Noise always present when initializing patch (Sub Phatty)

Everything Phatty.
medwaystudios

Noise always present when initializing patch (Sub Phatty)

Post by medwaystudios » Wed May 20, 2015 5:54 am

Hi I just received my Sub Phatty yesterday and very happy with it so far.

One thing I noticed today, however, is that when I use the initialize patch function and then turn down all the OSCs and noise source and reset the ENVs, I get a low level of noise being reproduced on each keystroke.

If I take any existing patch and just do the same, lower all volumes, zero out the ENVs etc... then I don't get this issue. If anything there's maybe a very distant amount of noise on each keystroke but it's very negligible.

I've tried seeing what's going on with the patch before and after inside the editor but haven't found a link to what's going on.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Windows 7 x64 / Sub Phatty

mattyp

Re: Noise always present when initializing patch (Sub Phatty

Post by mattyp » Wed May 20, 2015 4:51 pm

when doing these comparisons make sure the envelope settings are the same also. Could be noise coming through when the envs trigger.
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

medwaystudios

Post by medwaystudios » Thu May 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi thanks, the sound is exactly the same only the hidden parameters are getting reset. What I need to do is save the same patch twice and then go through each parameter to see what's causing it.

Initially I thought it might be due to velocity sensitive being turned off on the reset thus making the sound louder but after testing that it didn't seem to be the cause.

medwaystudios

Post by medwaystudios » Fri May 22, 2015 6:40 am

Ok a little more testing and the noise seems to be somewhere after the Multidrive although it is affected by that control.

If I move the Multdrive in the middle the noise reduces in volume, it's at its peak volume at either the lowest or highest setting.

I made a little patch if anyone has the time to test to see if they hear it as well. On my system if I put a triangle at volume 6 and play C with transpose at 0 I get about -15db on the meters.

This noise makes an initial peak around -38db but then sustains down near -60db.

Cheers
Attachments
noise test.zip
(297 Bytes) Downloaded 125 times

medwaystudios

Post by medwaystudios » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:12 pm

So I got my Sub Phatty back from repair for a keyboard fault. Spoke to the tech about this and he pulled out a Little Phatty to compare to.

It had the same level of noise as mine so this seems to simply be part of the design.