LP2.0 for Musikmesse?

Everything Phatty.
dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:08 pm

The Taurus Teasing is killing me!

First was Moog newly registering the "Taurus" name, then last weeks "Happy Friday" Taurus Patch, and today Amos mentions a "Taurus Patch Collection" for the LP v.2...

Is something going to be unveiled at the Messe? Something to go on the rug?

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:57 pm

/me drools on the arpeggiator specs.

Wow.

Cannot wait.

Literally cannot wait.

/me reloads forum every 15 seconds.

I assume there is also going to be a rate control? Is all of this going to be done through Advanced Presets? A way to perhaps map arp rate to something like the tune knob (dunno) or even the mod wheel would be great.

Also it could be cool if you could turn it off (non-arp) by moving it to zero.

The thing about the mod wheel though is the mod wheel is so useful you wouldn't want to give it up, so maybe if it could take over the glide rate or just use the "Value" knob after a pair of buttons were selected at once?

I can see switching between Arp On/Off really quick would be kinda neat, though I would think doing this in performance mode with two adjacent patches would also effectively do the same thing.

Cool regardless. Thanks!

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:39 am

Hi Floyd; We're not planning on a full-on Taurus re-issue at this time, but we're kicking around some ideas. Part of the kicking-around involved me setting up an original Taurus I and designing the most accurate "clone" patches I could make for the Little Phatty. Then we decided it would be pretty cool to put these patches in the LP II factory sounds. So, nothing you can literally play with your feet at this time, although of course you could use a MIDI pedal board with your Little Phatty.

/me thinks llamastorm has spent a bit of time on IRC, yes?

About the arpeggiator, yes I forgot to mention Rate control. Here's the plan:
The arpeggiator has a choice of one of three clock sources: Internal, LFO, and MIDI.
Separate from this is a clock divider parameter, so that for any clock source you choose you can have the arpeggiator set to play any of the following divisions: 1/32, 1/32 dot, 1/16. 1/16 dot, 1/8 (dot), 1/4 (dot), 1/2 (dot), whole note, whole + 1/4, whole + 1/2, whole + 1/2dot, two whole notes.

When the clock source is set to Internal, you can adjust the internal clock from about 20BPM to about 350BPM. While the arp is running, the LFO RATE knob controls the internal clock rate, without changing the LFO Rate. Right now the UI is not finalized but there should be a relatively simple way to toggle control between the arpeggiator clock rate and LFO rate.

Speaking of the LFO, you can use the LFO rate to drive the arpeggiator directly... in this case of course the LFO Rate knob on the panel will adjust the LFO rate and the arpeggiator rate at the same time... this also means that in this mode the arpeggiator speed will go into audio rate, for some nice Commodore-64-style bleeps and blips.

Of course if the arpeggiator clock is set to MIDI, then the arp. will follow your MIDI tempo.

All of the arpeggiator settings I have mentioned here are saved PER PATCH, so you can set up custom arps to go with your different sounds. We're also planning an "initial clock rate" parameter, so you can save the default speed of your arp along with the other settings.

We're also working on a feature that was requested here on the forum: tap-tempo to set the arpeggiator speed, for playing with live musicians. When we get this in place we'll have tap-tempo for the LFO rate also, which will be nice.

There you have it; more news from the lab...

-Amos

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:47 am

That sounds fantastic...

and yes, lots of IRC :)

Thats for the info!

Novacz

Post by Novacz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:45 am

Very nice news, Amos!
I want it, and I like it! :)

But what about the others?
For example morphing function? :) Or is this a future plan, 3.0. OS maybe?
Or the others are secret?

'Ok, patience'- I always say it to me. :)

Thank you for your works!
Ha Moog, legyen kövér... :)

MINIMOOG Voyager Electric Blue, Moog MP-201, Nord Electro 3, Nord Modular, CRUMAR MULTIMAN S

http://www.mocun.hu

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 pm

Would the idea behind the morphing function be like slowly turning all the knobs between Patch 1 and Patch 2 at a certain rate, rather than a hard change?

That could be crazy weird in a very good way.

(Release the arp first of course! :))

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Amos Wrote
The biggest new features are software-based, and these features will also be available to all LP Stage version 1 owners as soon as the new OS is released.

Does that mean no arp for us Tribute people?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

boose44

Post by boose44 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Amos,

Thanks for the details. You are awesome, dude. Really.

The new Arp sounds like a lot of thought has gone into it.

One question though, what type of output is put out via Midi while the Arp is running? If I have my RME running with my LP what would it recieve?

-bruce
[size=75]Little Phatty SE, Voyager RME, Kurtz PC2x0, Yamaha CS6x & RS7000
TD-12 VDrums, Pearl Masters' BRX, PD-11
Tascam 2488 & 788, Edirol UM-880
[/size]

T7

Post by T7 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Amos,

Will the new LP have any advantages over the current model in terms of user interface? Have any of the hardware controls been changed or are these identical?

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:18 am

Thanks for the details Amos

I'm a little in the fog as well about whether the 2.0 upgrade will also benefit my Tribute edition
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:43 am

Hi Amos,

the arpeggiator will be in the tribute OS2 ?

thanks

ARP

Post by ARP » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:07 pm

-Amos

PS) I think the plan is to include an all-new bank of presets with the Stage 2, including the Taurus patch collection... also, I am playing with the Glide time while the arpeggiator is running and getting some very beautiful squelchy acid sounds... you can toggle Glide on/off for some 303-like slides.

Thanks Amos! Any idea when the LP Stage II will be released...
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

Steril707

Post by Steril707 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:18 pm

MarkM wrote:Amos Wrote
The biggest new features are software-based, and these features will also be available to all LP Stage version 1 owners as soon as the new OS is released.

Does that mean no arp for us Tribute people?
That's the one million dollar question now..

woodenturn

Post by woodenturn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:37 pm

Can't think of why tribute owners wouldn't. Please Amos let us know if we will get all the great features!!

rivas3

Post by rivas3 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:30 am

i just want to say that its very nice to have feedback from an actual representative from moog. thanks amos.
-andy