Sequencer secret?

Everything Phatty.
braddo

Sequencer secret?

Post by braddo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:02 pm

I can't figure out how to get the sequencer to work... With the knob on record, arp off, and pushing Bank/Tie button per the manual, nothing happens. The bank button does not partially light nor does the LCD indicate record mode. Playing keys just plays keys and pushing the patch buttons just switch patches it doesn't prep those parts of the sequence for notes.

Currently the Preset light is on I wonder if somehow there's a lock feature on the presets? I did copy a drum patch to a user bank and try from there but same behavior.

Bald Eagle

Re: Sequencer secret?

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 pm

That's very odd. First, by pressing Bank/Latch you are going into edit mode but the sequencer should still be able to record. Try something simple...

1. Turn the Pattern knob to UP
2. Select Bank 1, Patch 1
3. Turn the Pattern knob to REC.

The LCD should show REC 01 / 01 at the bottom. Each note you play now should advance to the next step.

One thing I noticed is that in REC mode (not EDIT) mode if you press the Bank button and then the preset buttons you leave REC mode and a new patch is selected. Also, there is no lock feature for presets that prevents recording.

braddo

Post by braddo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:30 pm

So I got the record function to work just fine.

Now trying to get something out of edit mode. Seem all I can do is turn notes on and off within the same Preset.

Maybe I completely missed something here, is it possible to get more than one patch into a sequence?

I was hoping to get a simple drum track recorded over which I can noodle.

I guess I know the rhythm track would use one oscillator and the noodling would require the other.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:01 pm

No, you cant sequence multiple tracks. The Sub 37 is a mono synth (duophonic) only one patch per sequence.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:35 pm

to add to what bald eagle said, there are two oscillators but the sub 37 is paraphonic -there is only one VCF and one VCA shared by them both, so you can't shape the VCA and VCF for each oscillator.

You can record separate notes for each oscillator in the sequencer, and also velocity and mod wheel position - but it all goes through the same VCA/VCF.

In addition to being used as a source by the two mod busses, velocity can also be used for the VCF and VCA via the two VEL AMT settings in the ADSR sections.

one other thing you can do is to have an open VCA (full sustain) and modulate the OSC 1 / OSC 2 / NOISE level knobs to get some kind of independent control over the oscillator/noise volume shaping.

There is no distinction between patch types on the sub 37 - a drum patch is the same as a bass/lead patch.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

braddo

Post by braddo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:00 pm

OK I did know that there aren't really differences among patches except.for the incredible range of settings. Given that it did seem like a possibility however It's not critical to do what I was hoping to do just don't yet have ability to do anything else rhythm wise.

Thanks for the immediate responses!

I'm starting to think the best thing to get with this machine is a looper pedal...

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:21 pm

Obviously it depends on how you plan to use the sub 37. For live evolving work, then a looper pedal should yield interesting results - especially with a decent delay.

Using a DAW and the sub 37s preset storage, it is really easy to layer up multiple sub 37 patches, create drum kits of sub 37 percussive sounds, and then process the audio to create a finished track.

There are also a heap of quality apps out there for tablets and smart phones that cost buttons relative to computer apps but provide a massive amount of functionality covering DAW, instrument, and effect duties.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

Musiciansmith

Post by Musiciansmith » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:33 pm

I can't get started with the sequencer. It won't record at all. As far as I can tell I'm doing it right but nothings happening. Can someone explain what I'm not doing right? Malcolm