Panel versus Preset, wth

Everything Phatty.
braddo

Panel versus Preset, wth

Post by braddo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:33 pm

Newb here, trying to make my way around this fine Sub37 right here.

I admit to being completely flummoxed trying to get it to do something I wanted until I discovered the "panel" button. Now I can see that in panel mode, one can change all the knobs and get stuff to happen.

But, ... the mystery is what's happening in present mode? That was the default, and turning some knobs and pushing some buttons seemed to make a difference but other knobs and buttons had no effect on the sound.

Is there some definitive answer as to what can be changed and what cannot in preset mode?

CompNutation

Re: Panel versus Preset, wth

Post by CompNutation » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:27 am

Hi,
A simple way to look at it is that, in Panel Mode you can create sounds/patches from scratch and save them. When in Preset Mode you can then recall the saved sounds/patches.
The behavior of the knobs and buttons in preset mode can be changed in the global settings – see below. Imagine if you’re playing live and you change patches you probably don’t want the sound to jump drastically when you turn a knob, so you can adjust the settings to your needs as stated below.
Also, in Preset Mode, depending on how the patch has been saved some buttons/knobs may appear to have no affect because there are other settings at work stopping them from having any affect.
Hope that makes sense :D
The manual is going to be indispensable to figure out this beast!
GLOBAL MENU PARAMETERS (CONTINUED)
POT MODE (GLOBAL MENU 1.4)
When changing presets, the physical positions of the panel knobs will not match the values saved in a
preset. POT MODE allows you to specify how a knob responds when you make changes to its position.
ABS: In absolute mode (default) the value of a parameter jumps to the knob’s current position as soon
as you begin turning it.
THRU: In pass through mode turning a knob has no effect until it reaches its preset value and then
takes effect.
RLTV: In relative mode turning a knob up or down slightly causes a minor change in value, while
turning it further causes an increasingly greater change in value. This allows the value to “catch up”
with the knob’s position and prevents any sudden jumps in sound.
NOTE: Relative and pass through modes are recommended for live performance, while absolute mode is
recommended for creating new sounds.

paul_sub37

Re: Panel versus Preset, wth

Post by paul_sub37 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:43 am

Also worth remembering that if you do an "init" in panel mode to start patch creation from scratch, the knobs won't be in sync. Following a panel-mode init, you need to press "preset" then "panel" again to get the patch and knob positions in sync.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2