How do I update the bootloader? (and a couple other q's)

Everything Phatty.
djdizzy216

How do I update the bootloader? (and a couple other q's)

Post by djdizzy216 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:08 am

I just bought my Sub Phatty around a month ago and I realized that its bootloader and firmware both need to be updated. I knew it needed its firmware updated so I was reading the firmware update PDF manual when I noticed this statement:
“If you are still on Sub Phatty firmware v1 (serial# 2892 or below, and you’ve never updated to firmware v2), then you will need to update your Sub Phatty to bootloader v2 before you can use this firmware update. Contact [email protected] and ask them for help updating the boot loader.”

My Sub Phatty's serial number is "SUB02764" and it's currently on firmware version 1.4.0, so it's included in the above statement in the manual, meaning its bootloader needs to be updated. I reached out to [email protected] twice and never received a reply, so I thought I'd try posting here and see if anybody here can help me. How do I update the bootloader?

On a completely separate topic, I was curious how to I calibrate the VCOs and VCF on the Sub Phatty?

breun

Re: How do I update the bootloader? (and a couple other q's)

Post by breun » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:10 pm

djdizzy216 wrote:I just bought my Sub Phatty around a month ago and I realized that its bootloader and firmware both need to be updated. I knew it needed its firmware updated so I was reading the firmware update PDF manual when I noticed this statement:
“If you are still on Sub Phatty firmware v1 (serial# 2892 or below, and you’ve never updated to firmware v2), then you will need to update your Sub Phatty to bootloader v2 before you can use this firmware update. Contact [email protected] and ask them for help updating the boot loader.”

My Sub Phatty's serial number is "SUB02764" and it's currently on firmware version 1.4.0, so it's included in the above statement in the manual, meaning its bootloader needs to be updated. I reached out to [email protected] twice and never received a reply, so I thought I'd try posting here and see if anybody here can help me. How do I update the bootloader?
The bootloader update is included in the firmware download on the Sub Phatty download page.
djdizzy216 wrote:On a completely separate topic, I was curious how to I calibrate the VCOs and VCF on the Sub Phatty?
Download the manual from the Sub Phatty download page. It tells you how to do a note calibration on page 37.

djdizzy216

Post by djdizzy216 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks for the reply, I completely overlooked the note calibration section in the manual. I saw it but I didn't know that was VCO calibration, I assumed it was referring to something else that I wasn't familiar with :lol: This is my first VCO synth, that's probably obvious at this point.

Regarding the bootloader, I have the v2.1.3 firmware downloaded already which comes with the "Sub_Bootloader_v2_Updater.syx" but Moog's firmware update instruction PDF mentions that people with a Sub Phatty that still has firmware v1 and has serial # 2892 or below (mine is # 2764) then I should contact their tech support, that made me wonder if there was something special that needs to be done with these units.

Moog's firmware update instruction PDF doesn't include steps on how to update the bootloader, how do I go about doing that?

breun

Post by breun » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:35 am

How to update the bootloader (and firmware, they are in separate .syx files) is explained in the update instructions PDF that comes with the download. It explains how to first upload Sub_Bootloader_v2_Updater.syx and afterwards the .syx file for the firmware. However, if Moog wrote that owners of units with serial numbers below 2892 need to contact them to update the bootloader then I would take that seriously and not go ahead with the update without hearing from them.

By the way, strangely enough that file with 2.1.3 in the name actually contains version 2.0.3 of the Sub Phatty firmware. I've already e-mailed Moog to point out this is confusing, especially a link to 2.0.6 is also floating around on the forums, but was never posted on the official download page.