Tribute or Stage for the same money,

Everything Phatty.
industrial_gypsy

Tribute or Stage for the same money,

Post by industrial_gypsy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:36 pm

I know these threads are a bit dull, but I'm after one bit of quick advice please.

I've been offered a used (but mint) Tribute with all the original accessories for the same money as a new Stage. I'm going for the Tribute for nothing other than personal preference but I remember reading on here about the stage offering some feature/s that the Tribute never could? Is this correct even with OS upgrades?

pulsar

Re: Tribute or Stage for the same money,

Post by pulsar » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:36 pm

industrial_gypsy wrote:I know these threads are a bit dull, but I'm after one bit of quick advice please.

I've been offered a used (but mint) Tribute with all the original accessories for the same money as a new Stage. I'm going for the Tribute for nothing other than personal preference but I remember reading on here about the stage offering some feature/s that the Tribute never could? Is this correct even with OS upgrades?
Yes, you're correct. The Stage offers a 2nd mod destination, and the Tribute does not. That's the only major difference at this point. As for more minor differences, the Stage has fewer RAC features (I think the EGs are not RAC), and does not have the slight digital noise hash that you sometimes get with the Tribute when the osc volume is low or the filter cutoff is low. The Tribute has a software feature that disables direct panel control over the envelopes, and this gets rid of the noise, at the cost of direct, real-time envelope control (unless you pot-map the features you want, or control them with midi).

As you said, there are other threads here where people post strong opinions on these issues, so I suggest you read into them. Personally, I like the style of the Tribute much better (I own one), but given the choice today I'd probably go with a Stage.

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks for that Pulsar, I've actually just found the heated debate I remembered reading (It's only a few threads down from here!), just seemed to skip over it before.

Got all the info. I need now, cheers

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:25 pm

industrial,

I'm curious if the Tribute you are looking at is UK or not.

You'll know if the front panel is black and white like the Stage's.

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:28 pm

Here it is. Apart from the logo fiasco, what other cosmetic differences are there between the domestic and export models please?

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:46 pm

i have a US version, Moog badged and it has the panel writing screened directly onto the metal. It has the phatty part of the logo in gold/brown colour and the main headers for each section.

the UK ones , badged Bob Moog have what looks like a sticker for the whole front panel stuck onto the main front panel. I wonder if it was peeled off whether the standard front panel is underneath?

The phatty part of the logo on these is black as it the main headers for each section. This is what the one in the pic looks like.

The US ones look more classy to me as the writing is screened direct to the panel.Also the grey boxes around some controls look almost photocopied on the uk ones. On my one its a much more solid grey colour.

Those are the only differences afaik.
Last edited by goldphinga on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:50 pm

My LP has Bob's signature under the headphone jack, whereas this one does not. What gives?
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:51 pm

Thanks for the info.
the UK ones , badged Bob Moog have what looks like a sticker for the whole front panel stuck onto the main front panel
Why on earth did they do that?

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:26 pm

i purchased LP #585 through the canadian distributor for MOOG products.

i guess it could be considered and "export" the front panel signature is located under the headphone jack also and the rear panel signature seems to be some sort of "stick on" decal. Dunno if US models are same or not.

Jazzpunk

Re: Tribute or Stage for the same money,

Post by Jazzpunk » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:27 pm

pulsar wrote:Personally, I like the style of the Tribute much better (I own one), but given the choice today I'd probably go with a Stage.
I second that. Good luck with your decision, you'll have a great synth either way.
MF-102, MF-103, MF-107

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:14 am

the reason Moog did the sticker thing is they were still trying to get the rights to use the Moog logo back in the Uk and it must have been cheaper and easier to make sticker overlays than to make screened front panels with Bob Moog instead of Moog.

its normal that the Bob Moog is a sticker on the back panel of the tributes, i was thinking of asking Moog if they could send me the back panel logo for the stage that i could use on my tribute.

also one advantage of the sticker is you cant scratch the paint off (the white line that runs round the panel)like ive already done next to my headphone socket.

oooppsss
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.