LP arrived :)

Everything Phatty.
eframp

Post by eframp » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:54 am

I received S/N 0065 on Monday. Lots of fun to play. Fast keybed, ain't it?

e

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:18 am

i got s/n 84 on tuesday!! yeah, it's a wonderful keyboard! so easy to play...
so beautiful sounding...
Moog LP TE

p0rth05

Post by p0rth05 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:40 pm

I spoke to soon. #53 is shipping off to Moog Music. Two LEDs are flickering, one goes completely out. The logo on the left wood panel is upside down. And the VALUE knob is a bit flakey. However, the sound is absolutely amazing. Can’t wait to get it back.

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:29 pm

one of my LEDs is bad on the mod bus section... it flickers a bit...i don't know if i should bring it in to have this worked on, especially while they're hard pressed to get them off the production line, i'd feel bad tying them up. anyway I'll see what happens for the next few days, and i might drive up to pay 'em a visit...but, as was said before, sound is absolutely beautiful!
Moog LP TE

synthpimp

Post by synthpimp » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:09 am

I thought the problems such as the flickering LEDs were resolved? Don't they burn them in and look them over before they leave the shop? An upside down Moog logo is just silly.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:08 am

the LEDs that show the LOF waveforms are supposed to flicker to show that rate and shape of the modulation

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:34 pm

well, yeah, but this one is not in sync with the lfo, and it's on the ring of LEDs around the master pot.... -But- I'll have you know, as i said before, it sounds so AWESOME
Moog LP TE

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:57 am

#72 here and it is love at first sight! As soon as I pulled my Phatty out of the box and plugged it in I thought, 'I must post how much I dig this machine!'. Four hours, half a bottle of vino and one nod to the name later, I am finally able to tear myself away.

The genius of Bob (and the Moog team) is that he was able to intuit and realize machines that you cannot keep your hands off of! You cannot stop reaching for the knobs on this baby and every twist and turn takes you down a new and equally rewarding road. I knew it was going to sound good but I had not expected it to feel so 'right' to the touch.

Um, I guess what i am trying to say is, 'Thanks Moog!'

I'd gush some more but I really need to get back to playing.

(Tribute CD and poster are really classy touches as well...nicely done)

Concept

Post by Concept » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:27 pm

Hey guys.....Just wondering if anyone else has gotten their Lil' Phatty yet?
Still waiting on mine....anyday now..... :D

As well, I know that some of you have had yours for some time; it would be good to hear some new reviews and/or oppinons on the capabilities of these lil' beasts!

Most reviews that I have read, are after one day of ownership.....anybody diving deep into theirs yet?
http://www.myspace.com/hiddenforces
www.breakdownsound.com
Apple G5 Dual 2Ghz / Logic Pro / Reason
E-mu E6400 Ultra w/RFX /E-mu XL-1
Access Virus b / Novation Nova
Moog LP #0103 / Moog Rogue
Mackie 32:8 / Mackie Control

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Yes I am also curios about what some people think about it after a couple of weeks.....I know many are still on the honeymoon phase....I am just about to get one but I am concern about the sound...How much bass compared to other Moogs and the modulation abilities.....I really like the dials idea showing where you left the settings…I wish my OB-Xa had that….Love to read some more comments about it…..

earlynextyear

Post by earlynextyear » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm

I'll jump in to this one... up until the LP, I've only owned an MG-1 (2 actually, which I use live) and a Prodigy. With those synths I was very dependent on actually looking at the dials to kind of gauge my sounds. With my LP I find myself often closing my eyes and really listening to the the way the sounds are blending to find out what works and what doesn't. It's one of those instruments that you really find yourself connecting with to get the most out of it. I assume it's the same way with the Voyager, but I haven't spent more than 15 mins fiddling with one of those.

I've had Serial Num 55 for a few weeks now and I'm pretty sure that I'll be eternally stuck in the honeymoon phase. I don't feel limited with this synth as I did with the MG-1 or Prodigy I'm constantly making patches on the LP and then re-tweaking them the next day and they always get better, bigger, and fuller.

The low-end is really where the Phatty shines. You can crank out some serious bass with it. Having the octave buttons really helps when you want to go from growling bass to screaming lead.
I currently have a love/hate relationship with the presets. Most of them are gone, but there are a few that I kept to study in order to learn how to get those sounds (I'm a self-taught synthesist. Took a subtractive synthesis class in college and it went right over my head. Took fiddling with an analog synth for everything to click.). Some of the presets are a lot of fun, others just take up space.

I think that the modulation bus is another place where the LP really shines. I'm gearing up to start using the LP live and I cannot wait to have the mod wheel at my disposal. Having a wide selection of destinations is perfect for finding the right effect for the patch. Modulating the 2nd oscillator gets some crazy sounds!

I find the interface itself a piece of cake to use. flipping to a setting and grabbing the knob is already second nature. I've used Line 6 gear for a while, so it's a very similar principal in my mind.

The LP itself feels like a tank. All the knobs feel great and when you first flip on the powerswitch and it does it's little LED "dance" you know you're in for a good time. This is one of the most beautiful synths I've ever laid eyes on.

Other thoughts on the LP:
- I don't miss having a noise generator.
- The overload is beefy and often times necessary to get punchy sounds.
- Does it suck having "Bob Moog" written on the back? No way. If you're seriously upset because it doesn't have the standard "Moog" logo, then you're probably in this for all the wrong reasons anyway.

Even though I nabbed a tribute, I'm eager to see how the Stage Edition will be presented and would even consider buying a second LP when it is released.

If there are any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Gives me something to do at work. Besides... y'know... work.

Hopefully that helps. Get one of these soon!
[url=http://www.myspace.com/earlynextyear]Early Next Year[/url] - Synth-fueled Powerpop from Orlando, FL!

p0rth05

Post by p0rth05 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:22 pm

I added a SysEx patch to the Yahoo group phatsound. It's called ALMOST SNARE. It's one way to get a noise sound without a noise source on the Moog LP. Make sure the MOD wheel is maxed out. Let me know what you think.

:?:

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:06 pm

One quick note:

I think the octave buttons are great, as they are more like performance controls than merely keyboard settings... It changes the pitch in real time, as where all other synths I've played with (w/ Octave up/down buttons) you would have to retrigger the keyboard note to get it to play the switched octave...

Say you have a really heavy glide on a patch, you can hold a note and hit the octave buttons (up or down) and it will glide the note an octave, as if you physically triggered a note one ocatve from the note where you were when you pressed the button.. I thought that this is a very cool and well thought out performance control..

My wife is also very fond of rhythmically changing the mod source along with her melodies... With the super comfy, squishy buttons it makes it easier to use as another unexpected performance control...

I'll post some samples asap... I've just been a bit busy..

Also, we played a gig last night with our LP.. And it shook the place a bit ( along with our Minis :) ) ..
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:17 pm

Nick Montoya wrote:...it shook the place a bit ( along with our Minis :) ) ..
Yes, I can imagine....

If you come back to Portland again and play a return engagement at the Ash Street Saloon, I am going to wear a helmet, just in case that Moog bass knocks the plaster off the ceiling..... :wink:
Thanks Bob!!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:05 am

p0rth05 wrote:I added a SysEx patch to the Yahoo group phatsound. It's called ALMOST SNARE. It's one way to get a noise sound without a noise source on the Moog LP. Make sure the MOD wheel is maxed out. Let me know what you think.

:?:
Congrats, p0rth05 - you're the first to post an LP patch on Phatsound! Now let's hear from the rest of the new LP owners - show us what you can do! All are welcome!

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/phatsound/

- Greg