TR8 into SP

Everything Phatty.
bwah

TR8 into SP

Post by bwah » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:12 am

Hi - I am looking for advice for how to run audio from my TR8 into my SP

I have connected my TR8 external out to internal in to my slim phatty. So far there is no sound, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I may have to do to get the audio signal to come thru the SP.

Thanks

till

Re: TR8 into SP

Post by till » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:28 am

I think you have to keep a note playing all the time you like to hear the input. Besure to mute the VCOs. And VCA EG Sustain to max for the first tests. Once you trigger the Slim Phatty together with the TR8 you may change this.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

bwah

Post by bwah » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:48 am

Thanks for your reply Till

I took down the levels down where you suggested. I have a sequence running on my TR8 so there is definitely a consistent signal being emitted. Just for clarity, in case I have missed something obvious, I have audio (external) out from TR8 into audio in on slim phatty, and I guess I am expecting for the audio to be produced from the SP channel on my mixer.

Does that sound like the right process? If so, then it could be possibly a setting in system utilities?

I was hoping it would be as easy as as plug and play (have I given myself away as a guitar player yet :| )

I have this horrible feeling I am missing something embarrassingly simple - thus far I have not seen anything in the SP manual to shed light on this - just that the audio in will allow external signals to be processed :?

I think running beats thru the SP will be pretty sick :)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:22 am

You will be able to do that.

Actually, the signal present at AUDIO IN is mixed with the oscillators before the filter. So you basically have to consider this signal as a source of the synth, and operate the synth just as with its oscillators only.

I means:
- As Till said, set the amplifier envelope with lowest attack setting, highest sustain setting, and -important- decay setting at shortest setting (refer the the manual for details about that...)
- At first, set the filter so that no envelope nor keyboard modulation occur, cut-off to max and rersonance to min.
- Pull the modulation wheel towards you.

Now two things are remaining:
- You have to open the envelope continuously: use a gate signal or sustain pedal at GATE IN input, or use something like that (this is me ;) )
- As there is no way to set the gain of that AUDIO input, set the volume of whatever you send in upstream.

Last point: if you feel after a while that the volume is decaying, you may want to retrigger the envelope before pressing record, e.g.. Again, refer to the manual about that DECAY setting.

till

Post by till » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:26 pm

till wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:28 am I think you have to keep a note playing all the time you like to hear the input. ...
I thought it was obvious what to play:
You have to play and hold a note to the Slim Phatty in your setup, in order to trigger the envelopes and to open the VCA via the VCA EG. When you don't play the Slim Phatty, it won't process a sound coming in from the external signal input.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

bwah

Post by bwah » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:32 am

till wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:26 pm You have to play and hold a note to the Slim Phatty in your setup, in order to trigger the envelopes and to open the VCA via the VCA EG. When you don't play the Slim Phatty, it won't process a sound coming in from the external signal input.
Hello - thanks again for your input

After some more research I found a post from Amos from some time ago - long story short: plug a cable into your KB Gate, (it doesn't have to connect to anything / dummy cable) and say goodbye to the need to hold down a note of the SP - the plug keeps the gate open. S U C C E S S !!

gritty beats thanks to that awesome Moog filter

Cheers guys!!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:33 am

bwah wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:32 amplug a cable into your KB Gate, (it doesn't have to connect to anything / dummy cable) and say goodbye to the need to hold down a note of the SP - the plug keeps the gate open. S U C C E S S !!
Even with that, I think you may have to face that:
stiiiiiiive wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:22 amLast point: if you feel after a while that the volume is decaying, you may want to retrigger the envelope before pressing record, e.g.. Again, refer to the manual about that DECAY setting.
... thus the keyboard solution is more adapted since you can trigger a second gate more easily that unplugging/replugging the dummy cable. But hey, you tell us how it works! :)

till wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:26 pm
till wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:28 am I think you have to keep a note playing all the time you like to hear the input. ...
I thought it was obvious what to play:
You have to play and hold a note to the Slim Phatty in your setup, in order to trigger the envelopes and to open the VCA via the VCA EG. When you don't play the Slim Phatty, it won't process a sound coming in from the external signal input.
Sorry Till, did not want to put your advice aside. It sounds complete to me but as I've often met some misunderstanding about that use, I just wanted to make it obvious... did not want to upset :oops: