How is Panel Mode used?

Everything Phatty.
Libertine Lush

How is Panel Mode used?

Post by Libertine Lush » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:10 pm

What is the utility of Panel Mode? If it matters, I'm asking for the Sub 37.

I can understand Initialize mode. When I have a better understanding of the basics of sound synthesis, I can use Ini. mode to create patches, whereas for now, I most enjoy and find most suitable creating patches with factory presets as the starting point.

However, I can't imagine how Panel mode comes into usage. The manual says, "In PANEL mode, the sound you hear reflects the current position of the front- panel knobs and buttons. Parameters in this mode (other than the knobs) are saved in a special buffer, so you can pre-set the panel to retain any non-knob settings you choose." Still, I can't tell when I may use it.

Thanks for any help.

_DemonDan_

Re: How is Panel Mode used?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Libertine Lush wrote:What is the utility of Panel Mode? If it matters, I'm asking for the Sub 37.

I can understand Initialize mode. When I have a better understanding of the basics of sound synthesis, I can use Init mode to create patches, whereas for now, I most enjoy and find most suitable creating patches with factory presets as the starting point.
I would argue that you're better off starting from an Init. When you start from an existing preset there are often unseen connections that will inevitably come back to bite you as you start changing parameters.

When you start fresh, you know that all of your Mods are free and available.

Learn how to quickly set all the knobs to the values of an Init preset right after you've gone to an Init preset. (They're fairly obvious once you think about it.) Then, you'll have an Init preset that's also kinda' like Panel mode in that everything matches what it looks like.
Libertine Lush wrote:I can't imagine how Panel mode comes into usage. The manual says, "In PANEL mode, the sound you hear reflects the current position of the front- panel knobs and buttons. Parameters in this mode (other than the knobs) are saved in a special buffer, so you can pre-set the panel to retain any non-knob settings you choose." Still, I can't tell when I may use it.
In olden days... when there were a very limited number of presets, you could use Panel as a way of having one more sound ready to go. You could switch from any current preset to Panel mode and back.

Now, when you have hundreds of preset slots, Panel mode can seem a bit superfluous. But it's still acedemically useful sometimes to just hear the knobs as they currently are. If you were working hard on a preset, to the depths of having moved all or nearly all of the knobs, and then stupidly changed presets, you could get at least all of the knob settings back using Panel mode, giving you one more chance to save.

You can also alternate between a preset and Panel mode to match the virtual knob positions of a preset. (At least until we get the software Editor, which will show you everything.)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Libertine Lush

Post by Libertine Lush » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:29 am

Thank you for the comprehensiveness of your response. It's really instructive.
_DemonDan_ wrote:If you were working hard on a preset, to the depths of having moved all or nearly all of the knobs, and then stupidly changed presets, you could get at least all of the knob settings back using Panel mode, giving you one more chance to save.
Ah, really good use there!
_DemonDan_ wrote: (At least until we get the software Editor, which will show you everything.)
How does a software editor work? I presume we'll be able to see the value of every parameter for every preset, but is it only viewable after you transfer the data from the Sub 37 to the computer, through something I learned is called a Sysex dump, or can you actually view the preset values in real time on the computer as you're changing presets on the Moog?

jabberwalky

Post by jabberwalky » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Panel mode is perfect for recreating the idea of old synths. Every knob is exactly how it looks. I use panel mode almost exclusively. Saving presets only when something really unique comes up.
http://www.soundcloud.com/variar Retrowave music
Sub37, Minikorg700s, Maxikorg800dv, Eps16+, Roland D50, Dx7, An1x, Korg Poly61, Paia9700s, Korg Ds8, Micron, Shruthi1
Windows 8.1 64bit, Ableton 9.1, Vsts, Scarlett 18i8, Pot of coffee

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:01 pm

jabberwalky wrote:Panel mode is perfect for recreating the idea of old synths. Every knob is exactly how it looks. I use panel mode almost exclusively. Saving presets only when something really unique comes up.
That :)

Rufuss Sewell

Post by Rufuss Sewell » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:59 am

I just bought a Sub 37 so this is my first post!

I just wanted to say that Panel mode or Manual mode is where I spend most of my time on synths. I like to be able to see every value in it's actual position in front of me. I almost never use presets so for me, having a panel or manual mode is a big factor when I buy a synth.

Libertine Lush

Post by Libertine Lush » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:07 am

Rufuss Sewell wrote:I just bought a Sub 37 so this is my first post!
Welcome to the family!

fwilleke

Post by fwilleke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Actually, the longer I use the Sub 37, the more I find myself using *only* the panel mode.
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

15" late 2013 MacBook Pro
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.3