Roger Troutman talkbox on a Slim Phatty?

Everything Phatty.
DiggyDre

Roger Troutman talkbox on a Slim Phatty?

Post by DiggyDre » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Does anyone know how to make a good Zapp & Roger style talkbox patch on the slim phatty?

andow

Re: Roger Troutman talkbox on a Slim Phatty?

Post by andow » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:32 am

Actually there's not much to it! Pulse wave, filter pretty much all the way up and maybe a little glide. And most of all: a LOT of practice :wink:

lando calrissian

Post by lando calrissian » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Here's a nice tutorial on the Sub Phatty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hTCoYeHyg

DiggyDre

Post by DiggyDre » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:18 am

Thanks guys. I thought it would have been a saw wave. I'm going to check out the video now. I have the Yamaha DX100 which used to belong to Roger, it was given to me by his brother Terry Troutman when I was 15. I'm scared to mess with it to find out the settings plus, at the moment it is down because the power port needs to be re-soldered back on to the motherboard of the synth. I also have the microkorg with a talkbox setting but I don't think it totally has the ROGER sound. Thats why I want to try my Moog.

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Almost everybody will tell you to use a saw wave, but i have to say andow is correct. I also use a pulse wave and it sounds better than a saw wave (i'm using the Little Phatty, so the same sound engine as the Slim Phatty). Use one VCO (turn the second one off), filter open, no resonance, attack 100%, i think no decay and full sustain, no (or little) release. Also check the advanced preset menu for additional options there that might make a difference. Mod wheel for some pitch modulation.

IIRC Roger used the Yamaha or the Mini Moog. I know there are some live sets on youtube where he used the Moog. Maybe the horn driver & hose you use is as important as the synth itself though, since basically any synth is capable of outputting a basic preset that is suited for talkboxing. You just need as much as possible harmonics in the synth sound.

Then it comes down to being able to play the keys... with some ad lib pitch bends and mod wheel effects. And pronouncing your words very clearly. It takes practice. Especially the consonants that you "blow" when speaking (k, s, t, f, d...) you have to pay attention to, as unlike with your lungs, the talkbox will not "blow" wind into your mouth, meaning you have to compensate for these letters.

isomoog

Post by isomoog » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:47 pm

you have two oscillators. why not use BOTH pulse and saw? you could mix them, or sync them. moving FREQ on OSC 2 would change the waveshape in sync mode, which might be interesting with a talkbox.

brent r

DiggyDre

Post by DiggyDre » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 am

Hey I'll give that a shot too, lol.