DSI MEK vs minimoog

Everything Phatty.
Kabang!

DSI MEK vs minimoog

Post by Kabang! » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:54 pm

Not to promote another synth on this site (especially this Holy ground) but, I find it curious that theere has been little or no comparisons of of the mini and Dave's new mono evolver. for any that knows its specs and $1200 price, do you blame me for thinking it to be a no-brainer over the mini?

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:08 pm

Ah, the inevitable thread...

Here's my OPINION.

Yes, the MEK has very nice specs. Its a GREAT keyboard, all of Dave Smith's stuff is excellent. But I will never buy one. Why? The sound.

I don't like the Dave Smith sound. Its just not for me. Every sample I listen to reminds me of 1980's PBS music. I don't know why! Maybe because they used a P5 on all those 80's TV shows and it was burned into my feeble child brain.

The only way to get the Moog sound (what I like) is to buy a Moog. Its like comparing Fender vs. Gibson, its just a different sound.

Kabang!

Youre totally right

Post by Kabang! » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:17 pm

This is why I am getting the LP. I know what you mean about the Dave sound. At least I think they use too much distortion on the samples. but, I do believe that it can be shaped into beautiful sounds with some care. - so I bought one of those as well.
I think for the simple power of the moog the LP is perfect for me. For a little more dirt and flex, its the MEK.