Urgent help needed! LP unresponsive after firmware update :(

Everything Phatty.
Ghost

Urgent help needed! LP unresponsive after firmware update :(

Post by Ghost » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:40 am

Hi guys, i am really hoping that someone here can help me, i just tried to update my LP stage to the 1.03c firmware (i did download the correct installer, not the Tribute!) but for some reason the LP did not restart itself after the update. The readme that came with the updater said that it would take around 30-45 seconds to complete, but nothing was happening after 5 minutes or so, so i was left with no choice but to turn the LP off and back on again.

Now when the LP starts up there is no startup routine, it just sits there with 'SEND FIRMWARE SX' on the lcd panel and all buttons are unresponsive :(

Trying to launch the updater again does nothing, it just says that it completes succesfully but the LP does not change.

Is there anything i can do to bring the LP back to life or am i going to have to send it somewhere for some attention?

Thanks in advance for any help!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:11 am

First off what program and software are you using to send the update? on mac with sysex librarian i have no problems updating but on my friends pc using midi ox it was troublesome to say the least but we got there in the end.

So let me get this straight nothing happens when you send the firmware at all? Have you tried sending an older version of the software? Maybe the download of 1.03c got corrupted somehow in the final stages of download? also with midi ox you have to mess around with the buffer size as too much data can get sent at once using that program from what i can remember. the buffer size may need to be increased so try that as well if you are on pc.

Bottom line-Id re-download the new software and try sending it again.You havent destroyed your LP as its still says something on the display. Theres enough of the basic software in there to do a re-install.Failing that im sure Amos will chime in very soon. Good luck.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:17 am

I updated using the executable loader from the download section of the site. It seemed to update ok, but instead of rebooting automatically after the 'stage 2' of the update process, it just sat there and did nothing, which is why i had to restart the LP myself. Now when i try to run the updater again it either does nothing at all, or shows the 'stage 1' then 'stage 2' messages, but still does not reboot :(

Since my first post i have also downloaded the Librarian software demo and tried to update from that also, but i am still having no luck.

Where can i find older versions of the OS?, i can't seem to find them on the site. I will give that a shot and see if anything happens.

Incidentally i should mention that i tried several midi cables so i am confident that's not an issue.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Quick update, i have now tried installing the firmware from file via MIDIOX which is still doing exactly the same thing. Updates, get the messages for stage 1 & 2, but then the LP just refuses to reboot. I have downloaded the sysex file and the executable updater twice each so i am fairly confident corrupt files are not to blame at the moment.

Really stuck now, i just cannot think of anything i am doing wrong here :(

Still looking for the older OS files at the moment, if anyone has a link i would appreciate it very much.

Back to scratching my head...

Moomin

Post by Moomin » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:22 pm

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:30 pm

Thanks a lot Moomin!

I am going to try leaving my LP powered down for a while with the cable pulled out, then i will try to update once again with the old os. Really hope this works! Starting to get a bit worried.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:47 pm

Well, few hours later of trying different possible trouble shooting ideas and i am no closer to finding a solution to this. I am starting to wonder whether there is actually some communication problem between my soundcard and the LP which stops the update from finishing properly.

I have a Focusrite Sapphire which is an external firewire box, are there any known issues between the LP and these boxes? I have tried moving the Sapphire from the host controller on my motherboard (not sure what chipset) to a pci firewire card i have installed (via chipset), but unfortunately that's made no difference.

