External Audio trigger envelopes

Everything Phatty.
AndyQ

External Audio trigger envelopes

Post by AndyQ » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:18 am

Probably a dumb question, but I've not found any way to trigger the envelopes from the level of the audio input on the Sub 37. Is there any magic incantation for such a function or is it simply not available? I certainly can find no mention of it. My old Yamaha CS30 is dead and I used to get some great effects shaping drum machine sounds and the like and using the audio levels to trigger notes. If this isn't a function, am I right to assume the envelopes are digital and if there's some mechanism to detect the audio levels already in the synth such a feature could be implemented with a firmware upgrade? Otherwise is there some cheap external box that could take an audio input and generate a gate signal compatible with the Sub37 (ideally it'd route the audio off to the synth as well - maybe some boffin should make a few and put 'em on ebay...).

Amos

Re: External Audio trigger envelopes

Post by Amos » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:07 pm

you could try bunging some audio into the gate input. The external audio input isn't digitally scanned so it can't trigger anything.

AndyQ

Post by AndyQ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:05 am

Amos wrote:you could try bunging some audio into the gate input. The external audio input isn't digitally scanned so it can't trigger anything.
Nice lateral thinking but I did a quick test with the output of a Korg Volca Beats and got no joy regardless of output volume. If I get a chance I'll measure the outputs and try boosting it with something (if that's the problem). The Volca sync signal works but it triggers every second note from the sequencer. That may be configurable, but I this is something I want to do with the audio level as I want to use things like my Boss DR110, miked-up drum kits, vocals or whatever. It's no deal breaker - I've got a CS15 that'll do the job (until the CS30 gets fixed, approx year 3000), but the Moog would have made a nice alternative. Still getting to know the beast...thanks.

Etamin

Post by Etamin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:08 am

If you have any Eurorack, Doepfer module A-119 would do it.

AndyQ

Post by AndyQ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Etamin wrote:If you have any Eurorack, Doepfer module A-119 would do it.
That looks like it'll do the trick - damn fine suggestion, thanks.

Tenderosa

Post by Tenderosa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks for the idea! Got me trying something similar with the Sub P over midi parameters using an Ableton envelope follower https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/ref-new ... -max-live/