 2.0, but on the same time i have a weird feeling about the news that the Tribute will not even be able to have all of the software features that the newer versions will get.

Sorry for the long and grumpy old geezer like post, hope my bad english didn't annoy you guys too much. ;)

Mike

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:51 pm

Alesis and Kurzweil stopped making OS updates for the A6 and K2600. All I had left to count on was my Moog. I guess now I'll have to throw my Phatty in the trash along with my Andromeda and Kurzweil. Stupid useless junk.

pangmaster

Post by pangmaster » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:10 pm

jon_kull wrote:Alesis and Kurzweil stopped making OS updates for the A6 and K2600. All I had left to count on was my Moog. I guess now I'll have to throw my Phatty in the trash along with my Andromeda and Kurzweil. Stupid useless junk.
:lol: Just let me know which dumpster you toss 'em in.

But seriously, the fact that Moog is even considering a hardware upgrade option for us tribute owners speaks volumes about how much they care for their customers. Thank you!

Steril707

Post by Steril707 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:23 am

jon_kull wrote:Alesis and Kurzweil stopped making OS updates for the A6 and K2600. All I had left to count on was my Moog. I guess now I'll have to throw my Phatty in the trash along with my Andromeda and Kurzweil. Stupid useless junk.
Must be awesome to deliberately misunderstand other peoples posts and worries, and make fun of them.

:roll:

Steril707

Post by Steril707 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:36 am

pangmaster wrote:
:lol: Just let me know which dumpster you toss 'em in.

But seriously, the fact that Moog is even considering a hardware upgrade option for us tribute owners speaks volumes about how much they care for their customers. Thank you!
Exactly also my opinion. Honestly, i don't want to come across as a ungrateful bastard. I am happy we get the stuff we will get with OS 2.0, especially the diginoise solution.

I hope some people here and maybe somebody at Moog Music understands what i wanted to say in my lengthy post. I am not against upgrades, or new models of something. It just feels weird to have a "LP I and a half" a few months later (the Stage) and the "LP II" coming out when the "I" is just one and a half years old. Does that mean that we will get a "LP V" in 2012?

If some of you people here don't get my thoughts, i am sorry, i cannot help you. I just feel this is not a good path for Moog to tread along...

I am all for new models, and some nice modifications to the existing product line, as long as they stay compatible for a few years.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:30 am

OS updates are an extra to me
I mean, not so long ago, you bought a synth and played it for ages and didn't throw it away because it wasn't evolving
It's an instrument after all, not a PC

Romain

Post by Romain » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:58 am

Khoral wrote:OS updates are an extra to me
I mean, not so long ago, you bought a synth and played it for ages and didn't throw it away because it wasn't evolving
It's an instrument after all, not a PC
I definitely agree with that.
Moog Little Phatty Tribute Edition #1167 | Moog Moogerfooger MF-101 Lowpass Filter | Moog Moogerfooger MF-102 Ring Modulator | Moog Moogerfooger MF-105B Bass MuRF | Moog Moogerfooger MF-107 FreqBox |