Slim Phatty MIDI issues

Everything Phatty.
gdgross

Slim Phatty MIDI issues

Post by gdgross » Tue May 24, 2022 1:04 am

Hi all - I have an SP that seems to have issues receiving midi messages.

After a few minutes, it just stops outputting sound, after having worked just fine a minute previous. (In this state, I can't overwrite a preset by playing a sysex file either.)

Cycling power seems to reset its brain, and all is usually well for a few more minutes, then the sound disappears again.

Any ideas? I'm handy enough with a schematic and soldering iron, and not scared at all to open her up and poke around, if there's a service manual or something else floating around the internet....

Thanks!
Geoff

stiiiiiiive

Re: Slim Phatty MIDI issues

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue May 24, 2022 7:04 am

Hi Geoff.

If it goes silent few minutes after a reboot, I think it is not hardware related.
Here is what I would try:
- If it is connected through USB, I would try connecting it with only one DIN cable rather.
- if your MIDI source does so, I would definitely try configuring it not to send MIDI clock messages. I once observed weird behaviours of a Little Phatty related to MIDI clock messages overflooding.

Keep us tuned!

gdgross

Post by gdgross » Tue May 24, 2022 10:20 am

Ok, thanks! Forgot to mention that it also is able play that single note via that 'enter = play note' option in the menu, so it's not the analog bits that are going out to lunch.

I'm using via USB rather than DIN, but can switch it up. (running from my mac in protools and live, not actually performing with it, more like reamping my soft synths. :-)

I'll also check and see if I can determine if my DAWs are sending midi clock or not - I may have to do some research for that one, haha.

Thanks!

gdgross

Post by gdgross » Tue May 24, 2022 11:16 pm

well looks like midi clock is not enabled anyway...see the attached pic

Any other ideas?

(I do have a support ticket open with moog, but I'm not sure if they still field support for the SP...)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.14.02 PM.png

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed May 25, 2022 12:38 pm

No particular other idea, mate... I'm not sure MoogMusic will make your ticket a priority, but it's always a good idea to have one.

What I would do now is to use MIDI monitoring application and to check if there is a particular kind of message that causes the instrument to freeze.
"MIDI Monitor" is a free, macOS compatible app for that, but some others may be more apropriate.

gdgross

Post by gdgross » Wed May 25, 2022 1:27 pm

Thanks, I've used it in the past to debug my pedalboard messages... will have to fire up again and see what's happening I suppose.

Funny that my Juno 106, whose midi implementation is decades older, doesn't seem to have any of these issues lol.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 am

Newer is not always better :)

Keep us aware of your breakthroughs!