Little Phatty Stage II - unsteady volume output

Everything Phatty.
nato

Little Phatty Stage II - unsteady volume output

Post by nato » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:20 pm

I have an LP II (circa 2010) that sounds fine through headphones, but any time I send audio to an amplifier the output volume dips and surges unpredictably. I do not see "dancing LEDs" and I don't notice any other symptoms. The problem persists when connected to any external speaker whether I use the "audio out" or the headphones out. I've tried various cables too. (Thinking this might be a ground loop, I connected the LP to a battery-powered amp, but that didn't help any more than changing the rooms.) The only way to hear a clear, constant tone is to listen through headphones. It's been years since I've used this on a gig and I didn't notice it in the past. I have firmware version 3.21. Thanks for any replies.

hieronymous

Re: Little Phatty Stage II - unsteady volume output

Post by hieronymous » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:57 pm

The only thing I can think of to suggest is to exercise the knob. Not sure if these are self-lubricating though. I have an LP Tribute and noticed something similar with the filter frequency knob. I can't remember if I got it to work better or if I just got used to it - obviously not an acceptable solution in your case!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Not sure the potentiometer is th culprit because it controls the volume in both main output and headphone output.

nato

Post by nato » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:40 am

Thank you for your responses. This seems to have resolved itself after a few days and I'm not sure why. The potentiometer controlling volume seems to be the most likely culprit, though I don't know enough about the LP design to know if it's even possible: one knob controls both the headphones and the audio out levels, and only audio out was affected. The moog lives to play another day!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:43 pm

Good news! Hope this will last forever :)

pbayneg

Post by pbayneg » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:02 pm

I just bought a used LP a couple of days ago, and I've had the same issue. Hopefully mine gets fixed on it's own too

Jamesn

Post by Jamesn » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Did the sound start working for you as well. I just got a used and it has the same issue.