Slim Phatty w/ Ableton via USB

Everything Phatty.
beatpusher

Slim Phatty w/ Ableton via USB

Post by beatpusher » Fri May 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Apologies in advance, I've spent the last day trawling threads on various forums with no luck

Recently purchased a second hand Slim Phatty, plugged in via USB..

Ableton Recognises the Slim Phatty, I'm able to select it in the drop down menu as an external instrument to send midi to..

Midi outputs to the Slim Phatty are
Track: On
Sync: On
Remote: Off

Output on the Slim Phatty is ON

but nothing is playing, nothing through the output or phones....

Am I missing something? or have I bought a duff? tried various USB cables btw....

choruspedal

Re: Slim Phatty w/ Ableton via USB

Post by choruspedal » Sat May 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Is USB the only thing other than power plugged into the slim phatty? You'll need to output the audio into your interface/mixer or listen to it with headphones, the USB is only for MIDI information.

Tuskerfort

Post by Tuskerfort » Sat May 07, 2016 3:56 pm

Slim is great. Congratulations! Three things you could check ...

1) You didn't let us know if you checked your midi channels.

2) Is the Slim Phatty showing that midi is being received? ( I am not near my Slim, but something on the screen flashes when the Slim Phatty receives a midi note-on).

3) Have you tried using the Slim's arpeggiator, to see if the Slim's tone generator is working?

Good luck.

benway

Post by benway » Sun May 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Guessing that when you say "via USB", you're thinking audio over usb, which the slim doesn't do. You'll need to route its output into your audio interface, and select that input as "audio from" in your external instrument device to hear it.

Once you do get it up and running, I definitely recommend this Max for Live device for editing and automating parameters: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=1002