Where is the new LP Operating System?

Everything Phatty.
kybernaut_01

Where is the new LP Operating System?

Post by kybernaut_01 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:59 am

Are there any indications of the upcoming OS update? I read here that it is in beta testing now.

What else, beside the NRPN Controllers, has been changed/fixed?

Any ideas? Any release date? :roll:

kybernaut_01

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:05 pm

patience young jedi.. itll be worth the wait 8)
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:34 pm

I see... so the initially planned bug fix release is postponed for a more feature-oriented release?

8)

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Cool, what new bug fixes & features will likely rear their heads in this next release?
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:16 am

It's here! Check the LP Software downloads page; if it's not up now it will be quite shortly. Here are the user notes, so you can see what's new:

Little Phatty Operating System firmware version 1.03, revision C

(Tribute Edition = v1.03Tc; Stage edition = v1.03Sc)

User Notes - 9 July 2007.

OS v1.03c introduces several new features to the Little Phatty. The Master Menu order has changed to incorporate these new features in a streamlined and logical fashion. This document provides a map of the new menu arrangement and a description of the new features.

-- PRESET STORAGE --

The preset save routine has been improved. As always, to save a preset you press the ENTER/STORE button while in Panel Mode. You will see two lines on the Little Phatty display. The top line shows the location where the preset will be saved, and the name of the preset which is currently saved in that location. No more overwriting your favorite presets by mistake! Use the VALUE knob to select a preset to overwrite, then press CURSOR to move the cursor to the lower line of the LCD. OVERWRITE:NO is the default setting. If you change your mind and do not want to save the preset, you can press ENTER and the LP will return to Panel mode without saving. If you are sure you want to save your preset to the selected location, set OVERWRITE:YES and press ENTER. The LP will display the PRESET STORED message to confirm that your preset was saved successfully.

-- MIDI CC --

The Modulation Wheel and Filter Cutoff parameters now send and receive high-resolution 14-bit Midi CC messages. This allows for finer control and more smooth-sounding changes, whether you are using the LP as a MIDI controller, or controlling the LP via MIDI from your sequencer. The MIDI CC channels are mapped as follows; MSB indicates the "regular" CC number for the parameter, and LSB indicates the high-resolution fine control. If you are only sending 7-bit MIDI CC to the LP, use the MSB channel number.
FILTER CUTOFF: MSB=19, LSB=51
MOD WHEEL: MSB= 1, LSB=33

-- MASTER MENU --

New Master Menu map: (* denotes a change from previous version)

PERFORM SET

ADVANCED PRESET
FILTER POLES
EGR RELEASE
GATE [LEGATO]
FILT SENS.
MOD SRC 5
MOD SRC 6
PW [P.BEND AMT]
* KB PRIORITY
POT MAP

ANALOGUE MODE

KEYBD PRIORITY (Global; can now be set per patch also)

PROGRAM CHANGE

*TUNING (Tuning now has its own menu page)

PRECISION MODE

MIDI IN/OUT CHANNEL

*MIDI SETUP (New menu; new features!)
ALL NOTES OFF
LOCAL CONTROL ON/OFF
* MIDI MERGE ON/OFF (See below for details)
* POLY (See below for details)

SYSEX MENU
SEND CUR PRESET
SEND ALL PRESETS
SEND BULK DUMP
SEND FIRMWARE SX

SYSTEM UTILITIES
VERSION NUMBER (displays current OS version)
EGR MATRIX (Tribute) or HP VOL (Stage)
* MENU WRAP ON/OFF (enables/disables wrap-around menus)
MASTER REBOOT
RESTORE FACTORY
CALIBRATION

Perform Set: No change. Note that you must allow 15-30 seconds after making changes to the Perform Set or other global settings, in order for the changes to be written to Flash memory. If you turn off power to the LP before this time has elapsed, your changes may not be saved.

ADVANCED PRESET: Has a new KEYB PRIORITY setting - default is GLOB (global), which inherits the Global Keyboard Priority set on the KEYBD PRIORITY menu. You can now choose to set a different keyboard priority which is saved per patch, using this setting in the ADVANCED PRESET menu.

Analogue Mode: no change

KEYBD PRIORITY: See above; this is now the Global Keyboard Priority but you can choose to save individual patches that have a different Keyboard Priority than the Global setting.

