Gate in SUST.PED function on Slim

Everything Phatty.
beltering

Gate in SUST.PED function on Slim

Post by beltering » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:24 pm

Hallo all,

My Slim Phatty is updated to firmware 3.2 and now I can see in the "advanced Preset" section the function Gate in: GATE -GATE/SUS - SUST.PED...In any case I can not hear the Slim play the notes as a polyphonic instrument (not a very polyphonic I know, I mean one by one like a sustain piano, like in the official moog video where the guy plays the little phatty...). So, can I do this with the Slim? or I must have a Little Phatty necessarily...

Thanks

_DemonDan_

Re: Gate in SUST.PED function on Slim

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:37 pm

beltering wrote:I can see in the "advanced Preset" section the function Gate in: GATE -GATE/SUS - SUST.PED...In any case I can not hear the Slim Phatty play the notes as a polyphonic instrument (not a very polyphonic I know, I mean one by one like a sustain piano, like in the official moog video where the guy plays the Little Phatty...
Hi beltering,
I suspect that there have been no Forum responses because of how much back-and-forth it'll take to make sure we're both talking about the same thing. But I'll have a go at it.

I "think" you're wanting old notes to continue playing (or fade away, depending on the AMP's DECAY and SUSTAIN values) when you use the SUST.PED feature.

If that's the case, my disappointing answer is:
A sustain pedal can't turn a monophonic synth into a polyphonic synth. Having one voice (or more) continue, while a completely new (fully independent) voice starts playing, requires a separate OSC/FIlter/Amp/Envelope for each additional note.

A Sustain Pedal can only replicate what happens when you press one key of a synth and then press another key (or keys), without letting go of the first key. Whatever happens then is exactly what's going to happen when you step on Sustain and then hit several keys.

On a polyphonic synth (with a preset not set to Mono), doing either of those things will result in old notes hanging around (as dictated by the ADSR values).

But it's not the Sustain pedal adding polyphony. The Sustain pedal is merely simulating holding multiple notes.

If none of this is what you meant, try telling me what you really meant and we'll go from there.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _