Whining and complaints - what gives?

Everything Phatty.
calyx93

Whining and complaints - what gives?

Post by calyx93 » Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 am

I just don't get it. People on this forum and others have been clamouring for years that Moog shoud make a cheap, 2-osc synth with basic functions for a good price. Now that those wishes were heard and granted (how f***ing rare is that!!??), everyone (well, not everyone - sorry for the generalisation) is complaining about the perceived shortcomings and compiling a wish-list of features. Idiots!

This is ridiculous, folks! You got your wish - a very capable, NEW, 100% analog signal path synth with a built in keyboard and some performance controls! Yes it's a little pricey - but it's a Moog - and you're paying for that hand-made quality, personal support and SOUND! Functionally, it's much better than a Prodigy or Taurus-1, and you know how much people are willing to pay for the latter one.

For those that are complaining about its shortcomings - what were you expecting? A stripped down Voyager for the price of an Evolver? Please! Some dolt mentioned the lack of knobs for every function - Would you like to see what that would do to the cost? People complaining about the name, the look, the lack of wood on the stage edition. All these friggin' complaints and very little in the way of praise for a great niche synth that sounds incredible, will serve you for a very long time and can be integrated any modern studio.

Look at it this way, it could have been as stripped-down as a basic Paia FatMan, could cost nearly as little and have a much lesser build-quality (no offense Paia) - but then imagine the barrage of complaints about the lack of features...

Whether it's too much or never enough - people seem to just need to complain. Show a little gratitude for the wish that was heard then granted.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue May 02, 2006 9:29 am

I agree.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Tue May 02, 2006 10:36 am

Well said! People are grumblers and complainers because it's far more interesting than just being happy and appreciative.

Regarding the price.....I can almost guarantee that LP's will drop way down in the used market within the year. It's inevitable. Still....$1300 or $1000.....to squabble over a few hundred dollars is ludicrous....especially for people accustomed to paying thousands for synths and recording equipment.

dualaud

Post by dualaud » Tue May 02, 2006 11:16 am

howdy,

i'm very excited about this new synth! though i contributed one posting in the "if i could change one thing about the lp" thread, which was to add s+h as source to the lfo. and this is just because every moog i played and/or owned (not that i'm the god of the moog owners) had the ability to just stand there and bleep randomly by itself.
i'm 30 and i grew up with the notion, that this is a distinctive feature analogue synthesizers had and i love hearing it on recordings and like to use it live or in the studio as well. when i was a kid, the "randomly playing by itself", was what led me to believe those beasties have a life and a language of their own; on an organic level
in fact, every time i see a new/old synth nowadays (or a <cough> plugin </cough>), i'm looking whether the feature is built-in.

so i'm going to miss that feature in the out of the box LP. (surely the option to achieve this is build in the LP (CV) and i'm glad about that, but spite of the fact that i'm a lunatic when it comes to moog, i have to criticise from time to time. and it comes out of the box without s+h or random as source for the lfo)

but i promise as soon as i will be able to play one, i will praise even more!

cheers,
dual

ps. and everything you said!

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Tue May 02, 2006 12:03 pm

That's a vaild point. I too wish that the LP had S&H and a noise source, but....I have a Voyager which has those features and I'm sure everyone on this forum has a synth which has those features as well. The LP is going to be a great lead/bass synth, without being limited to just that, either.

roboctopus

Post by roboctopus » Tue May 02, 2006 12:05 pm

Well said calyx. I'm very pleased with the features, myself. The only moog I own is a prodigy (which is in need of some repairs--and which does not have the ability to stand there and beep randomly by itself.) So the phatty looks great from my viewpoint. I'll be selling my prodigy in favor of a phatty.
What does this button do?

LP Stage II, Dead Prodigy, Juno 60, MF-101 & 102, CP-251, guitars, bass, banjo, and the almighty glockenspiel/melodica combo

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Tue May 02, 2006 2:03 pm

WELCOME TO THE INTERNET BUDDY........

newsflash.....People complain......it's their nature.......learn to live with it.

martin

Post by martin » Tue May 02, 2006 2:11 pm

relax, man! what's up with calling people dolts and idiots? don't get your knickers in a twist!
i don't care much for the name, but i love the concept of the phatty.
just wish it would be in the shops already so people could try it out. that's my only real complaint.

calyx93

Post by calyx93 » Tue May 02, 2006 4:38 pm

martin wrote:relax, man! what's up with calling people dolts and idiots? don't get your knickers in a twist!
i don't care much for the name, but i love the concept of the phatty.
just wish it would be in the shops already so people could try it out. that's my only real complaint.
I am relaxed, man. 8)

Just as everyone has the right to post their complaints, I too am exercising my right to do the same. I certainly didn't mean to strike a tender nerve with anyone - just reminding everyone to be glad that the Bob's last personal product was in response to our wants and suggestions.

I agree that S/H would've been an obvious inclusion - didn't stop the Sequential Circuits line from being a hit though. Noise would've been nice too - but the CP-251 solves both issues nicely.

martin

Post by martin » Tue May 02, 2006 5:49 pm

i am not sure what this is about. who actually really *complained* about anything? the few *suggestions* or *wishes* in question were about some features not available in the phatnik (the oddball name *is* weird but once the thing is out i predict it won't mater that much), meaning functions such as s&h, ringmod or noise, trig or whatnot.

if that's what you need on top of the phatman, get one of those funky foogers/boxes. in 99.9 percent of the cases, there are other ways of getting there.

all those funny extras would be nice to have (given that noise/random/trig were available on the rogue), but at the end of the day, it is ok to just concentrate what the phatsack does best which is probably a nice bass/melody box.

but i haven't heard it yet or played it, so that's just my guess. anyway, i'll probably get a plastic-sided (?) phatty at some point. can't wait.

:wink:

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Wed May 03, 2006 3:05 am

Well said.

Love the look, love the price and yep, even love the name.

(Jeez, who knew moog owners had no sense of humor? Bob would've been disappointed.)
Last edited by Jazzpunk on Wed May 03, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dualaud

Post by dualaud » Wed May 03, 2006 4:55 am

i wonder how people reacted to its name when 'the rogue' came out... ;)

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed May 03, 2006 6:28 am

ok i think i need to clear a few things up seeing as started the thread in question.

i probably should have said it in the post (don't know why i didn't) but i started that thread so people could give small suggested changes to the spec, as it hasn't or hadn't been finished yet (yeah i really didn't make that clear sorry :) )

I'm really very happy with this new synth and its spec, my only worry was that (not saying they did cause i don't know yet but "if") they didn't design the VCA section to work well with ext audio by leaving out:

- a switch to turn the VCA decay off
- a knob to adjust the level of the input

and that's not asking for much, just a button and a knob (no extra S/H components or anything). Just so you can get more use out of that filter with other sources.

But even without these 2 ever so important features that could make or break a synth, i will still get the Little Phatty 8)

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Thu May 04, 2006 1:48 pm

No complaints here :)

I ordered 2 LPs yesterday !!! Muahahahahahaha....

- Nick
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu May 04, 2006 5:40 pm

Nick Putrid wrote:No complaints here :)

I ordered 2 LPs yesterday !!! Muahahahahahaha....

- Nick
2 LP's!! :)

I wonder if you'll be able to get them in sequential SN# order?

We'll have to put a special stamp on yours to make sure this occurs since you are a west coast Moog family member! :wink: