Filter CutOff Issue

Everything Phatty.
HALX

Filter CutOff Issue

Post by HALX » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi
After making some test, I noticed today that my sub37 have an issue with it's filter cutoff.
On the init preset, so with no modulation whatsoever, sweeping through the cut off, the sound disappear (is completly cutoff) at random frequencies (often around 5khz and 1.2Khz).
I have reset my settings, unplugged the unit, change presets and redid the test several time. Sometimes the filter works normally and suddenly it goes back to this behavior.
I just requested a RMA but i wanted to check with if there is anything that may be done without having to send back the unit.
I read there was some issue with the cutoff but they don't seem to be exactly the same than mine.
Thank You
Yosemite 64 / Ableton Live 9.6 / Moog Sub37 / Komplte Audio 6

aroom

Re: Filter CutOff Issue

Post by aroom » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:21 am

damn! I've got exactly the same issue. It looks different from the well known "smc pot issue" - but I can't really tell because my filter pot was fine till today.

it's on the 1.2 Khz spot, and it doesn't occur all the times.

which firmware are you running ? I'm running the 1.1.1p1 for now, I will update it right now to the 1.1.4 and check if anything changes

my serial : 11## / plastic pot

aroom

Post by aroom » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:53 am

so I'm on 1.1.4 now (comes with the editor beta). same problem.

I've posted a video : https://youtu.be/oln3gV1AU8Q

gian77

Post by gian77 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:31 am

Hi,

Got exactly the same issue shown on your video ...
My local store sent it to the french distributor (MESI) who made the repair (not directly sent to Moog in US).
Working now, but still have a plastic pot ... I would have imagined it was replaced by a metal one :roll:

Hope it's for good ...
Sub 37 (FW 1.2.0 / 1.0.1), Minitaur (FW 2.2.2 / 3.3.0), MF-Drive & MF-Delay
Ableton Live 11 on macOS Big Sur v11.2.3

HALX

Post by HALX » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi
Thanks for your answer. Yes it seems to be the same issue. My serial is SBT 03426 but I have no idea what it means.Is it one of the early unit ?
I run the 1.1 firmware. I will try the 1.4 beta with very little hope because it seems to not solve the problem and so the only way would be to send it back which is always a big hassle...It's such a shame because this is my first Moog and I love it. Was digging learning Synthesis with it a lot and I don't know how long it will take to have it back.
For now I have requested the RMA and I will keep this post updated.
Anybody knows if there is a way to have it repaired around New York instead of shipping it ? I would much prefer this for obvious reasons.

EDIT: I wrote I would try the 1.4 firmware (which seems to include the editor from my understanding) but I can't find it anywhere. Could you point me to the download link or share it if it's not available anymore ? Thanks !!
Yosemite 64 / Ableton Live 9.6 / Moog Sub37 / Komplte Audio 6

aroom

Post by aroom » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi,

maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry. the firmware 1.1.4 comes with the editor's beta. and only beta testers have it (I'm one of the beta testers). it's not available yet and it's just a version made for the editor. so you won't need it. anyway, it doesn't solve the problem. (I first thought that you were also a beta tester and that our issue was firmware related, but it isn't)

as it occur to me now, our common issue is in fact the famous/infamous "SMC Filter Pot" problem. there is already a long long thread about it here : http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23625.

it's a problem with the pot brush, and it need to be replaced. I can't help you about New York repair spot, I'm based in Europe. but you could ask the shop were you bought the synth ?

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:02 pm

same issue - I was going to call Sweetwater about this, but I will monitor this tread for a bit first

aroom

Post by aroom » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:15 pm

hi.

call your local store. don't wait for this post to evolve. this is a well known issue and it's easy to fix.

I sent mine to repair and got it back with the new board.