LP, dilema of doom

Everything Phatty.
godzilla

LP, dilema of doom

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm

ok, i've now had my LP for a week or two (that's why i haven't been on here for so long) and i can safely say that it is the coolest thing in Australia! of course i can't speek for the whole planet but down here neither object nor life form can hold its own against even the shadow that my new LP casts on the desert floor (i don't actually live in a desert, i just wanted to highlight how happy i am with this wonderful thing)

but....

the 2nd C key on mine makes a harsh spring noise (not on the audio out) if you hit any harder than... well a feather touch really. it's not a huge problem sound wise but it really takes away from the pleasant luxurious experience of playing this synth, i'll be rocking away and then i'll hit that note and....you get the picture

thing is i don't want to have to ship it back to the US (as you can imagine) so i thought i'd see what you guys had to say b4 contacting moog or my dealer.

Also i do experience the previously mentioned pitched buzz but at very low levels, and the value knob does feel a bit like it's gonna fall off (also mentioned earlier by another user). these issues i can live with (well... not really but anyway) but the springy clunk that i get from that note is just not cool.

Even so i am very happy with this amazing piece of hardware, it is exactly the thing that i needed! congrats to everyone who worked on it, definitely the best synth i've ever played! and worth every penny!

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:43 pm

actually it's not that bad, but it is bad

rachel

Post by rachel » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:58 am

Well, I've had mine almost as long - I love it.

The Future Retro look is great! And the sound. It really is a lot more precise
than the Model D. The guy I see for my analogue repairs saw one in the
US and he thought it sounded like an OSCar. I have an OSCar and I
don't think they sound much alike.

In any case, all the knobs seem fine on mine, the Value knob has a good feel
but it does have a little slackness in it, that allows it to wobble a bit, but
I don't think it's extreme. Instead I think you might just have a loose
retaining nut in there or something.

The keyboard on mine feels like my DX, but it is slightly tighter, I think unless
the key is totally out of alignment, it will loosen up a little and settle down
with some playing. I am sending my Model D to be rebushed shortly,
but the Phatty definitely isn't harder to play than that.

I am still getting used to mine as a controller. I think it occasionally
locks up with too much MIDI data at certain times, which I hope gets
seen to, plus I do wish it knew how to receive MIDI Volume so I can
set it in Logic.

All in all, I love it and I won't be parting with mine. Looking forward
to the companion Step Sequencer with arpeggiator and memory in the
same slope front format :wink:

BTW, godzilla - what Serial Number did you get?!

rachel

babamoog

Post by babamoog » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:44 am

Hello Rachel,

If you are able to get the LP to lock up with midi data, you should inform Moog with the particlulars so they can duplicate the problem. That's the best, quickest way to get the problem fixed.

--baba

PS: There is no way to control volume thru midi. Seems kind of odd. Talk to Moog, maybe it will get into the Stage edition.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 pm

yeah, i'll hold onto it. i think i was just going a bit crazy over every little detail. i prefer the LP keyboard to the DX7 (which is awesome cause the dx7 was my fav b4) it has such a nice feel, indeed it is similar. i love the pitch mod wheels! never really used them before on my synths (actually the dx7 is the only synth i have with that kind) but now i can't keep my hands off them! the rubber coating is so good, and they are the perfect size ( i love all that space around them too!)

i've noticed that every now and then the sound jumps values and then comes back when you hit one of the parameter buttons, but it's not a big problem (probably an OS issue)

anyway, yeah it really is the best!