LP poly chain

Everything Phatty.
Kermitdk

LP poly chain

Post by Kermitdk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:32 pm

I am using a LP and 3 SP in poly chain, but very often one of the SP stops responding. If I then sendes a all note off from the LP, then it gets back to normal. Am I the only one with that problem ? (= what am I doing wrong) :-) - latest firmware on all units.

ozfunghi

Re: LP poly chain

Post by ozfunghi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:58 am

My first response was going to be: change to the latest firmware! But you did that already. I had the same problem with my LP + 2x SP, but i took 'm for a spin again yesterday, for the first time after they all had been updated to the latest firmware and with the same preset bank installed, and i messed around for two hours, and i didn't get this problem. When i tried this before, it was basically impossible to play for 2 minutes without notes disappearing.

I have 14 bit mode enabled. Make sure you have your poly chain setup correctly, LP = 1/4, SP1 = 2/4, SP2 = 3/4, SP3 = 4/4.
Also your cables are ok? I almost pulled my hair out once, before finding out my new "Klotz" cable was crap. Fitting name though.
Last edited by ozfunghi on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kermitdk

Post by Kermitdk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Ohhh a few things to try :D I haven't tried with 14 bit. And maybe I should try some other midi cables - It isn't the most expensive ones I got. Thanks a lot for the suggestions - I´ll get back when I have tried with new cables.

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:25 am

Kermitdk wrote:Ohhh a few things to try :D I haven't tried with 14 bit. And maybe I should try some other midi cables - It isn't the most expensive ones I got. Thanks a lot for the suggestions - I´ll get back when I have tried with new cables.
Before spending a crazy amount on new cables... Is it always the same Slim that stops responding? If so, before buying new cables, just swap the cables and see of the problem shifts to another Slim. If not, it's probably not the cables. If it occurs with all the Slims, it would have to be a real bad brand of cable to have multiple faulty ones in your setup.

Kermitdk

Post by Kermitdk » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Got the new cables. It didn't help, but they are much better quality than the old ones, so it isn't a complete waste of money :-)
But I think I found the cause of the problem. It is always after I have used the arpreggiator. Then I need to send an all notes off - and then it´s fine again.
Is it "behavior by design" ?

isomoog

Post by isomoog » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:22 pm

brent from isopod here. i'd like to chime in, as i just acquired 4 phatties. i do believe you are on to something here, with the arpeggiator. amos made a post a while back while developing the software asking our opinion about arpeggiator features. i only wish i'd owned my units during development.

he asked how extra notes should be implemented. say you have 4 phatties, and you are using the arpeggiator, and you play 5 notes? should the latest note rob one of the voices? or should the phatty next in line wait for its old note to be released? this is a very important question, and i think note priority mode might have something to do with the dropped notes. robbing voices would be ideal in poly mode, but waiting for a released mode would be ideal for arpeggiation.

i stayed up all night trying to figure out my dropped note issue, and then found one of my phatties used the british spelling for "ANALOGUE MODE". this led me to realize it had old firmware. so i updated the british speaking phatty and still got some dropped notes. but not as often as before. i haven't experimented enough to know if note priority settings play into this behavior (behaviour) or not. i see this post is rather old, so i'd like to know how things are going with your phatties in regards to this issue. i'll keep you updated with my progress as well.

i have two other issues with SP operation, but i'll start a new thread for that.

brent r
isopod.us

Kermitdk

Post by Kermitdk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi brent,

Well I haven't gotten any further with the problem - for now I have just accepted it :)

P.S. - I dont think two weeks is an old post :lol:

Sterling Mann

Post by Sterling Mann » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 am

Hi all, I just added a Slim to my Little Phatty yesterday and have plans to add two more. Just thought I would add my experiences/questions so far..

I quickly set up poly chain and started playing, but noticed that after I adjusted some parameters it would quit working. I would get both playing on one key, second key nothing, then both playing together on next and so on. I realized my LP was on 3.21 and SP was on 3.11 so I updated to 3.21. They are working together much better now.

