Slim Phatty and a Step Sequencer

Everything Phatty.
mcfly88

Slim Phatty and a Step Sequencer

Post by mcfly88 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Hey, I have a had slim phatty for little over year now (which I love!). I was wondering what the best step sequencer options are.. that I could connect to it. I want to be able to enter notes in a particular order and have the sequencer play them in order entered (for example, if I wanted to play On The Run!). I was looking at the Korg SQ-1, but looking at videos it seems it can only play one note at a time (am I wrong wish this or can you do what I said above?) Any help would be great, thanks.

Stuka

Re: Slim Phatty and a Step Sequencer

Post by Stuka » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:22 am

The Slim Phatty should be able to work with just about any sequencer that sends note/gate information via MIDI or CV.

The Slim Phatty, like most Moog synths, is monophonic, so it can only play one note at a time.
But, the Pink Floyd classic "On the Run" sequence is also played one note at a time, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Of course, there is more going on with "On the Run" than just the synth sequence;
So, just like Pink Floyd's version, you'll need other instruments to play those additional parts, or make a multi-track recording, with the Slim used to playback/record each instrument part, one track at a time.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

jsharpphoto

Re: Slim Phatty and a Step Sequencer

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:13 pm

I briefly owned the Korg SQ-1, when I had the Ms-20m. It's pretty difficult to use with any sort of accuracy. The micro knobs are just too small. It has no memory. It is limited to 16 steps. And it's almost impossible to have it subdivide the clock.

For the same price you should get the Arturia Beat Step. It's much more advanced and has memory. If you want to go beyond that, the Beat Step Pro offers multiple sequencing channels and some fun add-ons, but if you're only sequencing one synth, the beat step is fine.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2