TE Phatty Noise Thread

Everything Phatty.
Roetsj

Post by Roetsj » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:49 am

Looks like a lot of people are looking for perfection,I know a lot of gear is not perfect,almost every synth I own has a flaw,major or minor.
On my TE the noise is hardly noticeable,really have to cranck up the volume on my Mackie to hear it.
On normal listening volumes I cannot hear it.
I also use a lot of analog effects,also noisy........,JX3P and a noisy chorus.......,EHX memoryman,noisy.....,JEN SX 1000,noisy.......,my Mackie on high volume:noisy.......MC-808,noisy.........
But I like them all,nice instruments/effects.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is an analog?........

If you do not lke it,sell it!,be happy with the free OS-updates,it will make your LP even better!.
Keeping it analog

Roetsj

Post by Roetsj » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:56 am

If you want the perfect synth,you will have to build it yourself!,and no,I am not a MOOG addict/devotee,I just like the classic sound! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Keeping it analog

CheeseDetective

Post by CheeseDetective » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:10 pm

Obviously your TE doesn't produce the same amount of noise as the one I own. The noise prduced by my TE is very obvious.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:32 am

I believe this has already been covered in http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
And it seems that : 1) Not every unit has the issue, 2) When the issue is there, you can't miss it (I have it, so I can assure you it's a REAL problem, an audio artifact that I wouldn't find normal on ANY synth, analog or not) and 3) The engineer guys at Moog are working to solve it
That was in october
No news since then, and as for myself, I switch the EGR off whenever I record to avoid the buzz
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Roetsj

Post by Roetsj » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:55 am

Ok,mine is ok then I guess,did you try all calibrations?.
Keeping it analog

Roetsj

Post by Roetsj » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:09 am

latest OS?
Keeping it analog

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:57 am

I have had a similar problem with my SE..
At first I didn't hear it, but when I compared the sound to my other LP I thought I went nuts!

While calibrating everything I noticed that I plugged the LP in a power supply that wasn't grounded. After changing it to a grounded power supply the problem was solved. :)
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:03 pm

The digital hissing we're talking about isn't related to power supply issues or calibration
It's a bug related to the EGR Matrix scanning process (Amos correct me if I'm wrong;))
It's a real issue for people who have a faulty unit (I'm saying that for people who seem to consider we are whining or whatever), which has nothing to do with the machine being analog
It's a bug, plain and simple, and I'm looking forward to the promised OS update to solve it

dave500

music EP2

Post by dave500 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:03 pm

Khoral was EP2 (free) made with the LP ? Thanks I didn't mean to get of the subject. :shock:
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:17 pm

Khoral wrote:The digital hissing we're talking about isn't related to power supply issues or calibration
It's a bug related to the EGR Matrix scanning process (Amos correct me if I'm wrong;))
It's a real issue for people who have a faulty unit (I'm saying that for people who seem to consider we are whining or whatever), which has nothing to do with the machine being analog
It's a bug, plain and simple, and I'm looking forward to the promised OS update to solve it
Could you upload an example how it sounds?
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm

dave500, no, it was done last year, before I had the LP... I mainly used the Roland SH-32 on this EP!

that's an idea... I'll record something tonight

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:08 pm

All right, here's an example
http://khoralnet2.free.fr/Moog-Hiss.wav

Let me explain a bit what I did
First I played a simple bass patch to give an idea of the volume
The EGR Matrix is OFF
At 00.09, I'm turning the cut-off all the way to the left, so that the digital hiss will be isolated
At 00.11, I'm turning the EGR Matrix ON
Then I'm playing with the modulation knobs and buttons, because for some reason it has effect on the noise
At 00.27, I'm turning the EGR Matrix OFF

It may seem like it's small digital static, but believe me, when you're programming, it becomes very quickly distracting and annoying!

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:30 pm

You are right, that could be really annoying..

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:50 am

I'm also very very disappointed with the noise:( Even considering the overall high sound quality, the noise is unacceptable in a such priced machine and specially in a Moog. I play but only at low levels 'cause the noise is very disturbing to me.

I haven't complained directly to Moog as I trust there's a real solution for the problem. A capacitor and a wires maybe? I'm waiting for someone to open the LP and discover where the problem is.

Amos, do you think is there a hardware solution for this?

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:00 am

What I do is switch on and off the EGR when I want to change the envelope and by all means, I get rid of it when I'm recording because otherwise you just layer up more and more digital noise on your Moog tracks:(

I'm disappointed too
Maybe it's just a few units (I'd be interested to know how many), but for Homer's sake, they only made 1200 of these TE!