Little phatty and yellow keys

Everything Phatty.
weary

Little phatty and yellow keys

Post by weary » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi!
I bought new white little phatty about two years ago,but the keys already turned yellow.
It's soooooo awful!!! :( My voyager's keys stay white more than five years!
Wrote to moog tech support and got this response:
"Moving forward, this is a question we get often from customers with older keyboards. This is a natural part of the aging process and there are remedies to restore the white of the keys without needing any invasive work done to the keyboard. Below I have copied a link to a website that will walk you through various methods for cleaning aged plastic, I recommend the peroxide method. You can also try doing an internet search for “yellowing plastic” and see what turns up. We unfortunately do not have any spare Little Phatty keyboards that we can sell you."

What?!! Moog synths are consumable now? 2 y.o. - older synth?!!
I have 2 y.o. white synth with yellowed keys and there's no way to get spare keys. No way!
I don't want to clean keyboard by peroxide every two years as long as they will turn into dust.
Is there any way to get new little phatty keys?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

Stuka

Re: Little phatty and yellow keys

Post by Stuka » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Maybe the environment you're keeping it in has some impact on the yellowing keys?

I keep my Little Phatty in a smoke-free air conditioned room, and keep a dust cover on it when not in use.
I bought it new 3 years ago, and it still looks fine.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Yeah, mine have yellowed a fair bit, but it lives by a window and gets more sun than it should.

I'm more concerned about the decaying rubber coating on my pitch and mod wheels...

Novem808

Post by Novem808 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:08 am

Sunlight and Moogs don't mix. All my gear is in a UV free zone, as is my AV system for this very reason. Take
A look at some Minimoog d listings on eBay, and it's really easy to tell which ones were parked in front of a window and which ones were in a dark room ( studio ) and the keys and wood condition can make a synth worth a lot less based on visual condition alone!

N.

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:24 pm

i bet this yellowing is making it sound terrible! :)

buy a dust cover, and embrace the vintage key sound!