voyager edit software with LP?

Everything Phatty.
godzilla

voyager edit software with LP?

Post by godzilla » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:13 am

well they are designed to be compatible with each other so maybe it would work

otherwise do you think they'll come out with a separate edit program?

GregAE

Re: voyager edit software with LP?

Post by GregAE » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:21 am

godzilla wrote:well they are designed to be compatible with each other so maybe it would work
Compatible? Well I guess you could say that, but they are clearly not identical WRT to MIDI SysEx data, and that is what counts.
godzilla wrote:otherwise do you think they'll come out with a separate edit program?
Probably at some point. A software editor would be a nice tool have, especially one having features like those of the current Voyager Editor (see all the parameter values on a single screen, name/save patches, reorganize banks, etc.).

I wonder how many LP owners would like to see a software editor. Anyone?

- Greg

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:30 am

i would!
Moog LP TE

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:44 am

I reckon there will be a dedicated LP editor... maybe even some computer-interface possibilites beyond what the Voyager has now!
No timeline yet on when this might be happening, though. Stay tuned...

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:02 pm

Excuse my ignorance on this one but does the software allow you to store and back up presets? I find I want to save sounds about every 5 minutes while working with my Phatty as everything sounds so cool! I hate the thought of writing over the factory presets though as I am new to programming analog synths and the presets serve as nice building blocks at this point.

On modern synths there are usually factory presets and then blank presets to store user creations. Does the Phatty not include these blank presets since it is assumed that you will not be using the factory presets? Am I missing something?

Thanks

p0rth05

Post by p0rth05 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:04 pm

I use "SysEx Librarian" on Mac OS X (It's free). I can save and load LP patches quite easily. :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:42 pm

For Mac definitely use SysEx Librarian, it is dreamily simple: http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

For PC I recommend MidiOX, which is so useful it's scary. http://www.midiox.com. Among its many features, it can save sysex data as a file on your hard drive and then send said files out your MIDI output... sysEx is the format that the LP uses for exporting/importing presets. Once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy to do.

My first recommendation would be to go to the master|sysex utilities menu and send all presets... save this to your computer and you will have all the factory presets available to reload from your 'puter if you like. This is also good practice to be sure everything is working. After that, you can tweak up as many sounds as you like and send the individual sounds as sysex to the computer to be saved.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:02 pm

Jazzpunk wrote:Excuse my ignorance on this one but does the software allow you to store and back up presets? I find I want to save sounds about every 5 minutes while working with my Phatty as everything sounds so cool! I hate the thought of writing over the factory presets though as I am new to programming analog synths and the presets serve as nice building blocks at this point.

On modern synths there are usually factory presets and then blank presets to store user creations. Does the Phatty not include these blank presets since it is assumed that you will not be using the factory presets? Am I missing something?

Thanks
The LP has 100 memory locations. These are filled with 100 factory patches, but all can be overwritten if you chose. Feel free to tweak any of the patches and save the result, or create new ones. You can restore the factory bank at any time using the RESTORE command.

Amos' suggestion for SysEx programs is right on. With these freeware programs (SysEx Librarian or MIDI-OX) you can save individual presets or an entire bank, and freely move presets around. Note, however, that these programs don't provide the functionality of a dedicated Editor/Librarian program. Hopefully, there will be one for the LP in the near future.

Greg

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks guys...awesome tips.

CTRLSHFT

Re: voyager edit software with LP?

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:07 am

GregAE wrote: I wonder how many LP owners would like to see a software editor. Anyone?
i find this to be an invaluable tool on my evolver, and see no reason why this wouldn't hurt to have either. admittedly, i think the little phatty doesn't really need it, as the programming is pretty simple for this machine, but an ability to see my whole patch all at once would be totally useful.

mebbe they could include a patch morphing application in the editor too, i love messing with patches and randomizers like that, great results can and do come from nowhere.
www.ctrlshft.com

RidleyGriff

Post by RidleyGriff » Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 am

Hey Amos--

As you last spoke to this in August of last year, I was wondering if there was any update as to the status/timeframe for a potential editor app for the LP?

Thanks for all your help here in the forum!