Problems with Sub Phatty

Everything Phatty.
JBroe

Problems with Sub Phatty

Post by JBroe » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:55 pm

Hi folks!

I recently picked up a used sub phatty and at first it worked fine but now some issues have appeared.

1. When it receives midi from my laptop it sounds like it receives double the notes that it should. The received notes is playing but with some pops/clicks in between.

2. When playing the keyboard there is some occasional pops/clicks

3. When releasing the keys, a note is occasionally triggered.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

stiiiiiiive

Re: Problems with Sub Phatty

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:48 am

Hi JBroe, welcome to the forum.

It looks like a MIDI loop. Do points 2 and 3 occur even when no MIDI connection is done?
If not, you may want to configure your DAW not to echo incoming MIDI messages.

JBroe

Post by JBroe » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:44 am

Hi. Thank you

Points 2 and 3 occurs only when the synth doesn't receive a midi input.

What is a midi loop and how do i fix it?

What do you mean by: "you may want to configure your DAW not to echo incoming MIDI messages"?

Thank again.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:24 pm

A MIDI loop occurs when you send a MIDI message (e.g. "note on") to an instrument's MIDI input and it "echoes" this MIDI message on its own MIDI output. If -at the other side of the cables- the DAW (or instrument) does the same, well, they will exchange several MIDI "note on" messages for a single key press.
This is more likely to occur with USB MIDI connections as they transport MIDI messages in both diections; whereas MIDI DIN connections can be easily limited to one direction, by using only one cable.

A way to avoid that is to prevent the instruments/DAW to "echo" the input MIDI messages on the MIDI output; that answers to the second question :)
On the SubPhatty, I think you can decide whether this happens or not. You may even be able to decide if the MIDI in port is DIN and/or USB, as well as for the MIDI out port.

All that being said, if points 2 and 3 happen with no MIDI connections, it means it's not due to any MIDI loop.

For point 2, are the the "pops and clicks" mechanical or are they in the audio signal? In the later case, you may want to try to smooth just a little the envelopes attacks and release phases -sorry if I state the obvious here, I don't know what you know about all this; no offense meant.

For point 3, the only case I encountered of such a phenomenon was due to a keybed with a kind of powerfull physical key rebound: when released too "brutally", a key would rebound down from its high position and trigger a second, very short note.

Hope this helps, anyone please express yourself :)

JBroe

Post by JBroe » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:59 am

I don't understand much of what is written about midi loops

And the pops and click are not mechanical, they are only ind the audio signal.