I'm considering getting a usb midi port or something just to see if that might work, as i am running out of ideas now.

dave500

Post by dave500 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:05 pm

Are you using the M-Audio Uno or Midisport ? I use the Uno but you have to load the drivers for the Uno or it stops 3/4 of the way installing the update after installing the drivers it works great. :?
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:21 pm

ghost, it is probably to do with your midi hardware or drivers... my recommendation is to try a different delivery system. Either a different MIDI interface on your computer (do you have any USB->MIDI peripherals like an Oxygen keyboard or Evolution knobby box?), or a friend's computer and MIDI setup if you have a friend with that stuff. Also, you could try downloading the demo version of the editor/librarian and using the firmware update utility in that, but I'm still betting it's to do with your MIDI interface or perhaps even the MIDI cable itself. If you can swap out for a known-to-be-excellent midi cable, you should try that also.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

-Amos

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:58 am

Thanks for the advice Dave & Amos, i have tried a different delivery method today through an M-Audio Keystation 49e, but this seems to be less succesful than my Saffire.

According to MIDIOX the Keystation is sending the appropriate Sysex commands but the LP shows no sign of activity on its screen, not any 'stage 1/stage 2' messages or anything. Just to be sure i tried downloading the M-Audio drivers for the keyboard rather than using the default ones that Windows uses, but this did'nt make any difference.

I think i am going to order one of those M-Audio Uno's and see if that will work for me seeing as you have had success with it dave, although i'm not sure why the Keystation is not working since it is made by the same company, oh well i guess different circuit designs and whatnot might be to blame. At least the Uno is not too expensive, so all is not lost if it does not work.

Thanks again for the help, i will post back when i get the Uno, hopefully with a working LP!

dave500

Midi-ox

Post by dave500 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:54 pm

Ghost we both use MIDI-OX did you go to Options then Midi devices and set up Midi inputs? For the Midi Inputs: USB Uno MIDI In Port Mapping : USB Uno MIDI Out Next MIDI Outputs: USB Uno MIDI Out Port Map Objects: USB Uno MIDI In ... I'm showing you what is used on mine using the M-Audio Uno Midi adapter. I can click my right mouse button on the LP_T_103c.syx a drop-down menu shows up then I click send and it sends it to the LP.
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:43 am

Well i got my Uno in the mail today but unfortunately it has not fixed the problem. I have tried using MIDIOX the executable loader and the LP Librarian software and still cannot get the LP to reboot after the 'stage 2' message.

Totally at a loss as to what the problem is at the moment. I guess i will have to return the LP :(

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:25 am

Just so i understand what you are saying dave, when you configure those settings all you do is highlight the option correct? As i can't really tell whether any changes are being saved within MIDIOX.

My settings look like this (bold are the highlighted options):

MIDI IN :

1) USB Uno MIDI IN
2) Saffire LE

MIDI OUT :

2) USB Uno MIDI OUT
1) Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
3) Saffire LE
4) MIDI Mapper

(not sure why they are listed out of order like that)

Port Mapping :

USB Uno Midi Out >
-MIDIOX Events
-USB Uno MIDI IN

(both of those options have further drop down boxes with channels and system options, do i need to select anything there?)

Port Map Objects :

Channels
System
MIDIOX Events
USB Uno MIDI IN

When i highlight one of the options in thsi last section, it de-selects whatever i chose in the Port Mappings box, is that normal?

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:30 pm

Hey Ghost -

Try increasing the size of your Output Buffers in MIDIox.

Go to the Options drop down menu and select "Configure Buffers"

Try setting to Size: 2048; Num 128

Also - do you have a bunch of other USB devices hooked up?

You may want to simplify your USB situation, and reboot before you try again...

Also with the Voyager, we had some problems w/ folks who had a feature in their MIDI interfaces called "MIDI Time Stamping" which corrupted the SysEx and caused the upgrade to fail... This would probably not be likely in the Uno though...

Just a couple more random ideas that may help...

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestions.

I just tried changing the buffer settings, first to 1024/128 then 2048/128 and now the LP is reporting an error as follows (the attempted update also seems to go around 4x quicker than before!):

STAGE 1 ERROR
CYCLE POWER

Does this suggest some kind of hardware fault?

On the USB side of things i have 1 Microsoft USB keyboard and 1 Microsoft USB Mouse and nothing else so unfortunately i can't really remove anything else.