Ratcheting!

Everything Phatty.
Glynbo

Ratcheting!

Post by Glynbo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi all, I hope to soon be a Sub 37 owner as soon as I say goodbye to my Pro 2. My first question is, can the sequencer carry out `Ratcheting`. I sure I read somewhere it could but as of yet I have found no info on it. Many thanks Glyn.

Tobster

Re: Ratcheting!

Post by Tobster » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:51 pm

From the Moog website in the download section for the Sub 37. It concerns the list associated with Firmware update 1.1.0
Third bullet point item on the list.

New in 1.1.0
• Sequencer Step Edit Mode
• Quick mapping of programmable Mod Destinations
• Sequences can now include Skipped Steps and Ratchet
• Swing for the Arpeggiator, Sequencer, & Synced LFOs.
• Sequencer Mod Destination
• Sequencer Mod Only
• CV Mapping

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Glynbo wrote:My first question is, can the sequencer carry out `Ratcheting`
Yes, indeed! Straight from the manual, page 20:
RATCHET
To toggle RATCHET on/off for a certain step, hold a step button and then press the ARP LATCH [TIE] button. Ratchet causes a step to repeat multiple times within a single step-duration. You can set the ratchet multiple from 1x (no repeats) to 8x. The RATCHET CNT multiple can be edited in the PRESET EDIT / SEQUENCER sub menu.

NOTE: RTCHT CT is also a MOD destination.

There is also a panel button-combo to change RATCHET CNT. Hold the BANK button and press ARP BACK/FORTH to decrease, or hold the BANK button and press the ARP INVERT button to increase the ratchet multiple.

NOTE: The RATCHET CNT multiplier is universal for the entire sequence. You cannot have different Ratchet Counts per step, however, you can assign the SEQ MOD value (see below) directly to the RTCHT CT parameter so that every step can, effectively, have its own Ratchet Count.

TRY THIS: Go to GLOBAL MENU > CV MAPPING and map VOLUME to RTCHT CT. Now, plug a Foot Controller with a TRS plug into the VOL CV jack on the left side of the Sub 37. Toggle Ratchet On for some (or all) of your steps. Now you can sweep the Ratchet count on those Ratcheted steps from 1x to 8x, in real time.
--
Moose

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:26 pm

May I ask why you are swapping a Pro 2 for a Sub 37? It's not a troll question (even though I am troll ugly) I am very curious because they are both such excellent instruments. What was it about the DSI that you didn't like?

Glynbo

Post by Glynbo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:09 am

Hi again, firstly thanks for the replies, well pleased to see the Sub 37`s sequencer can ratchet. As to why I am getting rid of the Pro 2? I just have not connected with it. I was left some money in a will and was going to buy a Sub 37 then at the last minute I changed my mind and brought the Pro 2.I have had it for six months and still have found no love for it. In an ideal world I would like to own both but that is not financially possible, so the Pro 2 has to go.Its is good but its not a Moog :) :) :) ,Many thanks Glyn.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Thanks for the reply! I had been eyeing the Pro2, did not like the demos too much, then played one at a local shop. Did not do it for me sound-wise. Lots of great features, but the sound just didn't do it. Hence my question :)

Glynbo

Post by Glynbo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:Thanks for the reply! I had been eyeing the Pro2, did not like the demos too much, then played one at a local shop. Did not do it for me sound-wise. Lots of great features, but the sound just didn't do it. Hence my question :)
Thats the thing with me as well, it is a great featured synth but the sound does not grab. I have taken the plunge though and brought a Sub 37 and it is being delivered on wednesday :D :D , I can not wait to have a Moog again. I had a MiniMoog back in the seventies and its one synth I always regret getting rid of it., heres to many happy Mooging hours ahead. Cheers Glyn.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:40 pm

My brother in law has the pro2, I have the sub37.

They both sound good. Personally, I think the pro2 is a synth built around accommodating features, not about playability. The sub37 is perfect for hands on work, where as the pro2 I would almost rather have in tabletop format and just send midi and automation to it from my daw. It just "feels" strange. And I don't like the filters.

But I'm a Moog snob, I guess.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Glynbo

Post by Glynbo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Well I have taken the plunge and brought a Sub 37 and it is arriving on Wednesday, I can not wait. I still have the Pro 2 so it will be interesting to see how they compare. I have not had a Moog since the `1980`s` when I sold my Minimoog, and I still regret that to this day (but maybe not after Wednesday :D ).You never know the Pro 2 might even stay if it works well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .Cheers Glynbo.