I just bought a Tribute Edition

Everything Phatty.
wultz

I just bought a Tribute Edition

Post by wultz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:17 pm

I was walking by a garage sale and they were selling a Mood Littly Phatty. I think a Tribute edition. He was saying $400 bucks but then when we tested it we realized it didn't work. I have done some electronics work before so I thought this was a pretty good chance so I bought it for $200.

Does anyone know where I can go for details on fixing a machine like this? I'm not really sure where to start.

edit: It's not a Tribute edition it's a Phase II though.
Last edited by wultz on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wultz

Re: I just bought a Tribute Edition

Post by wultz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Okay turns out it was just the power cable. So that's pretty cool.

Few more questions:
1. Where can I get a replacement knob since one of the bigger ones are missing.
2. What is the difference between this machine and the Sub 37?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Come on, $200 and only the cable was rotten!! :)
Congratulations!

The knobs can be found in any DIY stompboxes (online) shop, like MusikDing (in UE).

As of the differences between the Sub37 and the Phatty, the Phatty has less possibilities: amongst others, no sub oscillator, no sequencer (but an arpeggiator), only one modulation bus (with only one auxiliary destination), less modulation options.
But as it's a Stage II edition and not a Tribute, it can receive the CV out extension (only the Subsequent 37 CV has it) and I find its sound more rock‘n’roll. I was really excited by the Sub 37 announcement but decided to keep my good ol' Phatty when I tried the Sub 37.

All in all I would say it’s a more direct instrument

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 pm

I think you were very lucky! To me, the Little Phatty is an incredible synth, and I can't be biased enough when I talk about it.
Really, really love it.

Made a simple video a week ago, showing some differences between Little and Sub Phatty.
Maybe it will make you comfortable with your choice. Although it has a few functions missing, the sound of the Little Phatty is huge.

https://youtu.be/3l4s7OmDsuc
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue