LP Glide question

Everything Phatty.
writeroxie

LP Glide question

Post by writeroxie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:35 am

hey guys...
Does anyone know if there is a parameter inside the LP somewhere that lets you choose how the glide reacts?

I feel like on my mg-1 the glide moves from note to note at the same speed regardless of the distance it has to travel. Low C to hi C seems to glide just as quick as gliding from only 3 or 4 steps apart.

I'd like to get a similar glide on the LP. Is there anyway to do this?

thanks!
-Jim

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

Hi Jim,

I'm not familiar with the Source to know if this is how the glide works on it or not... the Glide on the Minimoog, the Voyager and the LP is linear glide, which means that you are setting the rate of change in pitch when you change the glide rate. The rate of change could be expressed in semitones per millisecond, for example... this means that if you are gliding across a bigger number of semitones, it takes longer to get there at a given rate of semitones per second. You could think of it as like a car, where glide rate sets how fast the car is going. You set the rate at a certain speed, it means that it takes a certain amount of time to go a set distance. If you try to go farther at the same speed, it takes longer.

Certain synths do have a non-linear glide where you are not really setting the glide rate, but instead you are setting a total glide duration. If you play a bigger interval in a case where you have a fixed glide duration, it means the glide rate actually has to be faster so you can traverse the bigger interval in the same amount of time.

I don't think this is an option that could be changed via the LP software, as the glide circuit is a part of the synth's analog hardware. However you could use CV control from an instrument that has this non-linear glide (like the "slide" function on a TB-303 for example) and the pitch-CV should glide according to what the controller is doing. Does the Source have CV outs? I haven't messed with one in a few years, and don't remember. I remember liking the sound of the Source a lot though... :)

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:27 pm

Thanks for the response, Amos. I don't have my Source anymore, but that had similar glide to the LP and mini.

It's the Realistic Mg-1 that seems to have a different feel with the glide. Anyway thanks for the answers.
-Jim