Tool for managing presets?

Everything Phatty.
fwilleke

Tool for managing presets?

Post by fwilleke » Wed May 20, 2015 3:33 am

Hi there,

I have stored quite some custom presets on my Sub 37. Unfortunately, they are not really in order. Bass, lead, Fx and other presets right next to each other.
I know I can transfer presets to the computer and vice versa by using a Sysex tool like C6, but that's rather cumbersome. Is there a tool that technically does the same, but gives me a more accessible user interface to manage presets?

Thanks & greetings,
Frank
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

15" late 2013 MacBook Pro
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

paramnesia

Re: Tool for managing presets?

Post by paramnesia » Wed May 20, 2015 11:02 am

editor is in development, see other threads
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed May 20, 2015 11:11 am

jbottrop wrote:I know I can transfer presets to the computer and vice versa by using a Sysex tool like C6, but that's rather cumbersome.
Hi Frank,
With v.1.1 it's a little less cumbersome.

Dump each Sub 37 preset as CUR PRESET (Current Preset).
This will dump what is currently saved at that location (not any temporary edits in the buffer).
The cool new behavior is that, presets saved using CUR PRESET will automatically be saved at the current Preset # on the Sub 37.

So all you'd have to do is call up a Preset SysEx file on your SysEx app, go to the desired Preset # on your Sub 37, and press Play on your app.
One second later it will be saved to that Sub 37 Preset #.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Wed May 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Nice
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

fwilleke

Post by fwilleke » Wed May 20, 2015 1:01 pm

paramnesia wrote:editor is in development, see other threads
I know, but it's not there yet, so I'm looking for an alternative until it's finished.
_DemonDan_ wrote:With v.1.1 it's a little less cumbersome.

Dump each Sub 37 preset as CUR PRESET (Current Preset).
This will dump what is currently saved at that location (not any temporary edits in the buffer).
The cool new behavior is that, presets saved using CUR PRESET will automatically be saved at the current Preset # on the Sub 37.

So all you'd have to do is call up a Preset SysEx file on your SysEx app, go to the desired Preset # on your Sub 37, and press Play on your app.
One second later it will be saved to that Sub 37 Preset #.
Ah, that's nice. Much better than in earlier FW versions.

Still, it would be so cool if there was a tool that does the Sysex work and also allows me to organize the presets... But guess, such a tool does not exist... maybe I should write it :)
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

15" late 2013 MacBook Pro
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

JavaLaurence

Post by JavaLaurence » Wed May 20, 2015 3:15 pm

I also had a strong urge to write my own Sub 37 presets manager, but a friendly voice inside Moog told me that it might be a waste of time.. but was many months ago, so I'm really starting to wonder when the official manager is going to see the light of day. It better be really slick ;-)

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Wed May 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Surely there must be something less cumbersome on the freeware/shareware market that would do the trick? Universal patch editors/librarians have been around for years.
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

musicismath

Post by musicismath » Wed May 20, 2015 4:41 pm

Yup, hoping the Moog preset/plugin manager comes about soon as I've got to send mine off for the dreaded "Filter-pot-rot" repair and I would like to store and reorganise some of what I have ready to install on the freshly fixed machine.
OS = Win64
DAWs = Sonar X2, Ableton 9.5, Reason 8
Audio Interface = M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8r
Sub37

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed May 20, 2015 6:02 pm

musicismath wrote:Yup, hoping the Moog preset/plugin manager comes about soon as I've got to send mine off for the dreaded "Filter-pot-rot" repair and I would like to store and reorganise some of what I have ready to install on the freshly fixed machine.
Hi musicmath,

Do you have 1,000 custom-made Sub 37 presets, 256 presets, or less than 50?

Because it really will take you about 15 seconds per preset to call it up, dump it as CUR PRESET, and name it on your SysEx app.

When you get your fixed unit, it will take a few seconds per preset to call up the desired preset location and press Play (or Send) on the app.

If you can't afford to spend all those seconds right now, just use ALL PRESETS: SEND for now and do it when the unit gets back.

musicismath

Post by musicismath » Thu May 21, 2015 8:19 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote: Hi musicmath,
Do you have 1,000 custom-made Sub 37 presets, 256 presets, or less than 50?
Because it really will take you about 15 seconds per preset to call it up, dump it as CUR PRESET, and name it on your SysEx app.
When you get your fixed unit, it will take a few seconds per preset to call up the desired preset location and press Play (or Send) on the app.
If you can't afford to spend all those seconds right now, just use ALL PRESETS: SEND for now and do it when the unit gets back.
Cheers for the reply,
Firstly, I have 4 banks worth of presets, so no, not 1,000/256 or less than 50.
I am also aware that it is doable via CUR PRESET, although I have never used a SysEx app to rename presets with any of my synths.
I will likely end up doing this anyway seeing as the companion software isn't yet available....no real biggie, but as said, it would be nice if becomes available soon.

As for your last comment, I find that quite condescending, "If you can't afford to spend all those seconds right now". I may be reading it wrong, I apologise if so, but it reads like
"If you can't be bothered to spend a few minutes doing this, then just dump the presets as bulk an stop moaning".
I am not moaning or begrudging spending time doing it, it was a simple post to show that I too would be interested in the ability to do this and reorganise/rename presets within Moog's own software, which would hopefully make it quicker and being self contained, would also reduce the chance of user error or program error.
OS = Win64
Sub37

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:24 pm

You're reading it wrong.

Toine

Post by Toine » Fri May 22, 2015 2:48 am

Perhaps someone here is able to write a small librarian tool? :-)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri May 22, 2015 9:49 am

musicismath wrote:I am also aware that it is doable via CUR PRESET, although I have never used a SysEx app to rename presets with any of my synths.
Hi musicmath,

That would be a cool thing to be able to do but, what I meant was:

Typically, a SysEx app will call a received file "untitled.syx", and then you'd have to name the file.

Unfortunately, a standard "preset naming convention" for MIDI was never implemented that would work for all brands. (But that would have been a very useful feature to have had over the years.)

I mentioned it only because it's a significant portion of the time spent exporting individual presets via SysEx.

(P.S. I chose to use the unit of "seconds" only because that's the unit I used throughout the whole post. Don't read too much into it;-)

bernard

Post by bernard » Fri May 22, 2015 11:43 am

Is there a SysEx chart available anywhere?

musicismath

Post by musicismath » Fri May 22, 2015 12:42 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote: Hi musicmath,
That would be a cool thing to be able to do but, what I meant was:
Typically, a SysEx app will call a received file "untitled.syx", and then you'd have to name the file.
Unfortunately, a standard "preset naming convention" for MIDI was never implemented that would work for all brands. (But that would have been a very useful feature to have had over the years.)
I mentioned it only because it's a significant portion of the time spent exporting individual presets via SysEx.
(P.S. I chose to use the unit of "seconds" only because that's the unit I used throughout the whole post. Don't read too much into it;-)
Thanks for the reply mate.
Appreciate the info :)
OS = Win64
Sub37