Simple DIY-fix to get a more open sound on your LITTLE PHATTY TRIBUTE EDITION

Everything Phatty.
danne71

Post by danne71 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:23 pm

You only need to cut/desolder a capicator.

I was thinking of selling my "little Phatty TE" becouse of the lack of brightness in the sound. Ok i have heard that the oscillators was to blaim for this.(?)

Today i did some testing with a oscilloscope and the waveforms lock as they should both Prefilter and postfilter... hmm why not on the output? I found a extra capicator (10 nF, marked 103) in paralell with R62 to work as a extra LPF after the VCA....(Why?). When removed, the sound opened up and the phatty sounded more like a minimoog.
Now i do not need to sell the moog LPTE.. Im very happy. :lol:
/Dan Lind

grenert

Re: Simple DIY-fix to get a more open sound on your LITTLE PHATTY TRIBUTE EDITION

Post by grenert » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:41 pm

Glad it worked for you! Do you know what the value is of R62? I'm wondering what the intended cutoff frequency is.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

danne71

Re: Simple DIY-fix to get a more open sound on your LITTLE PHATTY TRIBUTE EDITION

Post by danne71 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 am

Not easy to see, but i think SMD code is 103 on the resistor(10K)
Attachments
Image1.jpg

grenert

Post by grenert » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 am

Wow, that is a cutoff of 1591 Hz. Pretty low, even for a 1 pole filter! Not surprising that it is audible. Is your photo a "before" shot, or did you decide you like it better with the capacitor back in place? Might be fun to make it switchable.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

danne71

Post by danne71 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:19 pm

This is a "before" photo.
Lifted one leg of the cap so it dont get lost if i change my mind :D

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:08 am

danne71 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:19 pm This is a "before" photo.
Lifted one leg of the cap so it dont get lost if i change my mind :D
After doing this, did you notice any distortion on the higher registers? Maybe it was done to limit noise on higher octaves.

Might be a good idea on the future. I quite like the sound of the Phatty as is.

The one thing I’d like to change on the Little Phatty is the range for filter EG. It’s simply not enough.
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue