Little Phatty tone creation help

Everything Phatty.
Saxobone

Little Phatty tone creation help

Post by Saxobone » Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 pm

I am new to analog synth. Been playing keyboards for 20 years though.
I am under the impression that in order to get the sound I want, I should start with a basic sound (1 Oscillator? 2?) and then learn what every knob and button on the machine does.
There is only one preset that I even really like (Mischievous [kind of Jan Hammer ish])

Can someone please explain to me how to start with a naked tone, and build it up with filter, etc?

sorry for such the noob question...I just want to start right.
I haven't brought it out on gigs purposely so I don't get into the habit of using a preset.

Thank you

autoy

Re: Little Phatty tone creation help

Post by autoy » Sat May 28, 2016 7:10 pm

HI! You don't need to start from an initialization state to create something that's on your mind. You can think of presets as templates which you then adapt to your own taste. I mostly never use a preset as it is because it's very rare that the sound is perfectly suited to my compositions without touching it. I can find something similar and then take it from there.

Once you perfectly understand not only what each parameter does but also it's range and how it affects other parameters you can use an initialization patch (usually patch 0 in a bank) to get what you need pretty fast. For example I know what kind of sound will I get if I use VCO2 to modulate the filter at audio range and then apply sync. I have that in my head before I program it, that's because I've been learning my Phatty inside out for a year now. I know how fast or slow the envelope and LFO can be, I know what inverting the envelope does and that it needs an open cutoff to really work. It's only then, after learning synthesis basics and knowing your machine inside out that you can venture into making presets from a scratch to achieve a certain sound in your head.

Now learning the basics is pretty straightforward, all analog and digital subtractive synths have the same building blocks: oscillators, volume mixer, filter, envelopes and LFOs. Each section does it's part in sound generation with their particular parameters. I'm sure there are tons of synthesis tutorials on youtube where you can get a grasp of which does what.

After a while you'll find that each of these building blocks differ considerably on each synth and ultimately define its tone and character. Get to know the tone and character of your synths as much as you get to know the personality of your friends.
Last edited by autoy on Mon May 30, 2016 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sat May 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Some people use the "Calibration" patch as an initial starting point.

Here are some articles from Sound On Sound that may help:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Start with the article at the BOTTOM of the list (May, 1999). Good luck.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

soundshaper

Post by soundshaper » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:31 pm

The Little Phatty is an incredibly fun synth to program, once you get a handle on all of the available functions, especially some of the extra ones in the preset menu. Start with any preset that at least has something you like about it, whether it's the general timbre, the envelope's reaction to your playing, or something that is modulating. Be sure to adjust the mod wheel in to see what that preset has it controlling, cause that may be something that inspires you as well. At this point start to change something about the preset you don't particularly fancy and shape into something else. Perhaps the envelope Release is too long, or the Filter's envelope modulation is too much. Make some adjustments and continue to use your ears to "suit your taste". Eventually you'll find that you've morphed the preset into something you think IS appealing. Save the new preset and move on to another or make some music! I have basically edited every preset in my LP into something new and more exciting for me, and now I have a synth full of tones I like, ready to play. Just keep tweaking.
Little Phatty Tribute Edition / Mother-32 / Moogerfooger MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 107, 108M / Realistic MG-1

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:32 pm

youtube subtractive synthesis and there are buttloads of tutorials. you can even add little phatty to your search and find ones specifically for that synth also. fun little synth. enjoy!