White Stripes.....Red Phatty

Everything Phatty.
doctorno

Post by doctorno » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:59 pm

Sweep wrote:My conclusions are that -

you need a basic level of ability;

ability for its own sake isn't too important (and we agree on that);

if you're fresh and different you can perhaps get away with less ability, at least initially;

to be really relevant you need to have a new voice, and right now we seem to have a generation who are copying (or at best re-inventing) things that have already been done. Every time I'm told about someone who supposedly has something new, they don't.
Sweep, I agree completely with all your conclusions except for the last one. I think there are a lot of very talented young musicians around who have a new voice and also a very high level of ability. I think of bands like Coldplay or the Arctic Monkeys for example - of course you could argue that what they are doing is not really new, but you could always say that about any music that was performed at any time in history. Nothing has ever been totally new and fresh. Musicians always copied the things that were done in the past, added a new touch, a new feeling and people thought it was brandnew. What do you think has an older generation of rhythm and blues musicians said about the Beatles and Stones in the 60s? And if you listen carefully to the punk records you seem to like, you will find out that they are not that different from early Who and Kings stuff.

No, no, the young musicians nowadays are not better or worth than young musicians have always been.

Tangsonghe

Post by Tangsonghe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:50 pm

Evolution:

At 10 years old everything sounds new

At 20 years old people like to think they've heard alot but alot of stuff still
sounds new

At 30 years old the patterns become familiar. Emotional attachment and
habits form the bulk of one's music tastes. Too cynical for the 20 year old's
declarations of what is happening in music (though you can't be 30 years old without having been 20 years old first), the search for new musical
revelations is difficult, yet takes strange and unexpected turns.........

At 40 years old, er, well I won't pretend that I know yet.

Anyway, what's so essential about novelty? I discovered the other week that
'The grand old duke of york' is a cracking tune! (perhaps not on a moog
though)

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:28 am

hey sweep, my only point with the whole record sales thing is that obviously a lot of people love what they're doing, and this is evidenced by their enormous record sales. I'm not even that big of a fan of the White Stripes but I'm just trying to make a point here: it's very very easy to make music that isn't popular. Hell, I'm sure most of us do it every day. I've released two albums but who the hell has ever heard of me??? The thing is, it's NOT easy to make some popular music that resonates with a large audience and that is something that the White Stripes have done, this is indisputable fact. Sure Ms. Spears has sold a billion albums but she doesn't write any of her songs and has little to no integrity. Jack White writes and performs his own songs and has always done exactly what he has wanted to do and been successful at it so don't patronize me by comparing a real rock and roll band that happens to be popular with some saccharine pop queen: the two are not comparable. As far as music just being rehashed in todays world, give it a rest bud...you obviously don't listen to enough new music! There's so much amazing and innovative music out there right now that isn't just a carbon copy of what came before (although I will agree with you that there is a lot of that out there). I can name a few bands off the top of my head: Battles, Of Montreal, Von Sudenfed, Queens of the Stone Age, Dr. Dog, My Morning Jacket, The Mars Volta, Spank Rock, M.I.A. I could go on for a while longer but I'll stop there. And, for the record, I do not think Jack White was posing playing the moog; it was an integral part of the song and I thought quite well implemented...do your homework, check out those bands and get back to me (LOL).

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:54 am

Bob Dylan certainly was no virtuoso on the harmonica, but he used it effectively for the song and for a certain feel. Jack White is no different in how he utilizes the LP.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:03 pm

Just saw this discussion, and I couldn't agree more with you, and I'm 29 years old.
I didn't grow up the 70s, and still too me it is painfully obvious that rock music has devolved over the last years. Rock music just doesn't have that sense of authenticity and freshness like it used to have, and lacks in songwriting and playing/singing talent. Too much commercial crap going on. The White Strips sounds fresh to some people because of the rough sound and playing, and some of their songs do catch a certain level of that rebellius rockmusic-atmosphere. Listen to "The Real Me", "Baba O'Raily", "Won't get fooled again", "Join the band", "5:15" etc.. with The Who. That's freshness and authenticity without crappy playing and singing. The Who was just an example. Another example could be Queen - A Night at the Opera, or Black Sabbath - Sabotage.etc..etc..
There are obviously a few truly talented commercially successful bands out there today (U2, Coldplay etc..) and I hear some good songs here and there (like Superfamily's new single, - Norwegian band) but still, the late 60s and 70s just had an overall peak in quality rock music which I doubt will ever be reproduced again.

Typically today you'll have your hip MTV, 70s inspired rockband/pop artist emulating previous great acts like Black Sabbath, Joni Mitchell, Queen, Led Zeppelin..whatever, but without the interesting chord changes, unusual instrumentation and experimantel song structures (and great playing/singing) that made these bands/artists so fascinating. All you end up with is some dull, by-the-numbers song full of clichés. Hell, you can't even play a decent gitar solo today , or have anything resembling an intelligent instrumental section however short, without beeing daft and uncommercial.

In terms of progrock, Flower Kings has made some brilliant stuff - and they're quite present.
thewaag wrote:
I guess that we are looking at a generation gap here. I come from a time when you expected a recording artist to be able to play his instrument. Jack White’s random pawing of the Little Phatty is not what I would call playing.

You can call it art if you want. I guess that knowing when to drub the keys of the Little Phatty to get the necessary “sound” for your composition could be considered art. So can Yoko Ono’s screeching. It is just not my definition of the word, and I realize that this is strictly open to individual interpretation. I won’t call your opinion pointless because you think that Jack White’s keyboard doodlings are genius artistical interpretation.

