pwm question

Everything Phatty.
sine

pwm question

Post by sine » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:38 am

Maybe if I heard it I'd understand, but since I'm not an owner I'm trying to understand by reading...

manual p. 12:
"By limiting the modulation between the square and thin rectangle (pulse) waves, you can get pusle width modulation..."

My question: How do you limit the modulation exclusively between square and rectangle?

Thanks

kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:52 am

This just mean that you place the wave knob somewhere between the full and thin square and then keep the mod amount as low that it doesn't reach into the sawtooth or triangle range.

Other synthesizers have an explicit pulse width modulation without the possibility to fade the pulse wave into a saw / triangle wave.

Try it out...

kybernaut

sine

Post by sine » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:40 am

Thanks, kybernaut. So, if I understand correctly, Wave modulation starts from the waveform indicated by the Oscillator analog edit knob.

May I ask you this: With Osc 1 set up for PWM as you described, if you have Osc 2 waveform set to Triangle, does that mean that, in this example, Osc 2 would morph between Tri and Saw, while Osc 1 would morph between Square and Narrow Rectangle?

Thanks again.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:07 am

Yes it's pretty much like that. This means that you can do interesting tricks like take a 2-oscillator patch and put one oscillator at a thin pulse wave to begin with and the other oscillator more towards a triangle or saw waveform... then when you modulate the waveforms, there will come a point where one oscillator (the one that was already a skinny pulse) will drop out completely and you will hear a one-oscillator sound. On the Stage Edition patches, the patch called "Double Agent" is like this: when the mod wheel is all the way down it is a two-oscillator saw-like sound, and when the modwheel is all the way up it is a one-oscillator resonant square wave. Fun stuff!

dlearyus

self oscillation

Post by dlearyus » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:23 pm

is it possible with a LPTE ? would someone be so kind as to post the
settings please? I have looked through the manual but most of it is beyond my current understanding of these analog devices.

Signed

Dummy Who Loves His Moog ;)

robles

Post by robles » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:07 pm

An easy way to think of modulation is that it moves the knob for you. It does not physically move the knob of course, but it sends out voltage signals as if the knob were moving. Therefore, sending the mod to the wave destination is like moving the wave knob manually. Unfortunatley, the LP sends mod to both waves, so you can't just PWM one Osc and let the othe stay steady. Many have grumbled about that (me for one). But as for settings, to get a clear idea of PWM, I'd start by turning the Osc 2 level all the way down and Osc 1 all the way up. Then set the Wave for Osc 1 right in between the square and rectangle. Set your mod amount to about 1/4 turn of the knob. Set your mod source as the triangle wave and your destination as Wave. Set the mod frequency very low to start, and move up your Mod Wheel. Change the frequency to go a bit faster and you'll really get an idea of the sounds that are possible.