Slim Phatty Polychain & audio question

Everything Phatty.
StLChill

Slim Phatty Polychain & audio question

Post by StLChill » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:10 pm

I have an Access Virus KC that I would like to use as keyboard for 3 slim phatty modules. I only have two questions...

1) Polychain can work without a Little Phatty, correct? Meaning in my example, the 1st Slim would be "in charge" of the 2nd & 3rd and they all could be played from the Virus KC keys?

2) When using all 3 Slims polychained together, would it make sense to run their audio like this?:
Slim #1 Audio Out -> Slim #2 Audio In
Slim #2 Audio Out -> Slim #3 Audio In
Slim #3 Audio Out -> Mixer

I'm thinking this could save me some spots on my mixer, but I don't know if it would actually work or not. In my mind, it seems it would, but I don't have any of it any front to actually try out.

Thank you for any help!

mikeh11

Re: Slim Phatty Polychain & audio question

Post by mikeh11 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Disclaimer: I don't have a Slim Phatty, and I should have grabbed the manual and read it before answering, so I'm assuming that the audio input goes to the mixer that feeds the filter in the Slim, and that it does Poly-Chain like some other Moogs.
1) Polychain can work without a Little Phatty, correct? Meaning in my example, the 1st Slim would be "in charge" of the 2nd & 3rd and they all could be played from the Virus KC keys?
I think so, yes. You daisy-chain the MIDI connections, and set each Slim appropriately: 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3,
7 of 9. :wink:
2) When using all 3 Slims polychained together, would it make sense to run their audio like this?:
No, I don't think so. The audio from Slim 1 would be processed by the VCF/VCAs in Slim 2 and Slim 3, wouldn't it? And the Slim 2 audio would be processed by Slim 3. You wouldn't even hear Slim 1 unless Slim 2 and Slim 3 were playing notes. I think you really need one mixer input for each Slim, or throw together some fixed, passive, mixer connection. (eek!)

Good luck!
MBP 2012 | OS X 10.11.6 | Sub 37 #6768

ozfunghi

Re: Slim Phatty Polychain & audio question

Post by ozfunghi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:13 am