MIDI IN/OUT channels: no change

Program Change menu: no change

TUNING: now has its own menu. LOCAL CONTROL On/Off is now on the MIDI SETUP menu.

Precision Mode: no change

MIDI SETUP: MIDI functions have been consolidated to one menu, and some tasty new features have been added.

MIDI SETUP contains the following items:

ALL NOTES OFF
LOCAL CONTROL
MIDI MERGE
POLY

The new features are Midi Merge and Poly. If Midi Merge is ON, the LP will echo all MIDI received at its MIDI IN port to the MIDI OUT port, merged with any Midi data which is generated by the LP. This allows you to pass Midi data THRU the LP, which was not formerly possible. Make sure that you do not create a MIDI feedback loop (output is passed back to input and then Merged with output again), or you may experience unwanted side effects like a locked-up LP. Cycling the power on a locked-up LP should resolve this condition, but it is best not to create MIDI feedback in the first place.

POLY menu -- Use this menu to set up multiple Moog synths as a polyphonic synth stack. The settings are OFF (default) or POLY: (#) of (##). The first number represents which note this particular LP is assigned to play, the second number sets the total number of available voices. If you had an LP and a Voyager RME, you would set the LP to POLY: 1 of 2 and on the Voyager RME you would go to "MIDI Key Order" on the Master menu and set the RME to be note 2 of 2. NOTE: Your Voyager must also have the latest firmware installed; the current Voyager OS is version 3.3. Connect MIDI OUT from the LP to MIDI IN on the Voyager. You should now be able to play duophonically, with the LP sounding the first note played on the keyboard and the Voyager RME sounding the second note. If all available voices are in use, additional notes will not sound until enough keys are released to free a voice. MIDI control numbers are consistent between the Voyager and Little Phatty, so any parameter changes such as pitch bend and mod wheel, filter cutoff and so on, should affect all voices simultaneously.

If you have two Little Phatty synths, you would connect MIDI OUT from the first one to MIDI IN on the second, then you would turn on MIDI MERGE on the second LP and connect its MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN on the first LP. Turn off LOCAL CONTROL on the first LP so that it is controlled only by the MIDI data that is shared between the two synths.

If you have more than two Moog synths, connect them so that MIDI passes through each synth and the last is connected to the first; but make sure that the first synth does NOT pass MIDI through to the next, or you will create unwanted MIDI feedback. The "first synth" in this description should always be the one on which you are playing the keys. If the first synth is an LP, make sure MIDI MERGE is turned OFF on this synth. If the first synth is a Voyager, make sure that you are connecting MIDI OUT from it to the MIDI IN on the second synth; do not use the MIDI THRU jack on the first synth, only on subsequent synths (voice 2 or higher).

UPDATE: It may not be necessary to connect the MIDI OUT/THRU of the last synth in your chain back to the first; there have been some recent changes to the POLY code since the above instructions were written. It seems to perform quite well now with Local ON on your LP which is configured as Voice 1, and a simple Midi OUT to Midi IN connection for each subsequent synth. This allows you to drive the polyphonic chain of synths from a sequencer connected to the Voice 1 MIDI IN port. POLY is still an evolving concept, so experiment with it and have fun!

If you have any questions about your LP or about the new operating system, please contact [email protected] for assistance.

(C) Moog Music Inc, 2007.

Enjoy,

Amos

Moomin

Post by Moomin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:42 pm

Great update! :) The tuning menu is very useful and so is the improved preset storage! Thanks Moog!

kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Yeah, thanks indeed! :wink:

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:39 pm

noooooooo
i just sold my desktop computer with my midi interface......

and now i'm stuck with this Laptop and no midi connections....
dear god why do you hate me so...... (actually i don't really believe in god or fate....but i felt the need to curse them)

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:14 pm

gEEk: I recommend a midisport 1x1. they're mighty handy.

Extraborg

Post by Extraborg » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:17 am

Thanks for the update. I particularly like the new save function. Can anyone tell me if a future update will ever be able to cure the digital noise still there in some of the high notes? Or is this a hardware problem? It seems ironic that a fantastic analog keyboard with such a beautiful tone should have a background noise that sounds like digital aliasing. Is this to be fixed ever? It is the only fly in the ointment for me.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks Amos! I ordered one!