Replacing the keys on a Little Phatty

Everything Phatty.
jon_kull

Replacing the keys on a Little Phatty

Post by jon_kull » Fri May 18, 2007 2:44 pm

I've been considering replacing the keybed on my Tribute Edition and wanted to know if anyone has done this before and how difficult it is to do. I'd also like to know if anyone knows where to get a keybed from. I've only been able to find full midi controllers but no keybeds.

Thanks.

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Fri May 18, 2007 5:18 pm

Is there something wrong with your keybed or you just want a different feeling keybed? Just curious. Does the TE and SE have the same keybed?

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Fri May 18, 2007 5:52 pm

There's nothing wrong with with teh keybed...I'd just like something with some more weight to it. I have a CME UF6 and love the feel of the keys. I'd like something similar for my LP.

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Fri May 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Cool, I'm interested in what you find out and ultimately do.

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Fri May 18, 2007 6:47 pm

i have a LPTE, i dont know alot about the physical dynamics of keyboards but would it be possible to somehow "stiffen up" the key actuator assemblies and add weights to the keys? I always see reference to "weighted keys". Might be easier and cheaper than replacing the entire keybed as you would probably have to retune the entire LP to the new keyboard. Then again maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about LOL

Pass the Bong :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue May 22, 2007 3:08 pm

If you peek under the keys you will see that they are already weighted... there is more to the key assembly than the physical keys themselves; they are scanned by a keyscan circuit that is configured for the original keybed. It would be much less of a headache to figure out a way to add more weight to the existing keys. On a similar note, you could probably swap out the springs for stiffer keyboard springs as well. I think that the slots for the springs are a standard size, so if you could get ahold of 37 key springs from a board with stiffer action (or order stiffer springs from the supplier of your choice), then you could swap these out for a stiffer response. Stiffer springs will provide more resistance to your fingers pushing down, and heavier key weights will make the keys travel a little more slowly and bounce less when released.

Cheers,

Amos

PS) of course monkeying about with the keyboard like this is not so good for your warranty... I support your desire to customize your synth but I have to give this disclaimer anyway. :)

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Tue May 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Amos wrote:PS) of course monkeying about with the keyboard like this is not so good for your warranty... I support your desire to customize your synth but I have to give this disclaimer anyway. :)
Amos -

At this point I think I'm going to keep it all 'original'. I don't have the time or money to monkey around with it anyway...it was more wishful thinking. On a similar keyboard note what's the timeframe on repairs? When I first got my LP I had emailed you about some crooked/uneven keys but didn't want to send it in at the time because I was having too much fun. If I wanted to send it in now about how long would it take to get it back?

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed May 23, 2007 10:06 am

When I first got my LP I had emailed you about some crooked/uneven keys
LOL.....suuuuure.... they came "crooked" out of the box "a long time ago" ......moog will surely trust that after a post like this, you certainly didn't take apart the key assembly to poke around.... :wink:

hehe, just messing with ya, i'm sure it did come like that :D

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Wed May 23, 2007 1:33 pm

Amos wrote:It would be much less of a headache to figure out a way to add more weight to the existing keys.
What about actually using a denser material for the actual keys themselves to add the weight during production? The stock keys are fairly cheap & thin. I really dig quality & the faces of the existing keys seem torqued or twisted slightly such that the tops of them across the keyboard is not entirely flat. Personally, I'd pay a few more sawbucks for a higher quality layout as my only real beef with the LP is the cheap keys.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Wed May 23, 2007 3:46 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:
When I first got my LP I had emailed you about some crooked/uneven keys
LOL.....suuuuure.... they came "crooked" out of the box "a long time ago" ......moog will surely trust that after a post like this, you certainly didn't take apart the key assembly to poke around.... :wink:

hehe, just messing with ya, i'm sure it did come like that :D
Yeah it did...but it is kind of a funny place to post my question now that I think about it. :)

I emailed Amos right after I opened the box but couldn't part with my new toy at the time. After staring at them for a few months the unevenness of the keys is starting to bug me (it's the OCD in me) though I still can't see myself parting with my new toy. They work fine they're just not straight.

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Wed May 23, 2007 3:49 pm

DeFrag wrote:I really dig quality & the faces of the existing keys seem torqued or twisted slightly such that the tops of them across the keyboard is not entirely flat
Exactly. Some of my keys also have more space between them than others. I have a back issue of Keyboard where they reviewed the LP Tribute and their review unit had the same issues. Keys aside I love my LP...it gets the most use out of all my gear. I barely touch my Voyager anymore.

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Wed May 23, 2007 6:43 pm

Hmm, I do not know what you guys are used to, but I think the LP has a very good, high quality keyboard compared to most other synths.

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Wed May 23, 2007 7:31 pm

doctorno wrote:Hmm, I do not know what you guys are used to, but I think the LP has a very good, high quality keyboard compared to most other synths.
It's just a matter of personal preference. I prefer a heavier action. I find the LP to be very light and springy. I like the Fatar weighted keyboard used in the Virus KB. I like the feel of my CME UF6.

carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:42 pm

jon_kull wrote:After staring at them for a few months the unevenness of the keys is starting to bug me (it's the OCD in me) though I still can't see myself parting with my new toy. They work fine they're just not straight.
You're not the only one. The keys on my LP have always been crooked as well - its most noticeable directly from the front. None of my other synths have ever had this problem. This seems particular to this keybed they chose for the LP.

I don't even bother mentioning it any more as I always get shouted down as a "Moog basher" or a "hater" - nothing could be farther from the truth. I love my LP with a passion and have recommended it to others as well as creating a dedicated website for it at http://www.carbon111.com/moog_lp.html

I just wish the keys were straight instead of "snaggletoothed" :(
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:23 pm

Maybe adding strips of Dynamat will be an easy way to weight the keys?