Does anyone use the Kybd Sensivity?

Everything Phatty.
PHC

Does anyone use the Kybd Sensivity?

Post by PHC » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:19 pm

How many of you actually use it?
I don't use it, but my articulation abilities suck, that's problably why.

Any skilled keyboard players here that can give an opinion on the keyboard velocity sensivity response of the LP?

IMO it would be better if you could route it to Amplitude as well as Filter.

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Are you talking about the "KB Amount" dial?

If so, that (AFAIK) is an adjustment to the filter based on how high/low down the note scale you go, and has nothing to do with velocity -- i.e. the Moog is not velocity sensitive.

Now, if it were velocity sensitive (as an option?), that would be indeed cool but does the keyboard even transmit that data? I don't think it does.

Honestly for synth sounds it doesn't bother me too much -- if it were a rompler, it would. Originally I thought this was important (like polyphony) and have quickly found the errors of my ways.

PHC

Post by PHC » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:50 am

RTFM Dude ;-) Joke ;-)

The LP's keyboard is velocity sensitive and it can be routed to filter cutoff (velocity -> brighteness). The setting is in the advanced preset menu.
Now I'm asking the above question again... ;-)

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:54 am

Oooh, wow.

Yeah I am allergic to manuals. I just reread it and that's cool. I think my articulation abilities also suck (on synth keyboards anyway) to not have noticed -- I guess I was expecting it to do volume if it did it at all.

I agree, that (amplitude) would be a nice feature for sure.

Filter/Volume/Both would be nice. Or maybe Filter/Overload :)

Mangos

Post by Mangos » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:14 am

i would love to be able to add velocity data to volume/amplitude.
why hasn't this been thought of more?

Playing live and improvising i can see myself using such a function on at least 40 percent of my patches...

mwalthius

Post by mwalthius » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:57 pm

PHC wrote: The LP's keyboard is velocity sensitive and it can be routed to filter cutoff (velocity -> brighteness). The setting is in the advanced preset menu.
Yes, I use this quite a bit. It's almost like being able to tweak the filter cutoff knob but without needing the other hand to do it, like when I am playing two different keyboards at the same time.
http://www.thekeyboardwizard.com

Synth demo videos at http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Assar

Post by Assar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:27 pm

I'm definitely using it. Suprisingly - at least for myself - I use it more often when controlling the LP from a sequenser than when playing by hand.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:12 pm

you can get very precise and detailed articulations if sequencing the LP with carefully-chosen note velocities. Another nice trick is to create a patch with zero Sustain but some amount of Decay and Release... then you can precisely edit the duration of MIDI notes to get different effects from the LP envelopes. Very short notes, shorter than the Decay time, will allow the Release stage to ring out... note durations longer than the Decay time will allow the envelopes to go to zero, for more staccato notes. I use this technique in my hi-hat patches, but it is interesting on melodic sounds also.
(the hi-hats are velocity->filter sensitive also, so you can really swing with them via MIDI).

PHC

Post by PHC » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:27 am

I started experimenting with keyb sens. and I think the velocity response curve is a little to soft. I have to play really piano to get a small response. If I play normally I get the maximal response that I've set in the filter sens. in the menus.

If the velocity->filter is a software thing it would be nice to be able to set it so that only notes played forte would give a full set filter response.

impact studios

Post by impact studios » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:57 pm

I use it for TB-303 style sequences.... :D

robles

Post by robles » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:49 am

impact studios wrote:I use it for TB-303 style sequences.... :D
With the Filter Poles set to 3 I hope...

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:56 am

I use it all the time. It adds so much warmth to my playing, and gives me an almost spiritual connection to my LP. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.