Pros/Cons of Phatty vs. Voyager

Everything Phatty.
Jazzpunk

Pros/Cons of Phatty vs. Voyager

Post by Jazzpunk » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:23 pm

Obviously sound will be the key but as no one has their hands on the Phatty yet, what are the obvious distinctions on 'paper'? It's a big price difference.

As it stands by specs alone, what does the Phatty offer that the Voyager does not and visa versa?

Thanks

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:45 pm

read the specs is obvious. :wink:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:12 pm

Wow, thanks for the illuminating response :roll:

Anybody else who might care to offer some actual insights on this subject for a newbie?

MC

Post by MC » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:56 pm

The specs will answer your question. The LP is cheaper because they stripped some features from the Voyager.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:01 pm

Ok, imagine if you will for just a moment that you are entering the world of analog synthesis for the first time. Reading over the specs is a little like comparing diagrams of two cars engine's when you've never even popped open the hood.

Does the Phatty offer any innovations that the Voyager does not or is it just as mc said, a stripped down version of the Voyager?

Perhaps I am posting this question prematurely and will just have to wait for a real review that goes beyond the tech specs.

Thanks anyway.

roboctopus

Post by roboctopus » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:37 pm

Ah, if you're a newbie, then you don't need a voyager anyway. Just get an LP and that will be a great (better than most) place to start. I started with a prodigy (which I still have.) The LP will still be a step up.
What does this button do?

LP Stage II, Dead Prodigy, Juno 60, MF-101 & 102, CP-251, guitars, bass, banjo, and the almighty glockenspiel/melodica combo

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:08 am

Thanks for the advice Rob.

rachel

Post by rachel » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:12 am

I see the LP as more like a Source, but without the arpeggiator or sequencer.

I think the CP-251 will sell well with this instrument as well, as it gives it a
noise, S&H and an extra LFO &c.

I just wish I could have more detail. Also the retailer here in Australia is
very laid back and hasn't taken my pre payment yet!

rachel

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:27 am

Thanks rach, I'll read up on the source and CP-251.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:30 am

ok the LP gives you a control marked "overload" (which the voyag3er doesn't have) in the filter section.
one of the things that makes different synths sound so different is the filter
having more ways to control the sound of the filter will allow you to greatly increase the variety of sounds a synth can produce.

another thing the voyager doesn't have is filter tracking of the glide, this is a limitation that the LP will not have.

LP pros
it's a small reasonably priced all-rounder synth, it will sound good, it looks good, and it's easier to move it from A to B than a voyager.

cons
it does have some very intense limitations as a stand alone (the lack of noise-sample and hold e.t.c) but it allows you to control the most important aspects of the sound with these elements, externally via the cp251 or similar

Voyager pros
i've never used one but i know how cool they would be, you'll probably have to do some homework about analog synthesis before really understanding what an amazing machine it is.

cons
doesn't have filter glide tracking or proper filter chromatic keyboard tracking, a stupid omition, even the most modest synths have this feature
costs way too much for most people

in my mind it's a much better deal to buy the phatty and send the rest on foogers

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:14 pm

Hey zilla, thanks alot for the info and the comparison.

Jyoti

Post by Jyoti » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:14 pm

Here's my 2p...

If you can afford it, go for a Voyager. This may sound insane for a beginner but I think the Voyager would be much easier to learn synthesis on as there's a knob / switch for (practically) every function. You only need to dig into the menus for deeper programming.

Whereas, the Phatty is a tad less immediate. For the experienced synthesist, this won't present much of a problem. When I'm programming my Source, I know the parameter I want to change, it's just a matter of selecting it. But I learned synthesis on a Moog Rogue by randomly fiddling around with the many controls and seeing what happened.

I realise many will disagree with me as the Voyager costs so much more than a Phatty but I do believe it would be the better synth for a beginner *if* they can afford it.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:55 pm

Thanks for your insight Jyoti. The Voyager is not cheap but as I bust my a** in post production all week, I think I'm about due a nice little reward :) I've never regretted an expensive purchase that either improved the quality of my recordings or pushed my understanding of the gear in general.

Thanks for the replys, I was thinking this forum was going to be a complete waste after those first two responses. i appreciate those kind enough to share some actual insights.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:32 pm

By the way, the Voyager filter DOES track glide. This problem was fixed a while back.

Opinions on Phatty vs. Voyager? From what I've heard the Phatty sounds great. Has all the basic monophonic synthesizer functions you'd need, like the Prodigy or Source (sans arpeggiator/sequencer). I think it would be a great first synthesizer.
Lacks: all but most basic mod routings, velocity sensitive keyboard, one knob per function.

I started with a friends Micro, bought a Prodigy, and have gone through my own Micro, Source (x2), Taurus 2, and currently have 2 Minimoogs, a Voyager, a Multi, (and a Creamware ASB... shhh). If you want flexibility to make insane sounds save for the Voyager. If you need a great sounding basic melody machine (basses and leads) get the Phatty.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:30 pm

Thanks floyd. I think based on the responses so far, I'm going to keep saving for the Voyager. It may be a bit much for me at first but I have the feeling I'll be enjoying the quality time spent getting to know it.