My rock idols are guys who were virtuosos of their instruments, as well as being great songwriters. There were plenty of guys who wrote and performed rock classics who were not instrumental masters but could at least play the instruments that they performed with. People can say that Keith Emerson hid behind a “pretentious modular tower” and that he would “stab his keyboard with knives” but this was all for show. The guy played the absolute bejesus out of his instruments. Having not watched Jack play the keyboard before, I don’t know much about his keyboard prowess, but if the video clip is any indication, he has none. If people want to idolize him for that, go ahead. I won’t, but I won’t criticize you for doing so.

My comment was just a statement that here was a guy making big money as a musician and he shows no proficiency on one of the instruments that he plays. And yes, it does bug me that people consider this to be genius. It is incomprehensible to me, but again, I am older than most people on this forum. Musical tastes and expectations have changed. There are people on this board who regularly post music clips that show more keyboard ability than does Jack (at least in this clip). I appreciate their work a lot more.
Last edited by KarnEvil on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:30 pm

KarnEvil wrote:Listen to The Who's "Behind blue eyes", and then Limp Bizkits version... that sums the overall devellopment of rock music lately pretty well in my ears.
You are right concerning this song, but only concerning this song. Most of what young rock bands nowadays record can easily compete with The Who. The whole young British scene seems to be very talented to me and the Arctic Monkeys, the Kaiser Chiefs, the Long Blondes, Muse a.s.o. are all able to play their instruments as good or better as the likes of The Who.

Another example concerning cover-versions: have you heard the Cardigans playing Black Sabbath songs? When the Cardigans play their songs they suddenly sound very sexy. I guess you could not say that of the original versions.

There are always people who are living in the past, young and old ... It is a good thing to remember all these great bands from the past, but they are not better or worth than the musicians of today.

And the worst record I have heard in years is the new one by ... guess who ... The Who.

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:54 am

You do have a point. I was trying to say something about the general trend of rock music today, but there are definately talented bands out there, but I still feel those old bands had better songs and musicianship than the stuff today, and I'm familiar with the bands that you mention. In the end, music taste is subjective - and this is my view... :)
doctorno wrote: You are right concerning this song, but only concerning this song. Most of what young rock bands nowadays record can easily compete with The Who. The whole young British scene seems to be very talented to me and the Arctic Monkeys, the Kaiser Chiefs, the Long Blondes, Muse a.s.o. are all able to play their instruments as good or better as the likes of The Who.

Another example concerning cover-versions: have you heard the Cardigans playing Black Sabbath songs? When the Cardigans play their songs they suddenly sound very sexy. I guess you could not say that of the original versions.

There are always people who are living in the past, young and old ... It is a good thing to remember all these great bands from the past, but they are not better or worth than the musicians of today.

And the worst record I have heard in years is the new one by ... guess who ... The Who.

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:35 pm

There are simply too many Jack White/Bob Dylan comparisons in this thread.

You guys are bringing down the collective intelligence of the BBS with such nonsense.

I'd like the last 5 minutes of my life back.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:57 am

I think currently there are some great bands around but a lot of them are just pastiches of 70s\80s music. I dont think that the standard has dropped as such but so many more people are making music due to easily available technology, and as a direct proportional result there is so much more rubbish around.

In order to break through now,to the level of big bands mentioned in this thread, you need to be way ahead of everything else around or know some people in a&r at a major, or have loads of spare cash to give to a p.r. company.

Also there needs to be some sort of gimmick in your music whether it be weirdness of some sort, strange instruments, crap singing etc.. :O)

For those people disheartened with what they hear the only way is to get back in the studio and keep pushing the boundaries. I deliberately try not to listen to major label releases any more. Thats not where the exciting music is being made.

As far as current bands go i think at least the white stripes have some raw energy to them which i like. In the context of a band like them i couldnt care less whether the keyboard playing is virtuoso or not. It just has to fit the music.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

martin

Post by martin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:27 pm

hehe...

although not an lp owner, i enjoyed this thread and the video. what is up with that drummer! holy smoke!

i remember that back in 1992 i painted a shmucky old guitar red and went nuts.

http://www.moognase.com/1_hengste_im_kopp_oktober_1992

as far as i'm concerned, we're even steven...

:wink:

elanmak

Post by elanmak » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:32 pm

Jack White is a minimalist.

He often admits how he likes to work in a small box, limiting himself and using that as a huge creative outlet.

I've never been a fan of virtuosos, ever. To me, they just seem very over confident and just wailing on their guitar/synth/drums/bass etc. for hours on end. There's a very fine line between being good and being annoying.

The White Stripes have sold millions of records, they make catchy pop and hard punk-like music.

At their show I saw in Montreal, it went from total Sardine Smackdown with everyone in the venue mashing into each other and just going crazy to swaying, sing alongs.

It's Detroit Garage Rock n' Roll.

It's very annoying when somebody gets pissed about somebody else's musical talent. Jack White is a really modest and humble guy. He just went nuts on that Little Phatty, and you know what? he can.

elanmak

Post by elanmak » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:45 pm

Oh yeah, right at the beginning of the interview with Jools later, Jools says

"What a beautiful setup!"

and Jack replies:

"Why thank you, I painted it myself."

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UarIeAzVv00[/url]

The interview's great