I have to manually push the function buttons on the SP to get them to change...say from cutoff to res. Is that normal? Seems it would get a bit tedious with two more SP in the chain.

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 am

:D 8) Made my own rack

Sterling Mann wrote:Hi all, I just added a Slim to my Little Phatty yesterday and have plans to add two more. Just thought I would add my experiences/questions so far..

I quickly set up poly chain and started playing, but noticed that after I adjusted some parameters it would quit working. I would get both playing on one key, second key nothing, then both playing together on next and so on. I realized my LP was on 3.21 and SP was on 3.11 so I updated to 3.21. They are working together much better now.

I have to manually push the function buttons on the SP to get them to change...say from cutoff to res. Is that normal? Seems it would get a bit tedious with two more SP in the chain.
Make sure your poly setup is correct. It looks like you have both set up as 1 of 2. The first should be 1 of 2, the second should be 2 of 2.

Sterling Mann

Post by Sterling Mann » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:26 pm

ozfunghi wrote::D 8) Made my own rack

Sterling Mann wrote:Hi all, I just added a Slim to my Little Phatty yesterday and have plans to add two more. Just thought I would add my experiences/questions so far..

Make sure your poly setup is correct. It looks like you have both set up as 1 of 2. The first should be 1 of 2, the second should be 2 of 2.
Woah, I want to make a rack like that! Care to show how you did it?

Thanks for the reply! I have since added two more Slims and poly functions perfectly now. Though pushing a button to change settings on 1 of 4 Phatty works throughout the chain I still have to manually push the buttons on 2-4 if I want see the corresponding lights. Say I change from resonance to filter cutoff on 1 of 4..I can hear the results on all voices when turning the cutoff knob, but 2-4 lights remain on resonance setting and light dials remain where they are until I change them individually on each Slim. Not really a big deal just curious if this is normal behavior.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Hey guys!

I've just received a Slim Phatty to add to my dear Little Phatty SE2.

The LP IS displays version 3.21S.690. According to the MoogMusic website, this is the last one available (since 2014-02-26). However I remember (blurrily) of somebody using a later version, in particular for smoother polychaining. Am I wrong?
The SP is in version 3.21.690 (no "S"), and according to the website, that is the latest as well (same date).

I know the polychain capability has been improved in the very latest OS versions and would like to know what they arre and where to find them. Can any polychainer help? :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColeGaskins

Post by ColeGaskins » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:59 pm

I've got 690/34 but I have no idea how to download it to the rest of my slims.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:03 am

Precisions.

On the LPSE2, the system utilities menu indicates 3.21 690 33.
The init sequence indicates Little Phatty Boot v1.1 then 3.21S.690.

On the Slim Phatty, the system utilities menu indicates 3.21 690 31.
The init sequence indicates Slim Phatty Boot v1.1, then 3.21 690.

That 690 34 must have been a available only for factory installation, not for upgrades. Am I wrong, anyone?...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:06 am

It's been a couple of weeks now since I received my Slim.
I've been playing in polychain mode without major problem. Weirdly enough, I could unsynchronize the Slim and the LP quite easily at first, but things are better now. I've tried several settings while running some tests (*) and I may have reached a good combination :)

An observation I want to share is that after running the full calibration routine on both instruments, while the tuning is more than satisfying (the 30°C we're having here may be helping... we'll see how the Slim behaves nest winter...), filter cutoff and LFO rate are not perfectly matched. I don't care much about this as I'm not into seeking perfection but I can see why some of us could be annoyed by that (e.g. on high resonnance filter sweeps or deep LFO modulation).

In the end of the day, two voices are cool and I may grab a third one if an opportunity shows up.

(*) On a sidenote, about stuck or disappearing notes, I've ran some tests and reported the results in that topic.

ColeGaskins

Post by ColeGaskins » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Is the forum even manned anymore by Moog?