EG buttons scale and related xy function

Everything Phatty.
goodweather

EG buttons scale and related xy function

Post by goodweather » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:11 am

Hi,
can one of you explain the scaling of the EG buttons (like EG Attack) and/or describe the related y=f(x) function?
It starts at 0.1 mSec then at position 4 it is 10 mSec then at position 10 it is 1 sec and finally at position 14 it is 10 sec.

Analog pots can be logarithmic or linear.
OSC Beat frequency going from -5 to 5 is probably linear.
EG pots are probably logarithmic but cannot figure out the relation with the pot position...

Same question for LFO rate...

Thx in advance!

till

Re: EG buttons scale and related xy function

Post by till » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:47 pm

As these knobs are not directly creating the CVs used for the analog part, these might be scaled in every exotic way you can think of. Some synths even use a S-shape curve to get the most useful scaling.
On an envelope attack you need a detailed control for the very fast timing. And it doesn't matter that much if its set to 7.8 or 7.9 secs.
So linear is always bad on envelope stages time.
In the end its is not the math function for it, but how the scaling of a knobs feels to the user.
I had the chance to create the table that makes up the curve for a synth project. It was very interesting to see how different scaling felt on the very same parameter of the same synth. In the end a reversed S-shape had the best "feeling".
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:36 pm

till wrote:As these knobs are not directly creating the CVs used for the analog part, these might be scaled in every exotic way you can think of. Some synths even use a S-shape curve to get the most useful scaling.
On an envelope attack you need a detailed control for the very fast timing. And it doesn't matter that much if its set to 7.8 or 7.9 secs.
So linear is always bad on envelope stages time.
In the end its is not the math function for it, but how the scaling of a knobs feels to the user.
I had the chance to create the table that makes up the curve for a synth project. It was very interesting to see how different scaling felt on the very same parameter of the same synth. In the end a reversed S-shape had the best "feeling".
This is why I love this forum.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

goodweather

Post by goodweather » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:53 am

Thx for the viewpoint till!
I didn't push my reasoning so far and was more thinking in more classical curves (linear, exp, log...) but you are totally right... why not an S curve...
And your conclusion is indeed the good one: whatever curve as long as we get the good feeling :D
Was just curious to know as the scaling on the panel was definitively not linear...