Everything Phatty.
MKS-30

I WANT A LITTLE PHATTY RACK!

Post by MKS-30 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:48 pm

:lol:

Anyone agree? Will it ever happen?

LilFatty

Post by LilFatty » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:55 am

IMHO rack designs are a waste of time and so not inspiring to use, well atleast for me and others i know.

I have sold all my rack synths and replaced them with keyboard versions. Nothing beats the direct connection you get between a synth and it's keybed.

LP with the keys makes it a winner imo - a complete instrument.

smut

Post by smut » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:48 am

@ MKS-30:

I agree, but some synths will be sold only as a rack, for instance the "instruments" of Studio Electronics. Are they Instruments or not?

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:42 am

id have to disagree,a rack version would be handy for someone like me,i don't have much space and already have a control keyboard with 12 knobs on ,IF moog did make a vst and a standalone type app to control your synth from a gui ,this would be very nice don't you think?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:07 am

Like the Voyager RME, a rack mount LP (an LPRME?) would cost less than the keyboard version and make the dream of a polyphonic system real for more people.

Yeah, I'd buy one (or more). :-)

robles

Post by robles » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:05 pm

I'm the opposite of Lil Fatty. I go for racks rather than keyboards. You can get cluttered really quick with keyboards. I'd rather have a couple of really good controller keyboards, and tons of rack mounts. Then you're not stuck with whatever keyboard they try to foist on you with your synth.

What always blows me away in the pricing of synths is that there'll be a $100 difference or more between a 49 key and a 61 key version. Same synth engine, 100 buckaroonis for 12 KEYS!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:41 pm

The Access Virus charges the same amount ($2255) for 37 keys and their 61 keys models. So I guess in this case the 61 keys are a bargain. It's still a pretty expensive VA.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:01 pm

robles wrote:Then you're not stuck with whatever keyboard they try to foist on you with your synth.
You know, that is a great point. There always seems to be a big variation in the feel of the keys from one synth to another, and rack mounts certainly eliminate that issue. I don't know about anyone else here, but a keyboard that doesn't have the right feel can have a negative effect on my playing, while a keyboard with the right feel often improves it. And if I'm in a music store checking out synths, I'll spend a bit more time playing with a board that's comfortable versus one that isn't. The feel of the keys is a very important aspect of my buying decision.

Theses days, if a rack version of a synth is available, I'll usually go that way. Space-saving considerations aside, carting a portable rack case and a master controller is preferable to carting a bunch of boards, stands, etc. (and don't forget the added expense of cases/bags to protect all of them). Set up and tear down is simpler, too, since the rack wiring largely stays in place.

Right on Robles!

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:49 pm

Well, if there had been a rack version, that's probably what I would have bought
Because I have a decent master keyboard and I'm cheap :wink:
Now seriously, I agree in principle about the physical aspect of a complete-with-keys synth, but it's not like the LP keyboard is the best thing ever
It's a decent, good one, but that's all, it wouldn't have been a big deal to me not to have it
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Assar

Post by Assar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:30 pm

If there was a 19'' rack-LP I would consider bying a second one!
I definitely NOT want or need another keyboard ... no space left ...
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

MKS-30

Post by MKS-30 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:45 pm

Yeah, I was thinking of something similar to the voyager rack mount, i.e. lots of knobs :wink: . I think this would be a natural thing for moog to do next, would it not? I'd buy one ('cos I can't afford a regular phatty :cry: )

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:51 am

LilFatty wrote:IMHO rack designs are a waste of time and so not inspiring to use, well atleast for me and others i know.
Perhaps you should try placing the rack closer to your keyboard. :wink:

There's a voyager rack. Can't imagine a racked up Phatty is too far behind.
MF-102, MF-103, MF-107

crs.one

Post by crs.one » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:40 am

when it comes to origins, i think the only reason the keyboards were slapped onto the synths was because it was a familiar method of control. a downside of that is that people kind of view it and compare it to a piano, or maybe digisynths like the triton, making it so i have to explain to people that the keyboard is deceptive, it's its own instrument.

then again, i'm such a tactile person, i can't break away from a self contained synth. it's like you develop a relationship, the two of you dance, rather than just having a frankenstein rack with one or two controllers, pointing to one out of a line and saying "you! sing!"

it should be only because it leaves people options. but you won't ever see a rme in my rig.
crs.one